Source language: Translate to:

Top PhoneGap Mistakes

General questions about NeoAppBuilder - our rapid application development tool for building HTML5, web and mobile apps.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Top PhoneGap Mistakes

Postby luishp » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:58 am

I have found this interesting article:

https://github.com/jessemonroy650/top-p ... honegap.md

gusgusl would be interested on point 10.

Whenever possible I allways prefer to use WebApps over compiled PhoneGap Apps due to the limitations and complexities on PhoneGap.

Anyway I think compiled PhoneGap Apps are interesting if, and only if:
-You need to access native code on the device.
-You need to distribute your App through the App Store or Google Play.

If not, consider compiling a WebApp (pure HTML5, JavaScript and CSS) and host it on a webserver for distribution instead than sending it to a App Store:
-WebApps can be installed on movile devices and be executed FullScreen (just use the device web-browser menu to add it to the device desktop).
-WebApps can store Local Data and access remote resources as any other webpage would do.
-WebApps can run offline if previously installed and correctly configured.

I hope this to be useful.

Regards.
Last edited by luishp on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luis Hernández - SinLios Soluciones Digitales
http://sinlios.com
luishp

Re: Top PhoneGap Mistakes

Postby Gaev » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:03 am

luishp:

I agree about the benefits of WebApps ... plus ...

1) Easier to develop (same code no matter what device you are using)

2) Much easier to maintain/redistribute the App

3) Eliminate piracy
Gaev

Postby luishp » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:36 am

Yes Gaev, I think this is quite confussing for new comers so I will try to enligten it a little bit.

There are three types of Mobile Apps:

NATIVE APPS: To create native apps you need to program them in different languages for each platform: Java for Android, Objective C for iOS... NeoAppBuilder can not create this type of Apps.

WEB APPS: Apps completely developed using web technologies: HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript on client side and PHP or similar on server side. NeoAppBuilder is a GREAT tool for developing the client side part of WebApps. These Apps are hosted on a web site as they are technically webs.

HYBRID APPS: These are WEB APPS compiled within a special FrameWork (PhoneGap, Cordova, IonCube...) to get NATIVE APPS capabilities. NeoAppBuilder can generate this kind of Apps using PhoneGap Build, a free service from Adobe. Hybrid Apps can use many plugins to access device capabilities. This plugins are not the same than NeoAppBuilder Plugins, and at this time, can not be installed or configured within NeoAppBuilder.

Native and Hybrid Apps can only be distributed through App Stores and they must be validated first. You even have to pay a developer fee to get them listed on stores, and can be of course rejected if they do not follow the store policies.
Web Apps are distributed through a URL, as a simple website, but they can be installed on the device to get very similar design to Native Apps.

Hope it helps.
luishp

Postby gusgusl » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:43 am

Lo expuesto por ti me parece muy cierto, ya he probado con aplicaciones web en modo de prueba y las ventajas son muchas.
La única limitante que encuentro y no se como resolver eso sin usar un programa externo de edición web , es algún tipo de detección que dependiendo de que aparato se conecta el visitante lo envie al tipo de aplicación web acorde a su dispositivo

Ejemplo, he compilado una aplicación web usando el tamaño del "Smartphone galaxy s4" que trae "Neoapp" como plantilla, todo bien al correr en diferentes Smartphones y hasta en tablets pero si intento abrir esa pagina con la aplicación desde una Pc normal la aplicación sale toda estirada, por eso considero que debería haber cargado en el servidor 1 o 2 aplicación para diferentes tamaños y que se pueda detectar a cual enviar

Y la verdad, eso no se si se puede hacer desde Neoapp, seria algo asi como en la edición web se llama "Sitio Responsive" que se pueda adaptar el contenido a diferentes resoluciones
gusgusl

Postby luishp » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:55 am

gusgusl echa un vistazo al nuevo hilo del foro "Multiple Resolution App"
Take a look to the new Forum topic "Multiple Resolution App"
luishp

Return to General NeoAppBuilder Discussion