Source language: Translate to:

Protect project resources in memory ?

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Protect project resources in memory ?

Postby Abdullah » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:39 am

I am looking for a plugin or method in Neobook to encrypt or corrupt project resources ( like Neobinary plugin ) , but I want the decryption or correcting the corruption done in the memory ; not by writing the working file on the harddrive.

Any Idea ?

Abdullah
Abdullah

Re: Protect project resources in memory ?

Postby dec » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:54 am

Hello Abdullah,

Please, can you explain a little more exactly what you wanted to do?
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
57 plugins, 1113 actions and 230 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby Abdullah » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:05 am

I want to encrypt/corrupt my project resource files and decrypt/correct them in the memory so no decrypted/corrected files written on the HD.

This resources may include sensitive files which I won't let user copy , modify or access it outside my application ; like MS Access DB , batch files or any important file.
Abdullah

Postby dec » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:32 am

Hello,

I am not sure if we can reach a general solution, at the least in my knowledge. Supose you want to work with an encrypted database, then maybe the best solution is to use the database provider encryption way.

For example, SQLite offer support for encryption databases, and the responsible to encrypt/decrypt and deal with the database is SQLite itself. We do not need to encrypt or decrypt anything, only provide the appropiate password when needed.

All of my plugins support for embedded files, then plugins like npCiph and npZips can work with embedded files. You can decrypt an embedded file and deal with an embedded Zip file, but decrypt or decompress must be made using the disk.

I think (maybe wrong) you can only work with embedded text files, that is, without the need to extract them before. I am not sure at this time if native NeoBook actions can do it (I think so) but, for example, my npStrs plugin can load strings from an embedded file, and you can work with it, without extract to the user disk.

I don't know if this can help you in some manner or not. ;)

Update: I can confirm that native NeoBook actions like "FileRead" work fine also using embedded files.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
57 plugins, 1113 actions and 230 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby Tony Kroos » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:37 am

Abdullah wrote:I want to encrypt/corrupt my project resource files and decrypt/correct them in the memory so no decrypted/corrected files written on the HD.

So let's pretend you had succesfully loaded and restored your file in memory, then what's next? How are you going to work with that data in memory? You also must implement your own way to actually execute (or read or whatever) your loaded "file" (byte stream) from memory. Any software (basically) works with files but not memory streams. Having a physical file is a basic concept of Windows file execution (exe, batch, whatever), everything else is a hacking techniques and not respected by anti-viruses.
My advice is to forget about that and find more appropriate way to protect your data (like encrypted database as advised before) in terms of FILES.
Tony Kroos

Postby Abdullah » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:01 am

I will see what I can do , but can we just put in the memory the sequence of reading encrypted files or something else rather that writing/reading the whole file from the memory ?
Abdullah

Return to PlugIn Discussions