Source language: Translate to:

Possible damage...

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Possible damage...

Postby David de Argentina » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi all (specially Robert Cohen)

I take in mind run a php program like this:

Code: Select all
<?php
  $sock = socket_create(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, SOL_UDP);
  $msg = "0*0*0**11*500*0*190.17.201.56";
  $len = strlen($msg);
  $ip = 'here goes the user ip';
  $port = 80;

$time_start = microtime(true);

for ($x=0; $x<=10000; $x++)
    {
      socket_sendto($sock, $msg, $len, 0, $ip, $port);
    }

$time_end = microtime(true);
  $time = $time_end - $time_start;

echo "Process ended in $time seconds\n";

socket_close($sock);
?>

the program will get the user ip touring a users table of a MySQL database.

The media return value is less than 0.2 seconds.
This program shoud be executed by several (perhaps a lot of ) users at the same time.
Is this program dangerous for the server ?

On the other hand, i need change the port from 80 to 18000.
I know this port usually is closed into the server.
Are there any way to bypass this limitation?
(the port 18000 is where the users "listen" for messages, the server never get data for this port)

Thanks in advance,
David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Re: Possible damage...

Postby rcohen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:13 pm

First, Dave.... sorry it took so long to reply LOL... but I didn't get any notice about this post and I don't have the time very often to scan the forum. My apologies. If you (or anyone) needs me please contact me directly via email or through one of my sites. Thanks

It is NOT dangerous to hit the server (and especially mine) with many requests, unless you start to look like a DDOS ;-0 Our firewall and trip wires will surely stop you in your tracks if you hit the server "too many" times. Also, we employ a high end server with RAID1 and very fast processors for OUR use.... we are streaming audio and offering remotely embeddable widgets for our delivery. And surely if the system can handle that, it can handle about anything.

Now to open up ports that are currently closed ... ? That I'm afraid I can't do.... we have spent a LOT of time, money and resources tightening our server against hacks as we host a good number of open source projects, and I don't have to tell you what that means to server security. Our security team has gone through double duty to make sure our server is as tight as any (public) server can be. And it would simply be counter-productive to ask them to start opening ports that they have already deemed necessary to close. My apologies. However, with that said, if you ever require something that I CAN do without risking our guard, I'd be happy to assist you. Just please contact me directly ... never a problem

Cheers

r
rcohen

Return to NeoBook and the Internet