Source language: Translate to:

Plugin Request - Runtime objects, drag drop etc

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Plugin Request - Runtime objects, drag drop etc

Postby datadon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:36 am

Since I can't seem to let go of the idea I have and I can't seem to find a plugin or way to achieve it with standard NB objects, I am left with but one choice. I must request a plugin be made to meet my needs. How is that for bluntness. Not withstanding the fact that it may not be able to be done, however with the talent I have seen here, I think it may come to be anyway.

Here is what I would like to see. Maybe others may have a need for something similar.

At runtime, be able to select a shape, a line, circle, square as a mimimum, and be able to drag and drop it onto a grid. The object, one placed should be able to be resized by dragging a grip. It must also be able to be clicked or doubleclicked and run a subroute. The creation of these objects would come from either an action (CreateLine,pixilwidth,pixillength,color,locationx,locationy) for example. The box would have an additional parameter like pixilwidth. The circle would have a pixildiameter or pixilradius.

The main thing is that they be createable at runtime, dragable and resizable and then clickable to run an action or subroutine. Placing it on a grid would be good, but not required. Oh, and the layout (once placed) must be saveable or recordable so it can be recreated next time.

I am not asking this for free of course. If a tool is available for a cost that would work, please contac me and I would consider purchasing it.

So that is my request. Please contact me via this boards mail if you have questions or anythiing else.

If it simply cannot be done, well just let me know gently.
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Re: Plugin Request - Runtime objects, drag drop etc

Postby dec » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Hello Donald,

What happend with hpwSimpleGraph plugin? In principle I think your specifications can be achieve with this plugin, maybe with a little of more work by Hans Peter, but at the least without the need of begin from scratch. Are you tried with this plugin? What you need apart of the available capabilities? Or maybe you are thinking on a completely different thing?
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby HPW » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Hello,

Simpelgraph is a special component and not a generic vector graphic package.
And it does not match exactly Donalds requirements.
There might be few comercial delphi compnents which suppport similar functions.
But besides the costs it would be a lot work.

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby dec » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello,

Are clickables the objects placed onto the graph Hans? Maybe I do not understand the requeriments, but, talking about place rectangles, circles, images and other figures... Anyway, when you talk about possible Delphi components, are you talking about possible "design time panels" working with standard Windows controls like buttons, edits, etc.? Because Donald do not talk about these kind of controls, but figures like the refered before.

So If I can understand well the specifications, my first impression is to use the fantastic Delphi Area Simple Graph, but, your plugin use this component right now, so maybe is a better idea to add some new enhancements (if possible) that begin a new plugin from scratch. I don't know if I understand very well the specifications.
dec

Postby HPW » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:52 am

Hello,

>Are clickables the objects placed onto the graph Hans?

Not direkt clickable, but there is a set of global click events where you can get a handle(id) of the clicked item. Watch the debugger when you click on items (in editmode)

>Maybe I do not understand the requeriments, but, talking about place rectangles, circles, images and other figures...

Most would be possible, but a line has to be emulated by a link without end-options.
He would need to try out how far he could get.

>Anyway, when you talk about possible Delphi components, are you talking about possible "design time panels" working with standard Windows controls like buttons, edits, etc.?
>Because Donald do not talk about these kind of controls, but figures like the refered before.

No, I was talking about delphi vector graphic with interaction, for example: http://www.flex-graphics.com/

Regards
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby dec » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:28 am

Hello,

Thank you Hans. Probably Donald can take a look at some hpwSimpleGraph sample in order to take a look. I talk to Donald about this plugin before, but, maybe a deep look is needed here, including possible publication samples. So we can wait for a Donald reply. ;)
dec

Postby datadon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:07 am

I did take a look at simplegraphics and was not able to get it to do what I was looking for. I think it was a bit overwheming with all the options. I was not able to find something that would create a line etc. If someone could make a simple pub that would have a line that could be dragged and resized we might be close to what I need. Once placed and manipulated it would then need to be clickable (meaning some way of running a subroutine or action).

The vectorgraphics link was interesting as well. It sounds like it might work also but since I do not know he ins and outs of plugin development I cannot say what might work or not.

Any type of simple can library might work also. It need not be complicated, just lines, boxes, circles.

Thanks for your thoughts and considerations.
Don

'If you want to get a brontosaurus from 'a' to 'b' then you ride the dinosaur - you don't carry it!'
datadon

Postby datadon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 am

What about something like this?

http://www.simdesign.nl/dtpdocuments.html

I am only talking about using some limited uses of these products, not complete functionality.
Don

datadon

Postby dec » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:32 am

Hello,

Sorry, sorry, sorry, but I need to insist on hpwSimpleGraph, because you link to this:

http://www.simdesign.nl/dtpdocuments.html

... which is very similar to this other:

http://www.delphiarea.com/products/delp ... mplegraph/

... wich is the component in wich hpwSimpleGraph is based.

Lines... a line cannot be a rectangle with a very few height, for example?

However, I recognize that when I take a look at the SimpleGraph component demo (take a look Donald) somethings are not completely clear to me. For example, we can design a panel adding different figures, lock the figures, but, I don't know if we can finally get a panel in "runtime" without any "designtime" feature/capability/signal, since the component is not designed to present graphs at runtime (if I'm not wrong) but for design time... even when you can save a panel and then load it again.
dec

Postby datadon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:00 am

Is what I am requesting too confusing? I do not have enough knowledge of what is required to make a NB plugin so I am not of much use to you. It does not matter to me which component is used as long as the results work.

If anyone can do this then let me know what you would need from me. If it can't be done then so be it. I greatly appreciate the efforts.
Don

datadon

Postby datadon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 am

Don

datadon

Postby David de Argentina » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

Hi Don,

Take a look of this:

http://www.garybeene.com/sw/gbfloorplanner.htm

I don't know if Gary are interested on addapt this program, but i think is a good starting point.

if he does changes your need, i think is possible do a plugin.

My 0.01

David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby datadon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 am

David (again....) All I need now is to hear from Riley.

Do you know this gbeene? I couldn't tell if you alread know him or not. The concept would be good if it will work as a plugin. It would need to be able to link the object to a subroutine to work. Were you saying that you would try to make a plugin from it or just noting that it might be possible with gbeenes permission or help? An image of a line would be fine as long as it was dragable and resizeable.

Thanks for your comments.
Don

datadon

Postby David de Argentina » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:57 am

Hi Don,

Gary is a permanent collaborator of the Powerbasic forum.

He put a lot of source code on discussion.

He does not know me directly, only via PowerBasic Forum.

I think you could mail him, asking for your comments.

I think he could do your modifications, and after this, he (or myself) could do a NeoBook Plugin.

The PowerBasic Forum ( http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pbforums/ ) is for registered users only.

My username in this forum is David Marcovich, if you wanna tell about me.

If you tell him about me, is a good idea remember him i use PBWin 8.

Another 0.01

David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 am

I'm sure it's possible to create a plug-in that will do this. However, there are a couple of things you may want to consider: 1.) In most cases you cannot simply take an existing Delphi/PowerBasic library and convert it into a NeoBook plug-in. This is almost always a violation of the library's license agreement (and unfair to its author). It may be possible to negotiate a royalty agreement with the library's author, but often this can be prohibitively expensive. 2.) Creating a plug-in from scratch (especially without a library) can be quite expensive. Depending on the complexity of the plug-in, the cost may be too much for one person. It's also difficult to estimate in advance how much programming time will be needed to complete a plug-in project, so the costs can increase over time.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Next

Return to PlugIn Discussions