Source language: Translate to:

System Error Code: 1400 on Access Tables

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

System Error Code: 1400 on Access Tables

Postby Enigman » Mon May 23, 2016 11:17 am

I have an inventory management system that uses several tables in one MS Access database. Somewhere along the line in NB versions, I don't know when, it has started having problems with table access on the other tables besides the main inventory and sales. I don't see the error when I am doing normal operations with the main sales and inventory tables. But I have some smaller tables that hold things like shipping boxes sizes. Today for the first time in a long time I tried to add a new box size to the table. I handle it with a custom window that has a grid of the database. When I attempt to work with box the table I get this:

The actual sequence of events goes like this:

1) Open the menu of auxiliary tables.
2) Click the button to open the custom window with the table grid.
3) The window opens but the table grid only flashes the data on and then goes blank.
4) Close the custom window and the above error displays.
5) Open any other table grid window. The grid displays and shows the above error over the top of the grid.
6) Close the error.
7) Any additional attempt to close grid windows or deal with any data anywhere, including the main tables, repeats the above error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Enigman

Re: System Error Code: 1400 on Access Tables

Postby Enigman » Mon May 23, 2016 11:30 am

By the way, the thing that seems to start the problem is calling either of two specific tables, my event list and shipping box tables. Opening any other table by any means does not start the problem.
Enigman

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon May 23, 2016 7:32 pm

It could be an issue with the timing of opening and closing tables that appear within custom windows. Maybe you're already doing this, but what seems to work best is to open all the tables you'll be using when the pub starts and leave them open until the pub closes.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Enigman » Mon May 23, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks for replying.

When the pub initially starts, I open all the tables and leave them open until the pub closes. The main two tables are displayed in inventory and sales pages, while five other tables of lookup information are dealt with using custom windows and grid objects. As I mentioned above, I can open and deal with three of the five additional tables, but when I open either of the other two tables, then the error starts and once started any additional use of any table simply repeats the error. I must close the pub and reopen to continue.

The extra tables are rarely changed so I am not sure when this issue started. However the issue is consistent.
Enigman

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed May 25, 2016 6:24 pm

It may still be related to having grids on custom windows, but unfortunately I don't have a quick solution for you.

Are the db grid rectangles being used as the custom window object or are the rectangles placed on container objects that are used for the custom windows?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Enigman » Wed May 25, 2016 7:24 pm

The grid rectangles are just one part of the custom window. I don't use container objects, I use groups. There is a larger rectangle that is the background, an icon emblem graphic, a "Find" box field or a data bar, and a close button. The grid rectangle is in the middle. All of the custom windows use the same format. The photo above shows how they are structured. Three of them work fine and two do not. A while ago they all worked.

Could this be database corruption? If I enter the database manually in Access the tables all work fine.

Thanks.
Enigman

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu May 26, 2016 6:44 pm

3) The window opens but the table grid only flashes the data on and then goes blank.

Whatever is causing #3 above is probably the culprit. Check your pub's subroutines and see if there is any code there that might affect the table or grid that appears in the custom window. It could be an _OnOpen sub for the custom window or an OnChange sub for the table. The debugger may offer a clue as to what's happening when the custom window opens too.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Enigman » Thu May 26, 2016 8:09 pm

It's the window handle error that causes number 3 above and it is not consistent to a specific (or single) custom window. Lets call the error affected tables A and B. If I start the pub and open the window for table A, then the grid flashes on and then off and when I try to close the window I get the error dialog. If I then open the window for table B it displays, but the error comes up over it. The reverse is true as well.

If I start the pub and open the window for table B, then the grid flashes on and then off and when I try to close the window I get the error dialog. If I then open the window for table A it displays, but the error comes up over it. In other words either window for A or B will display the grid if it is opened SECOND.

Also if I start the pub and open the window for table A then the grid flashes on and then off and when I try to close the window I get the error dialog. If I then try to reopen the window for table A, it is just without any grid or error until I close the window.

There ARE some differences in how the tables are opened and the grids defined, but it's been so long since I developed this pub that I'll have to look at them and remember why they are the way they are. There IS a reason for the way each is defined, I just don't remember. The important thing is that I have not altered any of that code since it was first developed, and yet they all worked then and now they don't. :roll:
Enigman

Postby Enigman » Sat May 28, 2016 12:00 pm

Well, ... I did some checking of the code and did not find anything that seems to break the use of grids in the two specific custom windows. So I took the easy way out. I created another regular page and put all the support table grids on that page. The page has four grids, one for each support table, and all the grids are loaded at startup time. The fifth large support table remains on it's original custom window since that one is pretty complicated and it always worked without problems anyway. So with a significant design change, the problem went away. Not what I would call a true "fix". But I am the only user of the software, and it works, so what the heck. 8)
Enigman

Postby Neosoft Support » Sat May 28, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm glad you found a solution. I'm sure it has something to do with the way the custom windows are interacting with the DBPro grids in your app, but I haven't been able to duplicate the errors here. Moving the grids to another page was a good idea.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBookDBPro