Source language: Translate to:

Rebranding Apps

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Rebranding Apps

Postby krackerjaxz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:23 am

I'd like to offer the ability to rebrand apps that I create with Neobook. What I'm wanting to do is sell the ability to rebrand (i.e. PLR) an app that I create with Neobook. Things I'd like users to be able to change would be the title within the app, author information, etc. Granted, this information would be nothing more than editing simple text objects.

One way I have thought of doing this is by having each text object pull the information from an external file. That is, each brandable app would pull certain information from an encrypted file. The branding tool would modify that file. In order to prevent tampering, I'd encrypt the information within the file using the npCiph plugin.

While that's one way, I'd really like to have everything self-contained. That is, the brandable app would be just one EXE file. Then, the rebranding tool would be a separate EXE file that could somehow modify the rebrandable app. Is there any way of doing this with Neobook?
krackerjaxz

Re: Rebranding Apps

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:30 am

You could just modify and recompile the app for each brand. The only other option would be to compile the app with the compiler's compress and encrypt option off. Then you could use a hex editor to search for certain strings within the exe and replace them with something else. You have to be careful about not exceeding the space allotted for each string, otherwise the exe will become corrupted.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby HPW » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:14 pm

You could just modify and recompile the app for each brand.

Keep in mind that the neobook Ide/Compiler has a batch-Option.
Since the Pub Format is plain text, you can modify a template and build rebranded apps automaticly.

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby krackerjaxz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:29 pm

HPW wrote:Keep in mind that the neobook Ide/Compiler has a batch-Option.
Since the Pub Format is plain text, you can modify a template and build rebranded apps automaticly.

Regards

Would I be able to compile from an application? That is, could I create an application from Neobook that can compile?
krackerjaxz

Postby HPW » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:59 pm

Hello,

From the doc Compile/Publish:
Code: Select all
NeoBook.exe /C "C:\MyDocuments\NeoBook 5\Sample Apps\Quick Tour\Quick Tour.pub"

So when your application call the run-command or can create a Batch and does the text-replace in the Pub-source, Yes.
You can not create a independent Compiler, but the app to use the neobook.exe for branded compilation.
(The neobook.exe (compiler) is licensend only to you.)
The Batch Option does the same as you would do it by Hand, but can save you a lot of time.
But it should be a higher number of branded apps, to get a return of invested time for Automation.
Of cource once it is done, it can be reused for every future projekt.

A similar Approach was used here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18741&p=11211798&hilit=commandline#p11211798

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby krackerjaxz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:21 pm

After wandering around the NeoSoft site, I did come up with one idea. I found out that Microsoft databases can contain files. This is something I'll have to read up on. I'm familiar with MySQL from developing websites, but not all that familiar with MDB files. I stumbled upon it while reading the features of the NeoSoftDBPro.

One idea I come up with would be to have the brander modify an MDB file. Granted, I'd change the file name extension to something that's more akin to my actual software. While reading the features on the NeoSoft website, I also discovered that MDB files can be encrypted. This would save me from having to use a separate plugin to encrypt the data contained within the database.
krackerjaxz

Postby Wrangler » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:11 am

krackerjaxz,

If security is a concern, don't rely on the mdb built-in encryption or password to stop anybody from accessing your data. This encryption is weak, and it takes about 3 seconds to get the mdb password with software costing 10 bucks on the net.

But if total security ISN'T a concern, your idea shows a lot of promise.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby krackerjaxz » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks for your input on MDB. I didn't get the chance yet to research the strength of encryption used for MDB files. The data that will be stored won't be ultra sensitive info. I plan to mainly use it to store settings. Users will be alloweds to save project files. The project file will be nothing more than a MDB file which will contain all of the info/settings for the project.

In one version of my software I will have the project file contain other files such as images. But that version is way in the future.

However, I do want to encrypt to try to prevent user tampering. I've looked at the npCiph plugin, which supports encrypting strings and files. My idea is to encrypt the string using npCiph, then add to the MDB, which isc encrypted using the default MDB method. While they could easily decrypt the MDB file, the data witin he decrypted MDB file would still be encrypted. I could even take it a step further and encrypt the MDB file as well with npCiph using a different key than the one used to encrypt the strings.
krackerjaxz

Return to General NeoBook Discussions