Source language: Translate to:

Receiving error: "Provider cannot be found. It may not be...

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Receiving error: "Provider cannot be found. It may not be...

Postby DantesGame » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:55 am

Hello,

I recently extended the functionality of the NeoBookDBPro address book to add the ability to search within the book and to add photos to records. The application works great on my local machine and I can even get it to run from a network directory but... When I try to launch the compiled .exe from another machine on our network I get the following error:

Provider cannot be found. It may not be installed properly.

I found these two old support articles that talk about this specific problem:

viewtopic.php?t=20199&p=11211628
http://50.63.174.181/community/viewtopi ... 16060f81cd

I tried the suggestions in each and still get the error message. The secondary machine I'm trying to launch the program on does have MS Access installed on it so I'm kind of stuck and hope somebody here has some suggestions on how to resolve this. Thank you for your eyes on this.

-Efrem
DantesGame

Re: Receiving error: "Provider cannot be found. It may not b

Postby stu » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:19 am

So your Access database file is on a shared location in the network...

\\DatabaseFiles\db.mdb

...sort of thing?

What does your connection string looks like?
stu

Postby DantesGame » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Stu,

Yes, it's in the PubDir and here's what I have in my Open Database button:

dbpOpenAccessDatabase "Company_Employees" "S:\IT Document Library\IT Security\Employee Database\company_employee_directory.accdb" ""
DantesGame

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Did you try the suggestions in those two posts you found?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby DantesGame » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:33 pm

Neosoft Support wrote:Did you try the suggestions in those two posts you found?

Yes--I mentioned that up above--but am still getting that error message on any other machine I try launching it from save for my own.
DantesGame

Postby stu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:34 am

DantesGame wrote:
Neosoft Support wrote:Did you try the suggestions in those two posts you found?

Yes--I mentioned that up above--but am still getting that error message on any other machine I try launching it from save for my own.

Try creating a new pub on the machine its giving trouble and link to the network database... See if that works
stu

Postby DantesGame » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi Stu,

Well, that worked. Don't know why. Don't know what the difference is but it worked. Thanks for the suggestion. I think maybe I'll start that way from this point forward when building shared applications like that (start building it on the network).

Regards,

-Efrem

EDIT: I wound up having to save the database in an older format and change the extension of the database from .accdb to .mdb in order to get this to work on our network. Still, I'm glad to have been able to do it and get it working.
Last edited by DantesGame on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DantesGame

Postby stu » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 am

DantesGame wrote:Hi Stu,

Well, that worked. Don't know why. Don't know what the difference is but it worked. Thanks for the suggestion. I think maybe I'll start that way from this point forward when building shared applications like that (start building it on the network).

Regards,

-Efrem

I would strongly recommend you to stop deploying Access based applications and start working with SQL Server instead, its more sustainable in the long run and you'll cease to query with that trash single/double/quote/bracket extravaganza Access uses... You'll find awesome support and communities and you'll no longer depend on the Business/Pro Office licence to deploy your applications... Of course this is if your deploys are aim to small to mid size businesses (SQL Server Express)...

Cheers
stu

Postby DantesGame » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:54 am

Hi Stu,

I appreciate the advice. If I had more time and a proper budget I'd love to take on SQL properly. Given that this little project I was working on was gratis for the nonprofit company I work for, they were very pleased to be able to move away from using Excel or Word to track employee profiles.

Regards,

-Efrem
DantesGame

Postby stu » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:04 am

DantesGame wrote:Hi Stu,

I appreciate the advice. If I had more time and a proper budget I'd love to take on SQL properly. Given that this little project I was working on was gratis for the nonprofit company I work for, they were very pleased to be able to move away from using Excel or Word to track employee profiles.

Regards,

-Efrem

To be totally honest with you I don't think the transition is as dramatic as one could think... And the end product is a lot more stable and sustainable... The only reason I come up with to walk away from Neobook/DbPro is the limited reporting capability... And grid component lack of fanciness... But theres workarounds...
stu

Return to NeoBookDBPro