Source language: Translate to:

Access Violation after upgrade to Windows 10 Neobook

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Access Violation after upgrade to Windows 10 Neobook

Postby jappell » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:38 am

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32976729/Neobook/ver.bmp
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32976729/Neobook/access%20vio.bmp

Problem - Windows 7 Pro no issues until Windows 10 came in the picture. Now that the upgrade has completed, the Neobook application needed to be reinstalled completely due to an access violation. The remaining issue is that every pub that I have cannot be opened without receiving an access violation (see attached).

Can you suggest a way for me to further troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Jay
jappell

Re: Access Violation after upgrade to Windows 10 Neobook

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:35 pm

We haven't had anyone report this particular error with Windows 10 specifically, but it does crop up on occasion. The very rare "LastCP is RF" error message apparently is caused by a corrupted file in the Windows Prefetch folder. This folder is maintained by Windows in order to load often used applications more quickly. For some reason, files here can become corrupted which can prevent some programs from loading.

According to one of our users, you can fix this problem by using Windows Explorer or similar file manager to navigate to the following folder on your hard drive:

C:\Windows\Prefetch

Delete any files here that start with "NEOBOOK.EXE..." or if the problem is happening with compiled pub exes then delete any files with those names.

To clarify, does the error appear when you open a .pub file from NeoBook or when launching a compiled pub exe?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby jappell » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi David, Thanks for your call today. From my testing today it looks like any .swf file I try to bring into Neobook on Windows 10 immediately crashes neobook.exe. Windows 7 does not demonstrate this symptom and operates properly. It does look to me that Neobooks "Flash Movie" is the conduit for introducing the failure. I tried 5 different .swf files and all five crash the application. As you discovered, when we removed the flash component the pub file opens properly.

Anybody running a .swf file in there .pub file on Windows 10?
jappell

Postby jappell » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:38 pm

I just found a flash demo on http://www.neosoftware.com/neobook/modules/pubs/singlefile.php?cid=10&lid=36. I tried to run that one as well and Neobook fails on Windows 10. Just providing more info.
jappell

Postby Neosoft Support » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:08 am

It's definitely the combination of Windows 10 + Flash that's causing the problem. NeoBook relies on the Shockwave ActiveX control to handle the actual loading and playing of Flash movies, so much of what's happening is beyond our control. However, I'll do some research to see if there is anything we can do on the NeoBook side to correct this.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby HPW » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:47 am

Hello,

I read elsewhere that other Flash user also get Problems with crashes after this:
On Sep 21 2015 Microsoft released KB3087040, a hot fix that fixes some security issues in Flash OCX.

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:45 pm

I wonder if there's a fix for the KB3087040 update and/or if it has anything to do with this?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to General NeoBook Discussions