Source language: Translate to:

Simple step by step to make and install

General questions about NeoAppBuilder - our rapid application development tool for building HTML5, web and mobile apps.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Simple step by step to make and install

Postby datadon » Sat May 23, 2015 5:53 am

Ok, I'm about to start to finally get involved with the app builder. But I need some very basic information. Maybe someone can help.

1. It appears that the help file has not yet been created. Is that a true statement? If so is there any projected time for its deployment?

2. I am an android (user) so I am familiar with APK files. I install those on my phone and they work (usually). Can someone explain in simple steps what is required to get from this app builder file to an apk file?

3. Is there currently any way to run another installed app from the app builder app I just created? Don't know if one app and run another? It would have to close the one that runs the other but that would be ok.

4. What is the simplest way for an app novice like to to get up to speed with this new design environment. How much Javascript and html5 do I need to know? Are there things like scripts that I can just paste into a control and make magic happen?

Thanks for any help for all the pros out there. You are all impressive.

Ole dataDon
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Re: Simple step by step to make and install

Postby Neosoft Support » Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi Don,

1. It appears that the help file has not yet been created. Is that a true statement? If so is there any projected time for its deployment?

I'm sorry, there is no help file yet, but we'll create one as soon as we can. This project is evolving somewhat organically as a cooperative effort between NeoSoft and the beta testers, so we want feedback from all types of users - novice to advanced.

2. I am an android (user) so I am familiar with APK files. I install those on my phone and they work (usually). Can someone explain in simple steps what is required to get from this app builder file to an apk file?

There may be an option to create apk files directly in the future, but for now you can use a service called PhoneGap to do this. NeoAppBuilder's compile option will create a special ZIP file that can be uploaded to the PhoneGap Build website. After you compile a mobile app from NeoAppBuilder a screen will appear with a link to create a PhoneGap account which is free.

3. Is there currently any way to run another installed app from the app builder app I just created? Don't know if one app and run another? It would have to close the one that runs the other but that would be ok.

If both apps are html/web apps, then you can probably just enter the url of the other app into the link/href property of a Push Button. I don't think it's possible for an Android app to launch another app.

4. What is the simplest way for an app novice like to to get up to speed with this new design environment. How much Javascript and html5 do I need to know? Are there things like scripts that I can just paste into a control and make magic happen?

The interface and scripting language are similar to NeoBook. The scripting language isn't yet complete, but the idea is that you won't need to know anything about JavaScript. If you know NeoBook's scripting language then you can apply that knowledge to NeoAppBuilder. If you know a little about JavaScript then you will be able to do even more.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby luishp » Mon May 25, 2015 12:49 pm

I think it is possible to launch an app from another one on Android, although I have not tried it myself on a custom app:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2448213/how-to-implement-my-very-own-uri-scheme-on-android
Luis Hernández - SinLios Soluciones Digitales
http://sinlios.com
luishp

Postby datadon » Tue May 26, 2015 4:56 am

Thanks for the great feed back guys. That is encouraging or at least hopeful. I think anyway you can get the phonegap thing down to the simplest form is needed. I know a lot of the folks around here may have no problem with it but then there is the other group that will need all the help we can get. I am the president of that group. :oops:

"Build it and they will come.." oh wait that was baseball.

Don
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Postby Wrangler » Tue May 26, 2015 8:14 am

Hay, Don

It looks pretty intimidating right now, but that's because all the stuff us old farts need hasn't been added yet. Such as wizards. But I have faith in Riley. He'll make it so even an old fart can use it. Therefor I shall refrain from extensive beta testing at this moment, and strive to reserve it for old fart testing when it is needed at the end.

You are welcome to join me at that point, at which time we can wreak hovac on it's wizards and other old fart features that may not be properly tested by those who aren't blessed with the golden attributes of age.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue May 26, 2015 10:19 am

There is definitely a lot of ageism in high tech employment, product design and marketing.

Am I the only one who finds commercials for Apple products deeply depressing? How on earth do all those 20 year-old bohemians afford $500 Apple watches?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Gaev » Tue May 26, 2015 11:44 am

How on earth do all those 20 year-old bohemians afford $500 Apple watches?

... Easy Credit.

Just today, CBC had an article about the state of ($$$$) housing in parts of Canada ... http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/real-es ... -1.3086793 ... "house rich and cash poor".

For the last few years, we have had a show called "Till Debt Do Us Part" ... amazes me how people spend 150% of their after tax income for years on end ... some put it all on Credit Cards ... paying 18%/yr to 22%/yr in Interest.
Gaev

Postby Odd » Wed May 27, 2015 12:02 am

Don, I'll run for vice president 8)
Odd

Postby datadon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:16 am

Ok, I confess it is true, I am an old fart as some have alledged. I make no bones about it, except maybe fragile ones.

The truth is however, I have become spoiled. And the one who must take the blame for that is none other than Neo Dave. yes you David.

You spoiled me by making things too easy for me. You did all the work (ok we paid you for it but probably not enough) and the end result was that now I have come to expect it. "Easy" That stupid red button that Staples used should belong to Dave.

This laziness is not just Dave's fault but also the fault of age. I am now like an old dog that sits on the porch and barks. Doesn't really matter what it is that I bark about, I just enjoy that fact that now it is sort of expected of me. :roll:

Even at work (yes I still work and that is thanks to Dave also), I have gotten lazy. The other day they wanted me to learn some new fangled software. I barked back and said why would I do that. My Neobook already does all that and much more. Woof! Woof!

I enjoyed your comments, it's nice to have friends here. At work they just think I'm an old dog who won't learn new tricks. hehehehe if they only knew....
Don

datadon

Return to General NeoAppBuilder Discussion