Source language: Translate to:

What if you don't want to use IE11? (5.8.6 keeps running)

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

What if you don't want to use IE11? (5.8.6 keeps running)

Postby lmsoftware » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:11 pm

I have a question about the browser object of Neobook. What if you don't want to use IE11? Windows 10 now has been replaced by Microsoft Edge. Is there is option to change this to Edge, Chrome of Firefox?

I have problems with version 5.8.6. Most of the time the browser hangs after an URL is send to the browser object.

In Windows Task Manager I can see that the processor is running 49-52%!
It just keeps running, I can not close the application normal with the X-button.

I have Windows 7 (soon Windows 10), no plugins installed in Neobook.

I never had these problems before version 5.8.6. As soon as I updated I have this problem.
lmsoftware

Re: What if you don't want to use IE11? (5.8.6 keeps running

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Unfortunately, Microsoft forced us to make this change to be compatible with Windows 10. From what I've heard there appear to be bugs in the IE 11 browser shipped with Windows 10. Whether they will be fixed or not depends on Microsoft. It's possible that some browser problems may be caused by websites not being 100% compatible with IE 11 too. Some leading edge HTML5 and CSS features are not supported by all browsers. It's also entirely possible that there is something else going on in IE11/Win10 that will require more changed to NeoBook. If you can provide a list of websites that don't work, we can look into it.

What if you don't want to use IE11? Windows 10 now has been replaced by Microsoft Edge. Is there is option to change this to Edge, Chrome of Firefox?

There are probably thousands of programs that rely on IE for various HTML functions. Even some of Microsoft's own programs utilize IE, so it's not going away any time soon. IE is included with all versions of Windows (even 10) and it has an API that makes it easy for programmers to add web browser, HTML capabilities to their software with very little overhead. So far Microsoft has not made an API available for Edge. (If they do, we'll try to use it.) A rough API is available for Chrome, but it can be unstable and it adds between 30 and 50 MB of overhead to an application. (The required files are not distributed with the desktop version of Chrome so installing Chrome doesn't help.) This has been discussed at length in the forum.

NeoBook v5.8.6 will automatically use whatever version of IE is installed on the PC. This is done through a registry setting (unfortunately a very bad decision made by Microsoft a long time ago.) You can experiment with different registry settings to see if any work better with the website's you're using. A discussion of this can be found on the forum below:

http://www.neosoftware.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20784
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby lmsoftware » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:30 am

Hi,

The problem I have with Neobook 5.8.6 (browserproblem) is so annoying that I can't make software anymore because of this problem.
The browser is constantly hanging.

Example website: http://woning-koopwoning.startpagina.nl/

After loading this page into the browserfunction of neobook the CPU keeps running between 40-50 (my laptop is getting hot).
And you can't close the application.

Can you please look into this?
lmsoftware

Postby Tony Kroos » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:01 am

After loading this page into the browserfunction of neobook the CPU keeps running between 40-50 (my laptop is getting hot).
And you can't close the application.

Investigate into javascripts used on this page. Looks like JS engine fault.
Tony Kroos

Postby Neosoft Support » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:10 pm

There appears to be some ads on that page that are consuming a lot of CPU time - probably Flash. This happens with the stand-alone version IE and even Chrome. The appearance of the ad seems somewhat random. Sometimes the page displays a large ad on the right side and sometimes it doesn't. When the ad is present, the CPU usage goes way up and stays there. However, I didn't have any problems closing the stand-alone browsers or NeoBook. Add-blocking software on Chrome will prevent the ads from displaying.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby fkapnist » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:56 pm

If you can provide a list of websites that don't work, we can look into it.

http://www.billboard.com/ for example is causing me problems... Apparently it tries to download thousands of items! It finally gives me an error message about the script taking too long... but when I click OK on the alert, Neobook usually hangs.

Meanwhile I discovered this important bug-fix:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/175500

The script time-out value can be changed by modifying a registry entry. "Fix it for me" doesn't seem to work with Windows 10, but the manual fix does. It prevents the error message from displaying... but unfortunately the site still hangs most of the time....

A div layer containing advertisements tries to load but sometimes fails...

The adware site that causes Billboard to crash is rubiconproject.com
I put it in the restricted sites list of Internet Explorer and now Billboard does not crash. However rubiconproject also allows the user to "opt out" through their own site:
http://rubiconproject.com/privacy/consumer-online-profile-and-opt-out/

Unfortunately there are thousands of such third party adware sites. They try to interact with browser elements that don't exists with the Neobook WebBrowser object, thus causing it to crash..... We seriously need a new plugin to keep adware from flooding the Neobook WebBrowser object.

:cry:

fkapnist

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:54 pm

I wasn't able to reproduce the crashing with Windows 10 + IE11. I created a small NeoBook pub with a WebBrowser and didn't encounter any problems with either woning-koopwoning.startpagina.nl or billboard.com. Both seemed to display correctly and there were no errors when closing the pub. My sample pub just had three objects a WebBrowser and two buttons - no plug-ins.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby fkapnist » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:50 am

Neosoft Support wrote:I wasn't able to reproduce the crashing with Windows 10 + IE11. I created a small NeoBook pub with a WebBrowser and didn't encounter any problems with either woning-koopwoning.startpagina.nl or billboard.com. Both seemed to display correctly and there were no errors when closing the pub. My sample pub just had three objects a WebBrowser and two buttons - no plug-ins.

In my project some pages will load and display, however they will not allow other pages to load after that.... Are all the folder plug-ins and functions compiled at runtime or only those called?

:?:

fkapnist

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:02 pm

Are all the folder plug-ins and functions compiled at runtime or only those called?

Only the plug-ins you actually use in your pub will be compiled into the exe. The Book menu's File List command will tell you which plug-ins your pub uses.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby lmsoftware » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:10 am

I have the same problem.
Sometimes when an URL loads into the browerobject, the second website won't load.

After the new update of Neobook I can't make my software any more, now thinking of switching to PHP and leaving Neobook.
lmsoftware

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:11 pm

Peter,

I know you're familiar with the different IE emulation mode settings in the registry. If you add a key for your exe before your pub runs, the NeoBook will use that setting instead of creating one of its own. Does it make any difference if you set different IE mode options?

After the new update of Neobook I can't make my software any more, now thinking of switching to PHP and leaving Neobook.

Literally, the only thing that was changed in the update was the IE emulation mode registry setting which used to default to IE7. So far I have not been able to reproduce this problem under Windows 10. That doesn't mean the problem isn't happening for you, but the key to identifying and fixing any type of software bug is the ability to reproduce it. I am happy to look into this for you, but it would be very helpful is you could create a small sample pub file with a browser and one or two buttons that I can click on to easily reproduce the problem. Once I can reproduce the problem here it will be much easier to find a solution.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby fkapnist » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:28 am

Neosoft Support wrote:Peter,

I know you're familiar with the different IE emulation mode settings in the registry. If you add a key for your exe before your pub runs, the NeoBook will use that setting instead of creating one of its own. Does it make any difference if you set different IE mode options?

Literally, the only thing that was changed in the update was the IE emulation mode registry setting which used to default to IE7. So far I have not been able to reproduce this problem under Windows 10. That doesn't mean the problem isn't happening for you, but the key to identifying and fixing any type of software bug is the ability to reproduce it. I am happy to look into this for you, but it would be very helpful is you could create a small sample pub file with a browser and one or two buttons that I can click on to easily reproduce the problem. Once I can reproduce the problem here it will be much easier to find a solution.

I think most of the problems are caused by 3rd party ads that use Flash. But since they load randomly, they are not predictable (repeatable).... Is there a script that can disable Flash in an iframe? Also the downloaded Webrowser.exe example you have on the Neosoft site does not work for me no matter what IE settings I give it in the registry. Was it compiled with the old IE mode settings?

It appears that any application using the embedded WebBrowser object that was compiled before Windows 10, will simply not work with Windows 10. And that means every application will have to be re-compiled by the authors. Changing IE registry settings for compiled applications will not help. Oh, what a mess Microsoft made with this sudden move to lose more market shares.... :cry:

fkapnist

Postby fkapnist » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:52 am

By the way, here is a Firefox web object component for Delphi.
But it hasn't been updated for some years....

http://pbear.com/htmlviewers.html

:?:

fkapnist

Postby mishem » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:00 am

dmChromium

Chromium browser engine for Neobook.

Google translate

What is it
- The use of the object instead of the engine Chromium WebBrowser (engine system with Internet Explorer)
- Library engine built into the plug-in, and are independent of the version of the system libraries (as is the case with the standard object of the browser)
- Thus, the content of the browser will display the same regardless of the version of IE in the system (as is the case with the standard object of the browser), and always will support HTML5 / CSS3.

What you need to run
- Windows XP / 7/8
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and above will have to check and update in Windows Update or download. Enabled by default, only eight (4.5) in the seven default version 3.5 (requires plugin)

For details, see the topic, comments and suggestions, you can unsubscribe there.

As a test
- Libraries are connected at the start page are disabled when you exit. This can be done by hand buttons ON / OFF.
- After a successful connection tyknut tab is to create a browser test page, continue as usual. You can poke the buttons.
- Can you work out how potestit events in routines
- Without connecting libraries to poke do not, an error will be

Known bugs
- Plug-in is not compatible with some plugins from NeoSoft (NeobookDB, NeobookDX), they fall down with an error at startup. I do not know what could be so, but the fact ... While the reasons for this are unknown.
- If you disable libraries at the same time and closes the program window itself.
- Can still something left, I do not remember. Report.

Download
mishem

Postby fkapnist » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:42 am

fkapnist

Next

Return to General NeoBook Discussions