Source language: Translate to:

Oh for the sake of Pete ... Win 10 Problem

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Oh for the sake of Pete ... Win 10 Problem

Postby Enigman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:27 pm

So, I spent the bulk of last year developing an application, which is now languishing in Beta mode because I have been busy on other stuff lately. But my family and friends are using the application now. Recently a family member upgraded to Windows 10. I asked them to run the application on Windows 10 and send me some screen shots since I am on Win 7. The program window was fine, but the application made extensive use of the browser object for displaying help and tutorial information, and that was the problem. The custom window containing the browser object looked like this:

You can see in the background that Windows cannot find IE to use with the browser.

Short of telling people to load IE instead of the new "Edge" browser, is there a fix for this?

The windows update was an update from Windows 8 to 10 and not a full scratch load.
Last edited by Enigman on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enigman

Re: Oh for the sake or Pete ... Win 10 Problem

Postby mishem » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:33 pm

mishem

Re: Oh for the sake of Pete ... Win 10 Problem

Postby Enigman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:31 pm

mishem wrote:http://www.neosoftware.com/community/search.php?keywords=Windows+10

LOL ... I don't know how many people have time to read 4,706 matches for that search, but I'm not one of them. :roll:

I wrote the post because I am looking for the >latest< state of the art regarding this problem. I need to know if I am going to have to abandon my software product over this issue. I put huge amounts of time into a large help and tutorial system based on the browser object, and I am not able to repeat that effort under some other help system. The horrific Windows 10 "card metaphor" design is bad enough, but I need to know if there is a "reasonable" workaround under Windows 10 for the browser object, or if cell phones, tablets and Microsoft have succeeded in killing the viability of decent desktop software.

Thanks and a pre-thanks to anyone having information on recovering from this.
Enigman

Postby mishem » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:50 pm

mishem

Postby Tony Kroos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:51 am

In short, we all waiting for Microsoft to fix this well-known issue. At this time, you may try to install nb patch mentioned above.
Tony Kroos

Postby Enigman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:22 am

mishem wrote:Well, I'll look.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21254&hilit=Windows10

In order not to read the whole topic.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21254&hilit=Windows10#p11218228

Thank you for locating that. I have downloaded the official patch, but have not installed it yet. I see from the comments that it might also cause other issues so hopefully that will get ironed out.

Thanks.
Enigman

Postby Enigman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:48 am

Tony Kroos wrote:In short, we all waiting for Microsoft to fix this well-known issue. At this time, you may try to install nb patch mentioned above.

Yes, I downloaded that. I saw that there are also other related issues at the hands of Microsloth. I am finding the direction that computing is taking to be quite disappointing. Like many other things it seems that "progress", a dubious term in this case, is moving toward less and less intelligent systems when it should be doing the opposite. Is that because the general public is becoming less and less intelligent and more and more device addictive? Or is it being driven by big businesses wanting people to BE more device addictive because it helps their quarterly report at the expense of our quality of life? Or is it both? Whichever it is, I am getting too old and tired to keep up the fight to produce intelligent and elegant software that the public actually wants. My stuff doesn't fit into the whole "big buttons for IQs below 60" mold.

Windows 10 is bad enough, but I had a situation happen two days ago that really just put most of the nails in the coffin of my enthusiasm for continued software development for the public in today's tech environment. I'll post that separately under the title "I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone" just so that anyone who is still optimistically developing can watch out for anything similar.

Thanks Tony.
Enigman

Postby Tony Kroos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:23 am

Is that because the general public is becoming less and less intelligent and more and more device addictive?

I would say that the whole software developers world is becoming less and less intelligent, because of low barrier to entry.
I remember 80-90'x days when programming languages (asm, C) were hard to learn and only true genious could develop good and widely-used software.
I think it was more difficult to learn in general - no internet, you have to read books and learn hard, you know...
Back then, we wanted to make things and life simplier - and this is what we got - win10.
Tony Kroos

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Enigman,

Recompiling your pubs with the current version of NeoBook (5.8.6) should solve the Internet Explorer error message under Windows 10. (You can blame Microsoft for that one!)

The other stuff... I can certainly sympathize with what you're saying. :(
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to General NeoBook Discussions