Source language: Translate to:

Is "Donation-Ware" working for anyone?

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Is "Donation-Ware" working for anyone?

Postby Enigman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:14 pm

Just curious, but I am wondering if anyone has created a donation based application (for licensing) and if so how is it working for you ... and do you set a minimum or how is it setup?

I know PayPal has donation payment capability, but I'm wondering what percentage of people actually do it.
Enigman

Re: Is "Donation-Ware" working for anyone?

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:57 pm

I've always found donation-ware intriguing, but I think the percentage of people who contribute would be really small, unless its something they really love or the author was very actively soliciting donations. What probably happens is that a small number of people end up subsidizing a larger number of essentially free(loading) users. (Of course, not everyone has extra money to donate/spend.)

One high profile donation-ware product I've heard of is Adblock:

https://adblockplus.org/en/donate

I don't know if it works for them or not, but it would be interesting to find out.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Enigman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:27 pm

I have a small system tray application that I created for my own use that keeps track of rock tumbling times and pops up to remind me when a barrel needs to be changed to the next grit. I considered making it available to others on a rock tumbling forum that I frequent. But then I thought rather than just give it away and field the inevitable support questions on my dime, why not make it donation-ware. If someone donates then they get support and the ability to request added features. If they don't, then "No Soup for Them". There's no pressure since I am not trying to make it commercial but I could have a nag screen that opens up every ten days or so. Donators get a code that shuts off the nag.

I know that the majority of people would blow off donating, but with sufficient nagging they'll either uninstall it or donate.

I'll look at Adblock and see what they do....

Okay, it's a simple page that allows any level of donation, even monthly. I once saw a page somewhere in the process of surfing that had different benefits for different levels of donation.

Anywho, if anyone has done donation-ware, chime in ...
Enigman

Postby HPW » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:28 pm

Hello,

For my plugins I can confirm that donation numbers are very small.
When donations would be my main motivation, I would have stopped work/support years ago.
Of cource I do not activly call for them every time I add something.

Anyway, thanks to the people who done it in the past.

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Return to General NeoBook Discussions