Source language: Translate to:

Open Table in MySQL

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Open Table in MySQL

Postby datadon » Sun May 18, 2014 5:10 am

I'm have a problem opening a table in a mysql connection. The connection test successful and the NB drop downs show the table. I select the table to open from the drop down but when I run it and try to open in rectangle it says it cannot open the table.

Code: Select all
dbpOpenDatabase "ProjDB" "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};Server=xxx;Database=xxx;User=xxx;Password=xxx;Option=3"

dbpOpenTable "ProjDB" "tasklistqr" ""

I can make a valid connection in access to mysql and it will show the table correctly. It does use an updated mysql driver. 5.2 ANSI

Any thoughts if you have had this problem before?
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Re: Open Table in MySQL

Postby Neosoft Support » Sun May 18, 2014 2:40 pm

Can you open the table in the MySql command line utility?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql.html
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby datadon » Sun May 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Well I think you lost me on that one. I downloaded and installed the mysql utilities but don't have a clue how to use them.

Just a bunch of black boxes flashing on and off, kind of like me after pulling 2 shifts and driving 200 miles.

how can I help you help me?
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Postby datadon » Mon May 19, 2014 5:29 am

I tried connecting to a different table in the same database and it displays fine. Seems there is something about the one table it does not like.

Any idea on how to find that? The table displays fine when linking to access 2010 with newer ODBC connection.
Don

datadon

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon May 19, 2014 9:14 am

Check the table's field names and make sure they contain only letters, numbers and "_" characters and no spaces.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby datadon » Fri May 23, 2014 11:30 am

Time to update this post. Thanks to some offline help by Dave, I was able to narrow the problem down to one small item that stopped the database from being linked to the mysql.

It was a simple matter of changing the datetime and timestamp fields in the mysql table to a null default value. It I used any other default value it would not import. Had nothing to do with whatever was in the fields, just the default value.

Yeah, a little weird, but those are the hard cold facts.

While here, anybody know how to actually edit the linked table and get the revisions back into the mysql. It always seems to disconnect if I try to make any changes. Right now I just export/import it into a new mdb and then import back into mysql via phpmyadmin. It works but a little sloppy. This is not my realm as you can see so any help is appreciated.

Don
Don

datadon

Postby Neosoft Support » Sat May 24, 2014 10:26 am

While here, anybody know how to actually edit the linked table and get the revisions back into the mysql. It always seems to disconnect if I try to make any changes.

Does DBPro report any error messages?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby datadon » Sat May 24, 2014 1:01 pm

All it says is something to the effect of "connection lost"

It seems that any action to modify the database shuts it down. I'll monitor it a bit more closely and watch for errors. I'm curious if others have this issue at all?
Don

datadon

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon May 26, 2014 10:13 am

Connecting to a remote Internet database from a desktop app can be very tricky. Most web servers have their security settings configured to prevent it by default.

If you're losing the connection it's probably something in the server's configuration.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBookDBPro