Source language: Translate to:

Thoughts on NeoPaint.. - The future

General questions about using NeoPaint

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Thoughts on NeoPaint.. - The future

Postby djold1 » Sun May 25, 2003 6:22 pm

NeoPaint is an excellent product. However, there are any number of "paint" programs of all descriptions, prices and capabilities available now. NeoPaint falls somewhere in the middle in ability.

Taking nothing away from NeoPaint and its many users I would like to respectfully suggest that it is time for it to gracefully disappear from the upgrade schedule of NeoSoft.

Right now NeoBook seems to be on a little run of popularity and the improvements in the form of upgrades in the past year or so have been remarkable.  However there are many features that could be added to improve it even more and make it even more competitive in its market.

I would hate to see any resources taken away from NeoBook for other product development. The last time there was an upgrade to NeoPaint, nothing happened on NeoBook for a very long time.
djold1

Thoughts on NeoPaint..

Postby Luiz Alfredo » Tue May 27, 2003 1:15 pm

With all respect of opinions. I think that at a good price, Neopaint can continue to exist and may be one atractive way to get new Neobook users. I think a great investment of labor and time has been dispensed on it and all knowlegement in Neopaint development can be applied to Neobook.
Luiz Alfredo

Thoughts on NeoPaint..

Postby djold1 » Tue May 27, 2003 2:57 pm

You have some good thoughts Luiz, and as you said it depends upon how an individual looks at it. Let me offer a viewpoint:

NeoPaint essentially is used for the editing and production of an image. That's all it does. It does it well but no better or worse than any number of other "paint" programs in its price class. If features were added to it it would still be something used to work on a single image. That image would then be used somewhere else in some other application.

In contrast, NeoBook is used to develop entire applications, some of them using images that may have been created or edited with a "paint" program. There are many "authoring" languages available from $10 to $1000.  NeoBook, because of the intense attention paid to it by NeoSoft in the past two+ years, has become almost unique in its power/price range.

Not only that, the attention that it has received from NeoSoft has inspired several commercial developers like Ronnie & Jay and the Editors toolbox people to produce some outstanding plug-ins that triple the power of NeoBook.  They will expect that NeoBook continue to improve itself or they will not longer be interested in making plug-ins for it.

You can't do that with NeoPaint.  The only paint programs that have plugins are from Adobe and Corel. Anything you could add to NeoPaint would only add a little to its apparent value to the buyer, because there are jillions of other paint programs all fighting for the same attention.

To sum it up: NeoPaint is a good little program with limited directions to go. On the other hand, NeoBook can do a lot more and due to a number of factors has the potential to become something of a powerhouse product if it receives the proper focus.

I am not suggesting that NeoPaint be taken off the market. I just personally can't see how it is worth much more expensive development time from a small programming staff for new upgrades.
djold1

Thoughts on NeoPaint..

Postby Frank » Wed May 28, 2003 2:11 am

Hi,

talking about it's price...

Take a look here:

http://www.broco.nl/producten/neosoftware/neopaint.htm
Frank

Thoughts on NeoPaint..

Postby NeoSoft Support » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:39 am

We plan to continue development of both NeoBook and NeoPaint as both products have proven to be popular with our customers.
NeoSoft Support

Thoughts on NeoPaint..

Postby Jolea » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:05 pm

I'd like to know where all these paint programs are.  I tried to find a good paint program that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  Most of the paint programs out there are now picture editing or so expensive that I can't afford them.  Picture editing doesn't use the same tools that Neopint gives you.  
I'm glad that Neosoft makes their program and I would never have heard about their other software if it wasn't for Neopaint!
Jolea

Thoughts on NeoPaint..

Postby Artie » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:28 am

One of the things that NeoPaint does, that no other paint program does nearly as well, (at least in my experience), is the "curve-line" tool.  You can open up NeoPaint for the first time and immediatly start making complex curved lines.

I've had Photoshop and Windows Paint for longer than NeoPaint and still can't figure out how to make either of those programs to do that simple function.

Artie

(Edited by Artie at 6:29 am on Oct. 24, 2003)
Artie

Thoughts on NeoPaint..

Postby Skyspirit » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:15 am

I too have great trouble with other image manipulation programs, i find that to do such simple tasks such as lines and curves i have to go round the moon to meet the sun to get them to do what i want,and then very often its not right, where as Neopaint is simple just pick up the tool and line and curve away to my hearts content.
Skyspirit

Thoughts on NeoPaint..

Postby NeopainterTroy » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:17 pm

I think neopaint holds up quite well in the current deluge of graphics programs.  I've tried others that have come with digital cameras or scanners they don't measure up.  While neopaint was designed for painting and not digital image manipulation it still holds up quite well for that.  The new red eye reduction and especially magic wand functions should help for those who want to edit images.  I suppose a blend function is all I can say I would like to see in the future, to aid in merging two images (putting my head on arnold schwarzenegger's body for example)
In addition neopaint has a non-sterile user interface.
NeopainterTroy

Thoughts on NeoPaint..

Postby Snooze » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:39 pm

I have Corel Photo-Paint and a 'lite' version of Adobe Photoshop. I've tried some of the 'freeware' programs out there as well. However, I usually go straight for Neopaint because it is quick and easy to use. Most of what I do is in the realm of editing an image, and these are usually not photos, but more basic 'drawings'. Neopaint excels at this, in my opinion. The other 'paint' programs are too complex for this type of work. I like being able to work pixel by pixel. I think there is definitely a place for Neopaint, but I don't expect frequent upgrades.
Snooze

Return to General NeoPaint Discussion