Source language: Translate to:

Windows 8.1 and Report Generation

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Windows 8.1 and Report Generation

Postby BRobinsonS » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 pm

I have a potential customer reporting that my pub/program crashes when generating reports under Windows 8.1.
It is a membership database program and is being used by me under Windows 7 without a problem.

Other users have not reported this problem.
I suggested the problem might be his anti-virus program.

Any insight would be helpful.
Brian Robinson
'When all else fails, try again!'
www.ComputerSoftwareSystems.com
BRobinsonS

Re: Windows 8.1 and Report Generation

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:49 am

Unfortunately, Windows 8 doesn't provide us with any useful information. I'm not aware of any problems with generating reports under Windows 8. Probably what you'll need to do is find a PC with Windows 8 installed and test your program there and see if you can reproduce the problem.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Wrangler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:08 am

If you can make a demo of the product, send it to me and I'll be glad to test it on my laptop with win8.1.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby BRobinsonS » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Wrangler,
Thanks for the offer. You can download the trial version at http://www.isalutesoftware.com and go to iSalute page to download.

I use this software myself and have 7 other Legions using the software without the problems this person is having using Win 8.1.
He is trying to help someone else with the software but is having trouble on his own computer.
I have asked if the membership chairperson he is helping is having trouble with her computer, but haven't heard back yet.

Again, thanks for the offer to try it on your Window 8.1 laptop.
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

Postby Wrangler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:14 pm

I'll test it for you when I get home tonite. :)

This sounds to me like an isolated problem with the computer it's installed on. Did you check if the client installed the software in Program Files or off the root?. On some systems installing in Program Files will cause an error, especially when using odbc. Also causes problems with some registration schemas. I would also recommend using a good registry cleaner on the problem machine and empty the windows temp folder. Also if they are on a LAN, they may not have permissions and must be logged in as admin.

In fact, I tell my clients to install the software by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator". If they already are admin, it will just install. If they aren't they will be prompted for the admin password. If the latter happens, then more than likely it's a permissions problem in your case and you can instruct them to contact the administrator to get the proper permissions.

And, as you stated, it could also be their anti-virus software. You might recommend they run your software with it disabled, just to test it. And, it could be one of 1000 other things in windows :( But the ones I mention are most common in support for my shareware.

Hope this helps and I'll get back once I've tested your demo.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby mishem » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Tried at your program. Generates reports no errors.
There is a syntax error. But it's my fault. I just generated a report compilation without entering any data.

Windows 8.1 system language Russian
mishem

Postby Wrangler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Tested on Asus Transformer T100 notebook/tablet with win 8.1 and 4 gigs of ram. Tried several reports and it did fine. The screen is only 10.1 in. and it fit nicely into the display. Note that I also run 10 or so of my own neobook creations on that laptop, and I've had no problems with any of them. Many of them use dbpro.

Don't let it get to ya that a few people have problems with your software. I've had potential customers that I had to refund because they couldn't get it to run. But it runs fine for 1000 other users with similar systems. Every system is configured differently. Hard to please them all.

So, how do I go about starting a legion here in Oregon USA? Now I've got some good software to track the members....... :lol:
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby BRobinsonS » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 pm

I understand Posts are equivalent to Legions here.

I understand there are some Royal Canadian Legions in the USA.

Potential new niche opportunity in USA??
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

Return to NeoBookDBPro