Source language: Translate to:

Embedded Flash Player on websites

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Re: Embedded Flash Player on websites

Postby fkapnist » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:44 pm

BBC Flash videos are also dead on arrival with Windows 10 and the IE WebBrowser object...

The Adobe Flash team sent me this email:

Hi

Support for Adobe Flash Player is only available through support forums and community. Please contact Adobe flash player community through the below link and your query will be answered. In case you are unable to find a current thread, please start a new one with details of your issue.

https://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer

Kind Regards,

C Anish

Global Consumer Customer Success (Tier 3)

Adobe.

----------------------------------------------------------------

YouTube works at first (using the Neosoft Browser example with no plugins), but if you leave the page and then return to YouTube you'll get all sorts of Flash Player errors...

With Windows 10 something between Flash Player and the IE WebBrowser object doesn't seem to connect.... It is tragic for the Microsoft people, but they are not concerned about loss of face. Steve Ballmer's damage is just starting to show. Beware, Win 10 is worse than Vista! Give them time (5 yrs more?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My post to Adobe.... They will probably tell me to write to Microsoft, and Microsoft will tell me to write to Adobe, (ping pong anyone?)... :lol:

:mrgreen:

fkapnist

Postby Tony Kroos » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:11 pm

I cannot repeat what I did but I am pretty sure now the Win10 flash player problem is with the browser emulation in the registry.

I told you before about it.
it looks like Neobook automatically puts that setting back again and removes it when the program closes.

Yes it does. This behaviour was cancelled in latest nb 5.8.6 version:
Also, removed the confusing “IE7 Compatibility Mode” option. The browser will now always attempt to use the installed version of IE.
Tony Kroos

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:11 pm

However, I then noticed that in the CURRENT_USER section the "11001" DWORD setting was back in the registry again. And the AOL.com videos would not load or play once more. What happened? I assumed I deleted all references in the registry but it looks like Neobook automatically puts that setting back again and removes it when the program closes.

Yes, NeoBook does set the FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION registry setting. Without this IE defaults to running in IE7 mode which shouldn't work at all with most modern websites. The value set in the registry depends on what version of IE is installed. For IE11 the value would be 11001 which indicates IE 11 'Edge' mode. This is what Microsoft docs (what little there is) have always recommended. It could be that MS decided to change this in a recent Win10 update and the registry setting is no longer needed???

In v5.8.6 you can set a FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION registry setting for your exe manually before running and NeoBook should use that setting instead of creating its own. you can experiment with different values and see if any work better than 11001. If we can find something that works better, we can incorporate it into NeoBook.

(The reason this was changed in NeoBook v5.8.6 was because the old method wasn't working in Win10 either.)
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Tony Kroos » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:36 pm

Some off-topic, but... can you please repack (or left unpacked) your free KB, DB plugins? Looks like it's aspack issues with Chromium plugin.
Tony Kroos

Postby fkapnist » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:22 am

Neosoft Support wrote:
However, I then noticed that in the CURRENT_USER section the "11001" DWORD setting was back in the registry again. And the AOL.com videos would not load or play once more. What happened? I assumed I deleted all references in the registry but it looks like Neobook automatically puts that setting back again and removes it when the program closes.

Yes, NeoBook does set the FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION registry setting. Without this IE defaults to running in IE7 mode which shouldn't work at all with most modern websites. The value set in the registry depends on what version of IE is installed. For IE11 the value would be 11001 which indicates IE 11 'Edge' mode. This is what Microsoft docs (what little there is) have always recommended. It could be that MS decided to change this in a recent Win10 update and the registry setting is no longer needed???

In v5.8.6 you can set a FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION registry setting for your exe manually before running and NeoBook should use that setting instead of creating its own. you can experiment with different values and see if any work better than 11001. If we can find something that works better, we can incorporate it into NeoBook.

(The reason this was changed in NeoBook v5.8.6 was because the old method wasn't working in Win10 either.)

RE: In v5.8.6 you can set a FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION registry setting for your exe manually before running and NeoBook should use that setting instead of creating its own. you can experiment with different values and see if any work better than 11001.

I was told that in a 64bit system the settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Wow6432Node \Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION must be used instead. But Neobook over-rides that with its HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ setting

Maybe we should look into that?

http://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2011/May/21/Web-Browser-Control-Specifying-the-IE-Version

It would not surprise me if a Windows10 update made certain changes to IE11 (Microsoft said they would).

:?: :?: :?:

fkapnist

Postby fkapnist » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:44 am

I did some tests with the RealPlayer (realplay.exe) which also uses the IE WebBrowser object. The default DWORD setting it had was 8888. You can delete its entry so I tested and found that the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ key had no effect at all. Only the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ keys had an effect over realplay.exe (I have a 64bit system)

However, the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ key takes the priority. Any setting in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ key will not take effect unless the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ DWORD entry is first deleted.

But don't get your hopes too high. the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ entry would still not load or play AOL and BBC Flash. It seems that some 3rd party embedded Flash Players need to be upgraded for Windows 10.

I wish I knew what I did the other day to make it work. I got distracted and lost attention to what I was doing... that stupid FWORD, I mean DWORD....

:x
:roll:
fkapnist

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Some off-topic, but... can you please repack (or left unpacked) your free KB, DB plugins? Looks like it's aspack issues with Chromium plugin.

We can try that. I'll try to get to it later this week.

Chromium is probably overwriting to some memory that doesn't belong to it, otherwise it shouldn't matter what other plug-ins are doing.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Tony Kroos » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Neosoft Support wrote:
Chromium is probably overwriting to some memory that doesn't belong to it, otherwise it shouldn't matter what other plug-ins are doing.

The problem is that error is generated by KB/DB plugins but not Chromium, so it's hard to debug. And on WinXP everything works fine. Looks like the plugins were packed with AsPack 2.12, it's very old and outdated and I guess there might be problems with Win7/8/10.
Tony Kroos

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Yes AsPack is very old and no longer supported. It's probably best not to use it.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby fkapnist » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:01 pm

YouTube now uses an HTML5 player in IE11 (Windows 10)

But it still uses a Flash Player in the IE WebBrowser Object

The funny story is that IE is free, but you must often pay to get the IE WebBrowser Object controls working in your application. The paying customer gets the short end of the stick... http://www.essentialobjects.com/Purchase.aspx?f=6

:shock:

fkapnist

Postby Neosoft Support » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:28 pm

The EO.WebBrowser you link to is a commercial library for .NET that uses the open source Chromium engine. They have an example browser that you can download - it's only 78Mb!
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby fkapnist » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:49 am

Tony Kroos wrote:
fkapnist wrote:The Chromium plugin keeps crashing when I test it with Neobook....

You can provide some feedback if you are interested, so it can be fixed. Note that CEF (chromium embedded framework) project is under active development, so plugin is waiting for a next stable CEF release (Chromium v45) and will be updated soon (hope some bugs will disappear)..

My feedback: Chromium needs to easily access a folder for its own favorites or bookmarks. It also needs somewhere to save its own downloads. Since it is still under development, now might be a good time to implement tabbed browsing and a right click menu with more options.

The large size is of course a bit of a hassle, but the Firefox folder is also about 80Mb while Chrome is a whopping 400MB. It would be nice for the users to be able to switch between IE and Chromium browser objects. The initial installation could be IE but after the users get familiar with the application they can download and activate the Chromium framework. It looks like Microsoft wants to phase out IE in favor of Edge anyway, but who knows when their WebBrowser object will finally be upgraded.

:mrgreen:

fkapnist

Previous

Return to NeoBook and the Internet