Source language: Translate to:

Duplicate Records

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Duplicate Records

Postby BRobinsonS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:53 am

It may be my imagination I seem to be getting duplicate records maybe even a third one.

My membership database uses Active, InActive and All as general filters.
I am sure I only put one of the members in once, but I have had the same record (different record numbers) show up one or two additional times (Same member). Noticed this after doing some reports.

Perhaps some of my coding is causing this.

Anyone else experience this?
Brian Robinson
'When all else fails, try again!'
www.ComputerSoftwareSystems.com
BRobinsonS

Re: Duplicate Records

Postby dpayer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:51 am

BRobinsonS wrote:It may be my imagination I seem to be getting duplicate records maybe even a third one.
Anyone else experience this?

Are you using Access for this database or another option?

Typically when you make your table, you can define your column as a primary key. This will force uniqueness in this column. Then duplicates of that field are no longer possible. Ask Mr. Google for specifics.

David P.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby BRobinsonS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Using Access db.
Using member record as autoinc and primary.
Maybe that wasn't the best choice.

I did set an index using Lastname,FirstName.
Perhaps I should have made it unique.
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

Postby Gaev » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Brian Robinson:
I am sure I only put one of the members in once, but I have had the same record (different record numbers) show up one or two additional times (Same member).

Not clear what you mean but ... if the there are two records with the same "autoinc" value, there is something definitely wrong ... but if two records (with consecutive auto inc values) have the same "rest of content", it definitely points to "faulty mouse syndrome".

Unlike the other reported case, here, the Button code is responding as if you were clicking on the Button twice (not fast enough to register as a double click).

Do you have any form of feedback (e.g. AlertBox with autoinc number) every time a record is added ?

BTW, if you are using the built-in pad on a laptop (instead of a rodent looking device), these things can be very finicky ... on a friend's brand new laptop, even before I touched it, the click was being registered (static ?)
Gaev

Postby BRobinsonS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:27 pm

The autoinc field (Recno) is not the same, but the content of two different records are the same i.e. same first, last names, etc.

I think the problem is that I should have made an Index using Member number unique in addition to autoinc field.
If I understand unique indexes, DB Pro would alert me if I tried to add duplicate Member Numbers and therefore would not be duplicating a member's info.
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

About Duplicate Records

Postby carlos torres » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:23 pm

Dear BRobinsonS

You must try to use a real unique key ie. the ID card number of the members.
I got some cases (not more than a few) where there was coincident data w/ lastnames and firstnames
Using ID number as primary key access will warn you about duplicity.

regards
carlost
carlos torres

Postby BRobinsonS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:20 am

Problem: Creating Index based on Membership Number.
On another post some time ago, it was recommend the I use AutoInc field as primary index i.e idxMain using MemRec field.
So I did that which corrected the problem I was having at the time.

I had created an index based on LastName,FirstName field i.e. idxName for searching. That's ok.

Trying to prevent duplicates (as suggested here) I tried to add an index idxMemNo based on Membership Number and selected 'unique' but I get the message:

(not created) ... changes would create duplicate values in the index, or primary key or relationship. Change data in the field or fields containing duplicate data (which I have removed unless deleting does remove the reference), remove the index or redefine the index to allow duplicates

I haven't used Membership number in other indexes. Don't know why I can't create this index.
Tried using Member Number with RecNo but that would not be unique to the Member Number since the RecNo would be cause a different index value each time.

Suggestions? Like don't use the AutoInc field as Primary, Unique index?
Brian Robinson
BRobinsonS

Return to NeoBookDBPro