Source language: Translate to:

Find Function

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Find Function

Postby johnpalm » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:02 am

When I use the FIND "ALL" function I get error messages that files are missing or can not be found. I know the files are there does anyone know why I get this error?
johnpalm

Re: Find Function

Postby Gaev » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:20 am

johnpalm:
files are missing or can not be found. I know the files are there does anyone know why I get this error?

The Help information for NeoBook's Find command says ...
Find

Purpose:
Display a Find dialog box and allow the reader to search for words or phrases. The search may be limited to a group of pages, the current page, or the entire publication.

Category:
Messages/Interaction

Syntax:
Find "page title"

page title

A page title or group of titles separated with the pipe character “|”. Pages will be searched in the order listed. Use “All” instead of a page title to search the entire publication, or “Current” to search only the current page.

Example:
Find "Contents|Introduction|index"

... so, the command has nothing to do with existence of files on the machine ... take a look at FileExists or FileList + SearchStr to check for files.
Gaev

Postby johnpalm » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:24 pm

I realize the design or function of the FIND action command is to find info on pages. The problem I have is that if there is a text file or .rtf file attached to or used on the page it returns an error of can't file "file name".txt or what ever the file name is. Then the user has to click each error to continue. I don't know how to stop this.
johnpalm

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Try selecting the "File List" command from NeoBook's Book menu and see if there are any files marked as missing. It may be that you have references somewhere to files that you're no longer using. That could be the cause of the error.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby johnpalm » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:58 am

Never thought of doing that, thanks I'll check that out.
johnpalm

Postby johnpalm » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:11 pm

I checked the file list and verified there are no missing files. If I physically place one of the files the Find Function says it cannot open in the folder of the program after installation, it does not display an error code for that missing file and it does locate an item within the file using the Find Function. Do you think it is not reading or finding the files (which are all .txt or .rtf files) because of something having to do with their embedding or compression? Is there some work around for this other than using the "baggage" files option? This is not an option for me because there are about 1000 files and I don't want someone to just copy these files that I have about 20 years of my time invested in the accumulated information contained in them. I can remove the "Find Function" altogether but it will take away from the program.
johnpalm

Postby Neosoft Support » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:20 am

The Find action won't try to open files that aren't referenced somewhere in your pub, so there must be something somewhere. The File List option won't show file names that are constructed from variables at run time or files that are referenced through hyperlinks embedded in RTF files. You might try searching your RTF files for hyperlinks and see if any of the problem files show up there.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby johnpalm » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:14 pm

I think this error should be reproducible. My pages have simple buttons that reference .txt files or .rtf files. Now as long as the files are in the same folder as the .exe file the FIND function will search through each text file that is on that page and will work flawlessly. After the pub is compiled and the files are compiled and compressed within the setup.exe file and the installed program.exe file that has been installed into it's own folder/directory you will get error message. If I take an original uncompiled, uncompressed text file and place it in the installed program folder the error message using find for that file goes away but only that file.....I'm totally stumped on this one. As I said before I want the files in the main program.exe file not stand alone. My only other choice is to not use the FIND function.
johnpalm

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:07 am

I think there has to be some type of link to the missing files somewhere. NeoBook won't try to search files that it doesn't know exist. It's possible that the compiler isn't including something it should. If that's the case it probably could be fixed, but unless we can reproduce the problem we can't fix it. Without seeing your pub, I can only guess about what might be triggering the errors. Is there any way you can send us a copy of your pub?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby johnpalm » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:22 am

I can send a copy of the .pub file, where do I send it?
johnpalm

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:53 am

I will also need the text files. You can send it to: info<at>neosoftware.com
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to General NeoBook Discussions