Source language: Translate to:

Problem with Windows 7 UAC

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Problem with Windows 7 UAC

Postby calamar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:30 am

Hi everyone!

I created a small application for my company that access a DBase simple file to store some information. The app works fine in all personal computers but when I installed it in the machines we build, with a limited user account, the application can't access the database file.

At first moment, I installed it on "Program Files" without no luck. Then I tried to install it in the "ProgramData" folder, with the same result.

I compiled the app again with no execution levels but then it uses the VirtualStore and I need the app to access the "real" database file.

How do I have to compile the application to access the database file in a limited user account and where should I install it?

Thanks!
@mt!
===
calamar

Postby CN_Iceman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 am

I'm having a similar problem.

My program can't access files on another PC.
I'm using the path \\PC2\Data\file.dat but the same problem occurs using a virtual drive letter.

One machine is with Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) and the other one with Windows XP SP3 (32bit).

Let's wait for some help or ideas.

Greetings.
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
CN_Iceman

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:30 am

Unless the user has been granted read/write access to the folder the database cannot be opened. There isn't anything NeoBook can do about that. The only way to resolve the problem is to move the database to a folder the user can access like their personal documents folder. NeoBook's global [MyDocuments] variable can be used to determine the location of the current user's documents folder. If you place the database here, you can open it like this:

dbpOpenAccessDatabase "MyDB" "[MyDocuments]TheDatabase.mdb" ""

Or better yet place the database in a sub-folder with your program's name:

dbpOpenAccessDatabase "MyDB" "[MyDocuments]ProgramName\TheDatabase.mdb" ""
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby CN_Iceman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:22 am

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I had thought of copying the file from the network to a local folder, but my idea is to have a single file in my network and both PCs can access it.
I have given permissions to read and write but is not working.

The question is: Can Neobook read files on a network?

Greetings.
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
CN_Iceman

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 am

Can Neobook read files on a network?

Yes, but you need to use a mapped drive.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby CN_Iceman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:50 am

Thank's. I will try that.

Greetings.
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
CN_Iceman

Re: Problem with Windows 7 UAC

Postby chromebandit » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:57 pm

calamar wrote:Hi everyone!

I created a small application for my company that access a DBase simple file to store some information. The app works fine in all personal computers but when I installed it in the machines we build, with a limited user account, the application can't access the database file.

At first moment, I installed it on "Program Files" without no luck. Then I tried to install it in the "ProgramData" folder, with the same result.

I compiled the app again with no execution levels but then it uses the VirtualStore and I need the app to access the "real" database file.

How do I have to compile the application to access the database file in a limited user account and where should I install it?

Thanks!

Hi there

WIN 7 32 and 64 bit will mess up your database aplication - it will store a copy of your database in appdata virtual store - the best and easiest way you compile your pub so it will install on C:\ Drive --- you can create folders and subfolders - set your app as invoker - dont use the programm folders x86 or any other in win 7 you will run into problems hope this helps.

Regards
Chromebandit
chromebandit

Postby CN_Iceman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:43 pm

I forgot that some programs working on Windows 7 have problems on folders like "Program Files".

Thank's for the help.

Greetings / Saludos.
Greetings/Saludos, Jose.
www.icemansoft.es
CN_Iceman

Postby asawyer13 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:04 pm

If I install my program at c:\myprogram
will that get around the UAC issue in Windows 7, or MUST I put it in the MyDocuments folder?

Alan
asawyer13

Postby Wrangler » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:09 am

I don't think there is any way to circumvent UAC unless it is disabled by the user.

Taken from my Win7 help file:

What are User Account Control settings?

User Account Control (UAC) notifies you before changes are made to your computer that require administrator-level permission. The default UAC setting notifies you when programs try to make changes to your computer, but you can control how often you are notified by UAC by adjusting the settings.

The following table provides a description of the UAC settings and the potential impact of each setting to the security of your computer.

Setting
Description
Security Impact

Always notify
You will be notified before programs make changes to your computer or to Windows settings that require the permissions of an administrator.

When you're notified, your desktop will be dimmed, and you must either approve or deny the request in the UAC dialog box before you can do anything else on your computer. The dimming of your desktop is referred to as the secure desktop because other programs can't run while it's dimmed.
This is the most secure setting.

When you are notified, you should carefully read the contents of each dialog box before allowing changes to be made to your computer.

Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
You will be notified before programs make changes to your computer that require the permissions of an administrator.

You will not be notified if you try to make changes to Windows settings that require the permissions of an administrator.

You will be notified if a program outside of Windows tries to make changes to a Windows setting.
It's usually safe to allow changes to be made to Windows settings without you being notified. However, certain programs that come with Windows can have commands or data passed to them, and malicious software can take advantage of this by using these programs to install files or change settings on your computer. You should always be careful about which programs you allow to run on your computer.

Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
You will be notified before programs make changes to your computer that require the permissions of an administrator.

You will not be notified if you try to make changes to Windows settings that require the permissions of an administrator.

You will be notified if a program outside of Windows tries to make changes to a Windows setting.
This setting is the same as "Notify only when programs try to make changes to my computer," but you are not notified on the secure desktop.

Because the UAC dialog box isn't on the secure desktop with this setting, other programs might be able to interfere with the dialog's visual appearance. This is a small security risk if you already have a malicious program running on your computer.

Never notify
You will not be notified before any changes are made to your computer. If you are logged on as an administrator, programs can make changes to your computer without you knowing about it.

If you are logged on as a standard user, any changes that require the permissions of an administrator will automatically be denied.

If you select this setting, you will need to restart the computer to complete the process of turning off UAC. Once UAC is off, people that log on as administrator will always have the permissions of an administrator.
This is the least secure setting. When you set UAC to never notify, you open up your computer to potential security risks.

If you set UAC to never notify, you should be careful about which programs you run, because they will have the same access to the computer as you do. This includes reading and making changes to protected system areas, your personal data, saved files, and anything else stored on the computer. Programs will also be able to communicate and transfer information to and from anything your computer connects with, including the Internet.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Re: Problem with Windows 7 UAC

Postby fkapnist » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:24 pm

chromebandit wrote:
calamar wrote:Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Hi there

WIN 7 32 and 64 bit will mess up your database aplication - it will store a copy of your database in appdata virtual store - the best and easiest way you compile your pub so it will install on C:\ Drive --- you can create folders and subfolders - set your app as invoker - dont use the programm folders x86 or any other in win 7 you will run into problems hope this helps.

Regards
Chromebandit

A simple solution to access the user's AppData folder can be found here: http://www.neosoftware.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20810&p=11215751#p11215751

If you try to write directly to a Program Files folder (or Program Files x86 folder) where your PubDir might be stored, you may get an "access denied" error (and your program won't work).

:arrow:
fkapnist

Return to NeoBookDBPro