Source language: Translate to:

Embarassed to Ask about Multiuser

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Embarassed to Ask about Multiuser

Postby BRobinsonS » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:55 pm

I have customers asking if my software can be used on two different computers (Multiuser).
Its a membership application.
I have looked over DBPro topics about multiuser but don't see information I can use.
I am a 'by example' learner.

My app was built on 'AddressBook.mdb' from the example which comes with DBPro.

For one computer use I use
[PubDir]AddressBook.mdb
Therefore, I assume, only the computer where the database is located on the main computer can access the 'Access' database (excuse the pun).
What would I replace the [PubDir] with and how do I setup the second computer to use the AddressBook.mdb file?

Where do I locate the database so this can happen?
I would like to test this on my home network (not all wireless).

Thank you for your patience.
Brian Robinson
'When all else fails, try again!'
www.ComputerSoftwareSystems.com
BRobinsonS

Re: Embarassed to Ask about Multiuser

Postby Neosoft Support » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:37 pm

Here's a discussion about multi-user databases that might be helpful:

http://www.neosoftware.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20333&p=11212669&hilit=dbpro+multiuser#p11212669

Muti-user access can be very complicated, and may require a redesign of your program. The biggest issue is preventing two people editing the same record at the same time, which DBPro wasn't really designed to do.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Gaev » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Brian Robinson:

I have customers asking if my software can be used on two different computers (Multiuser).
Not at the same time ... only one computer can have the Access Database open at any one time.

Therefore, I assume, only the computer where the database is located on the main computer can access the 'Access' database.
The other computers can access the "Access" database if "you have read/write access for the mdb file from the other computers"

What would I replace the [PubDir] with and how do I setup the second computer to use the AddressBook.mdb file?
It all depends on your network connections and file access.

Using Windows Explorer (or its equivalent in newer versions of Windows), if you can locate an entry for the mdb file, then that is the (hard coded) file location you would need to specify e.g. if you have the required read/write access from the other computer, you might see "the files on drive c: of your main computer" on "drive n: (or some other letter) of your other computer".

But as a general rule, I would not attempt any such multi user usage ... hard to keep users from not accessing your Application one user at a time.

Generally, for shared access to databases, one would ...

a) use another database (MS SQL Server, mySQL, Oracle, IBM DB2 etc.)

b) place the database file on a separate computer (a server) ... either on the LAN or remotely accessed via the Internet

Once you try to go from single user to shared usage, things get complicated (technical) in a hurry.
Gaev

Postby BRobinsonS » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:48 pm

The biggest issue is preventing two people editing the same record at the same time, which DBPro wasn't really designed to do.

I understand this concept.

After reading your comments, I think I will stick with single user idea.

I have been asked if they can install on another computer with the idea of working at 'the office' or at home.
I have cautioned them to set up a system for keeping the database updated.
That is, if the membership person wants to work at home then take the database with them when they return to 'the 'office' they need to copy back the changed database.

This software is for Royal Canadian Legion Branches of various sizes.

Thanks for your input as always.
Brian Robinson
'When all else fails, try again!'
www.ComputerSoftwareSystems.com
BRobinsonS

Postby stu » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:38 am

Gaev wrote:Brian Robinson:

Not at the same time ... only one computer can have the Access Database open at any one time.

Therefore, I assume, only the computer where the database is located on the main computer can access the 'Access' database.
The other computers can access the "Access" database if "you have read/write access for the mdb file from the other computers"

It all depends on your network connections and file access.

Using Windows Explorer (or its equivalent in newer versions of Windows), if you can locate an entry for the mdb file, then that is the (hard coded) file location you would need to specify e.g. if you have the required read/write access from the other computer, you might see "the files on drive c: of your main computer" on "drive n: (or some other letter) of your other computer".

But as a general rule, I would not attempt any such multi user usage ... hard to keep users from not accessing your Application one user at a time.

Generally, for shared access to databases, one would ...

a) use another database (MS SQL Server, mySQL, Oracle, IBM DB2 etc.)

b) place the database file on a separate computer (a server) ... either on the LAN or remotely accessed via the Internet

Once you try to go from single user to shared usage, things get complicated (technical) in a hurry.

+1 for "a) use another database (MS SQL Server, mySQL, Oracle, IBM DB2 etc.)"
Microsoft Access hater.
stu

Postby skwood » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:32 pm

I'd also be aware of Data protection laws with regards to sticking any kind of database of personal details on a web server/LAN server. I'm sure you are using an encrypted database but there are further legal requirements when storing personal data of any kind.

Just something to keep in mind.
skwood

Return to NeoBookDBPro