Source language: Translate to:

Custom Shaped Windows

NeoBook tips, tricks, code samples and more...

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Custom Shaped Windows

Postby Jim Brammer » Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:51 pm

Special Shape Program Windows

If I create a special image that I want to use as a shape for my program, NB4 will use the shape and create an outline for the window. But when I then use my image as the background file for the shape, I always end up with a shape outline "line" around the window. One that is visible and slightly larger than my image. Because my image is a shape and has bevels etc, I cannot just use the picture object and make it alightly larger, it makes a mess of things.

Have others found the same outline? Have you found a way to work around it?

It seems the image shape needs to be about 99% of the size of the background image so that it is hidden.

Any thoughts or ideas?

<hr>

hi

does your picture has a keyboard-focus? In the Book-Properties, Section ACCESS you find DISPLAY VISIBLE MARQUEE. If activated, it produces an outline round the active object. Just deactivate that option ....

Gerhard

<hr>

Gerhard,

Thanks for you comments. I tried your comment and I think that only applies to objects (like pushbuttons) on the page and not to the outside sheck
shape.

At least it didn't make any difference to mine. Once again, it appears to be operator error.

The image I was using to make the shape has a slight shadow to it and that is what was making the thicker line around the edge. If I make my shape from a flat image and then tush
ign my "shadowed" image to the page property, it seems to extend over the shape and it is not seen. I'm still not real sure why the line should show up, as the images are the same size, but it does. Lesson Learned: If you are making a shaped pub, use non-shadowed images for you shape.

At least that is what I get out of it.

Don

<hr>

Don,

I also used the shape feature a lot and it works fine. The only prob is, NB looks for ONE shape color. Normally, when working in true-color space, especially when using JPG´s it is very hard (inpossible) to do the masking in one color. Maybe the RGB value differs only 1 step it won´t work right. The real bad thing is you also won´t see the very very small color-differences, but NB does. So when creating such a picture, take care of the shape color, that it is exactly one color and that there is no color-shading next to the picture-object itself. You can easily proof with NeoPaint and its color-swap option. I got also good results when increasing the color-tolerance when colorizing the shape area in one color ....

Gerhard

<hr>

Gerhard,

Say, that is good to know. I do appreciate your comments and I think others will benefit from that as well. What you are saying begins to make sence to me know that I have had to deal with it also.

Don

<hr>

Hi Don,

8-) you also should NEVER take a JPG for the shaping, because of it´s compression. Data will be lost !! So the saved result is NOT the same then the one you created in your paint-prog. PCX is much better and the NB-compression is also very good!

Gerhard

(Edited by Jim Brammer at 6:52 pm on Feb. 7, 2002)

(Edited by Jim Brammer at 6:53 pm on Feb. 7, 2002)
Jim Brammer

Return to NeoBook Knowledgebase