Source language: Translate to:

A puzzle to solve

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

A puzzle to solve

Postby BRobinsonS » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:18 pm

This is not a game question.

I have an app I wrote for a dog pound (which is irrelevant).
I have a report I created with sets up a relationship to a municipality table with the main table (intakedetails) so I can report the fees owed by each municipality for fees owed for services rendered.

The puzzle is this:
On my laptop Window 7 which I use for development the report shows the municipality name on the report.
Take this application to the Dog Pound office (Windows 7) run the report and the name doesn't show.
Take a copy of the database from the office (i.e. not my test database) copy it to my laptop and the name shows.

I even installed the app and database on a 'clean' machine (i.e. doesn't know Neobook exists) at my home office.
It shows the name. ????

My only guess since it using Access DB that Microsoft Office is installed on the Dog Pound computer and somehow is interfering with the app.
I also notice that the app acts funny in another way.
If I click the 'Prev' Button (no other action except this in the action window), the database wants to stay on the same record.
Click the 'Next' button and it moves and then Click 'Prev' button I can keep moving to the previous record as much as I want.

I have looked at the code and thought maybe I had found something but this persists.
But when I installed what I thought was corrected, the same problem.
Which of course, I only find out at the Dog Pound Office which is several miles/kilometres from me.

Any ideas?
Brian Robinson
'When all else fails, try again!'
www.ComputerSoftwareSystems.com
BRobinsonS

Re: A puzzle to solve

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 am

Having Microsoft Office installed shouldn't make any difference. There are two things that you might want to look into:

1. Make sure that the version of the Microsoft Data Access Control (MDAC) installed on the dog pound PC is up to date. The link below describe how to check the MDAC version:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/301202

See if the MDAC version on the dog pound PC is different than your other PCs.

More information about MDAC:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810805.aspx

2. Depending on the Windows version and security settings, the folder where your database files are stored could be an issue. For newer versions of Windows you should store your data files in the user's Documents folder or under App Data. Data files should no longer be stored under Program Files.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby BRobinsonS » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:47 pm

I looked at the Microsoft References re: MDAC.
On Friday past, I revisited the Dog Pound Office and checked to make sure it was not an older version of MDAC.
It was the same as on my W7 laptop and the 'clean' windows 7 computer.

The same results
1) doesn't display the Municipality name or Abbr (Abbreviation) in the report.
2) Trying to use Prev button does not allow you to go to previous record. (Next First then Previous works but it's embarrassing )

I even brought my laptop and should the client that it does work on my laptop as I claimed.

I am at a lost. Perhaps 'holes' in the database records which contains a 'blank record' which the report picks up.
Although I use a copy of the clients Database.

By the way, I was in error. I do not use a look up for this report. All fields are in the table I report on.
I group by 'Abbr' (abbreviation) and display the 'Abbr' code and 'Municipality' description.

I believe there is a solution. Usually the errors are mine and are revealed by the help I get here.
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

Postby Gaev » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Brian:
My only guess since it using Access DB that Microsoft Office is installed on the Dog Pound computer and somehow is interfering with the app.
To prove/disprove this theory ...

1) copy the .mdb file to another folder ... and run your report against it

2) if that does not work, create the .mdb database (and table) from scratch on the Dog Pound Computer ... populate it with a couple of records ... and see how the report looks

BTW, you can do this easily without writing any code if you use my AccessDBU utility.

You can also use it to visually inspect the structure of the datbase table(s) to see if there are any differences.

3) if still no cigar, please post the names of all the fields in the Database Table (dbpGetFieldDefs "database id" "table" "delimiter" "variable").
Gaev

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:15 pm

Is it possible that the actual .mdb file on your computer and the client's computer are different? Have you added fields to your version that don't exist in the client's version? Try adding a call to dbpGetFieldDefs to your program and compare the results on the different computers.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby BRobinsonS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Gaev and Support, Thank you for the suggestions.

I have a copy of the Database from the Dog Pound and works fine on my computers.
I even installed it on my Windows XP computer and works fine (shows report and no problem with 'Prev' record).

However, I will look closely at the fields information even though I am using the exact database from the Dog Pound as my test database.
It's a good 45 minutes to the Dog Pound office just to try.

I told the users they would have to write the Municipality on the report when they do it, but they need to send it elsewhere.
Also, as long as the click the 'Next' button then the 'Prev' button they can move backwards through the records.

Just to summarize (and I am not being critical of your thoughts), it works on my 2 Win 7 computers and 1 XP computer but not properly (except 2 items with everything else working as expected) on the Win 7 computer at the Dog Pound Office. :( :( :?: :?:
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 am

Just to be clear, the entire problem is that on the Dog Pound computer, the municipality name is blank on the report?

Other than that everything else works correctly?

Is it possible that the font you're using for the municipality name field is different than the font used for the rest of the report? Maybe that font isn't installed on the Dog Pound computer?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby BRobinsonS » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Yes name is blank except for Prev button which could be something in the coding.

Interesting idea about font :!:
I'll have to check to see what font I am using.

Just occurred to me: when I preview the report at the dog pound office there doesn't seem to be a space where the group band should be with the Name, but when I preview the report on the other computers, of course, the group band has the space to allow for the name.
Perhaps if the font is the problem then the group band is not expanded.

Thanks for the idea.
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

Postby BRobinsonS » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Font doesn't seem to be the problem.
The Group font for Abbr and Municipality is Arial 9 which is the font for the other parts of the report fields which show as expected.
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:50 am

This puzzle may not have a solution. If you want to send us a copy of your project we can try to reproduce the problem here. Even then, without having physical access to the actual problem computer, we're probably not going to be able to figure this out.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby JimmyC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Could it be that the problem PC has it fonts set as Medium 125% or Large 150% of normal in the windows control panel fonts settings? I have had occasional display issues using MS Access Navigational Forms on PC's where the user changed the Windows default size. As soon as I changed the Windows font size back to normal on the problematic PC----the Access Navigational Forms displayed correctly. I wonder if the user on the problem PC has changed the default Windows font size? Might be worth checking. JimC
JimmyC

Postby BRobinsonS » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:20 pm

This puzzle may not have a solution.

This may be the case. If it works on 3 of my computers and not the Dog Pound Computer, then I am pretty sure you would not find a problem either.
Not sure if it's worth the exercise. If I get a chance to send the project I will. How do I send you the project?

I wonder if the user on the problem PC has changed the default Windows font size? Might be worth checking. JimC

There is not a lot of tech savvy at the Dog Pound to be changing default size but maybe I can check this.
Don't know when I will be visiting them again.
My wife and I are leaving for a few weeks to Florida next weekend to get away from this Canadian Weather. :D We hope it's going to be warmer.

Thanks for the ideas.
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

Postby Wrangler » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:31 am

Check for a corrupt font file. Try reinstalling the font.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby mishem » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:12 am

I hardly understand what you mean ...
So sorry if not the topic ...

Database is not encrypted?
CHARSET correct?
mishem

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am

How do I send you the project?

Use NeoBook's Archive command in the Book menu to copy all of the required files to an empty folder. Zip the contents of that folder and send by email to: info <at> neosoftware <dot> com
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBookDBPro