Source language: Translate to:

Transparent color in stamps NP4/NP5

General questions about using NeoPaint

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Transparent color in stamps NP4/NP5

Postby HPW » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:24 am

Hello,

In neopaint 4.7c I can edit/create STW stamps and define a transparent color in the picture info dialog.
However there is a bug when I reopen the stamp the stored color is not set again. I akways have to reset it manually.
Any change to get this fixed in old NP 4.7?

The second question is, how this work in neopaint 5.
There is no transparent color entry in the picture info dialog.
However when creating a new stamp there is a option for a 32 bit stamp with alpha support.
Is this meant to replace old 24 bit stamps? (Defining the transparent key color is a simple process)
What is the default stamp format when I choose 'Add' in the stamp window?

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Re: Transparent color in stamps NP4/NP5

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 pm

In neopaint 4.7c I can edit/create STW stamps and define a transparent color in the picture info dialog.
However there is a bug when I reopen the stamp the stored color is not set again. I akways have to reset it manually.
Any change to get this fixed in old NP 4.7?

I'm sorry, we don't plan to release any updates the old 4.7 version.

The second question is, how this work in neopaint 5. There is no transparent color entry in the picture info dialog. However when creating a new stamp there is a option for a 32 bit stamp with alpha support. Is this meant to replace old 24 bit stamps? (Defining the transparent key color is a simple process) What is the default stamp format when I choose 'Add' in the stamp window?

There really isn't any such thing as a transparent 24-bit image. We kind of fudged this with NeoPaint 4 by creating our own STW format that used a single color to indicate which pixels should be transparent. NeoPaint 5 can read the old v4 stamps, but in v5 most of the stamps are 32-bit with full alpha channel transparency. The quality of a 32-bit stamp is generally much higher than the old single color transparency method. So in v5, transparent stamps should be 32-bit.

A very simple trick to quickly create a 32-bit stamp from an existing image is to convert the image to 32-bit using the Picture > Convert To > 32-bit command. Then use the Picture > Define Transparency command to specify what part of the image should be transparent. Then save the image to one of the stamp folders in either STW or PNG format.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby HPW » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:08 am

Hello,

So in v5, transparent stamps should be 32-bit.

I understand the benefits of full featured 32 bit stamps.
But when I choose 'New' on STW a 24 bit option is offered. Why?
A test shows me that it default to color black as transparent. May cause unwanted behaviour when I need visible black.
And NP5 file format seems to have changed for STW.
My TIFF/STW reading component throws error about not supported compression sheme.
Even code form the GraphicEx library does fail on creating a preview for the fileopenbox.
Anyway: PNG stamps from NP5 works for me in hpwImage.

PS: NP4 can read 24 and 32 BIT STW from NP5 but defaults both to color black as transparent.

Regards

Hans-Peter
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 am

But when I choose 'New' on STW a 24 bit option is offered. Why?

I think you're right, the default probably should be 32-bit, but stamps do not have to be transparent.

A test shows me that it default to color black as transparent. May cause unwanted behaviour when I need visible black.

I will see if this can be changed/fixed in the next update.

And NP5 file format seems to have changed for STW.
My TIFF/STW reading component throws error about not supported compression sheme.

The STW format is just a TIFF file with a different extension. The transparent color is stored as a TIFF tag just like v4. There are several different TIFF compression schemes and this may have changed since v5 uses a different graphics library, but STWs are still valid TIFF files. GraphicEx may be using the file's extension to identify the format which won't work. Try renaming a STW to TIF and see if GraphicEx likes it.

PS: NP4 can read 24 and 32 BIT STW from NP5 but defaults both to color black as transparent.

NeoPaint 4 cannot read 32-bit files, so it ignores the alpha channel part of the stamp.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby HPW » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Hello,

The transparent color is stored as a TIFF tag just like v4.

Ok so far, but when I can not set it it is always stored to be black.

Try renaming a STW to TIF and see if GraphicEx likes it.

The NP4 STW is recognized and shown, so its not the extension.
So it seems to be a slightly different TIFF dialect.

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:14 am

Version 4 stamps use Packbits/RLE compression and v5 stamps use LZW compression.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to General NeoPaint Discussion