Source language: Translate to:

Barcode Scanner data

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Barcode Scanner data

Postby luishp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:25 am

I don't know if this is even possible with NeoBook but I would like to know your opinion about this problem:

There is an extensive collection of books (traditional paper books) each one with a barcode attached to identify it.
Later this year, the whole collection will take part of a bigger one and every single book will need a two digits prefix into the barcode.
Every new book added to the collection will get a new prefixed barcode.
To manage the collection a USB barcode scanner and a specific library software is used.
To avoid changing every single barcode on every single book I have thought on developing a really simple software that detects the number of digits and adds the prefix in case it is necessary.
But I don't know how to intercept the Scanner data before it is sent to the final software.

Any idea?

Thank you very much in advance.
Luis Hernández - SinLios Soluciones Digitales
http://sinlios.com
luishp

Re: Barcode Scanner data

Postby virger » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:39 am

COSTA RICA
PURA VIDA
virger

Re: Barcode Scanner data

Postby dpayer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:49 pm

I use a barcode scanner everyday with a Neobook app I have created as part of database inventory system.

The scanned data is put in an input field and the software of the USB scanner appends a Carriage Return [#13] to the input.

I read this input and look for a string of a minimum length with a CR character and then I modify as needed for my search. In your case, you can append the extra digits at this point.

If you are using a USB hand scanner, I think it likely it follows a similar method.

Hope this helps. Post more detail if you are still looking for a solution.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Return to General NeoBook Discussions