Source language: Translate to:

regarding build-in script language

General questions about NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

regarding build-in script language

Postby nb-user » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:27 am

Hello all.
One of my friends gave me the hint of the existance of neobook two years ago. Since I have a running computer again, it is back on board. Isn't it nice to have a british friend. In Germany, well stuff like that is unknow material. And like to years ago, I am getting that look when ever I tell people I wanna make an adventure game with that kind of software. Even I had to take a break it still tickels, if I think about that project. And seriously, I prefer neobook over any game engine which I could run on the Windows 8 in these days. By metioning W8, sometimes the newest neobook don't like to launch, than stops and can closed only by task manager. The next launch works fine. That as information to the NeoSoft Team. Other things working like ever as far as I can say it, didn't scriped massive amounts yet.

If it is not a secret, I would like to know which programming language you guys used to build up the inner script language. As a developer of such a big project it would help me to give correct information of the capabilities of future play. I will not die, if you don't want to, but I like it proper.

Thanks so far.
greetings
nb-user

Re: regarding build-in script language

Postby dpayer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:38 pm

nb-user wrote:If it is not a secret, I would like to know which programming language you guys used to build up the inner script language. As a developer of such a big project it would help me to give correct information of the capabilities of future play. I will not die, if you don't want to, but I like it proper.

Thanks so far.
greetings

I am not completely clear on your question. Are you asking what kind of language was used to create Neobook? If so, the answer is Delphi (Embarcadero). If you are asking what scripting languages can be used inside Neobook, they are VB script, Javascript, Neobook script.

If you are asking how do develop in Neobook script, I suggest reading the helpfile for suggestions.

Hope this helps.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:22 pm

By metioning W8, sometimes the newest neobook don't like to launch, than stops and can closed only by task manager. The next launch works fine.

We haven't had any other reports of this problem. Are you using any NeoBook plug-ins? Since they are loaded at start-up, plug-ins can sometimes cause strange behavior like this.

If it is not a secret, I would like to know which programming language you guys used to build up the inner script language.

The scripting languages NeoBook uses is just something we made up specifically for NeoBook. It's similar to Basic, but designed to be very easy-to-understand.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby nb-user » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Good Morning.
Delphi, oh good my thoughts were wrong. What a relief.

@NeoSoft
No, no plug-ins, but I still use the trial mode. Maybe it is just my W-system, it has sometimes its own will.
I can't tell how much I love Basic, so that's why I felt like home from the first second. I'm a happy person.

Thank you both, my question has been answered.
see ya guys
nb-user

Postby David de Argentina » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:00 am

Hi nb-user,

If you loves basic, you could use NeoThinBasic (an interpreted dialect of PowerBasic) as NeoBook Plugin.

See:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=20210

Good luck !

David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby nb-user » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks David.
I already know that thread. I will not switch to including plug-ins, just me and neobook that's it. I take it as fun time, work is in good progress. If time is right and people interested in, well I could open up a game thread later on and show a little bit of my stuff. Its like a dream coming true, hehe, at least for me.

greetings
nb-user

Postby dec » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:33 am

Hello,

In addition to the previously said, another possible script language to use in NeoBook publications is a flavour of Object Pascal (Delphi) using my npPasc plugin. This may can be interesting to someone. ;)
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby HPW » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:48 am

Hello,

To complete the list you may use also ruby, pdscript and newLisp.

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby dec » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:10 am

HPW wrote:Hello,

Regards

+1
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby dpayer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:38 am

HPW wrote:Hello,

Regards

Hans Peter, what are the differences in using these scripting tools through your plugin versus via the built in function mechanism that NB has which gives us access to VBscript and JScript?

I looked into getting the function mechanism to use Python could not see the way to get the WSH to use it as we do for VB or JScript.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby HPW » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Hello,

what are the differences in using these scripting tools through your plugin versus via the built in function mechanism that NB has which gives us access to VBscript and JScript?

First the fact that they does not need WSH and it's Overhead. Less dependencys. Smaller size. More Features for example scripted GUI in pdscript or power of lisp).

I am not sure if all possible scipting engines mentioned here ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Script_Host ) could be used from neobook via WSH.

In the end a matter of taste. As always use the right tool to get the Job done.

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby TMcD » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:41 pm

I'm starting to see that Python would be a great addition for expanding NeoBook.
TMcD

Return to General NeoBook Discussions