Source language: Translate to:

Modern UI integration

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Modern UI integration

Postby bingo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:37 am

Hello,
For a next release could it be possible to integrate our apps in Modern UI with a better support for icons format ?
Some customers ask why my old software won't display nicely on their start menu and why the apps won't show as native Windows 8 application...
Thanks
bingo

Re: Modern UI integration

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:47 pm

For a next release could it be possible to integrate our apps in Modern UI with a better support for icons format ?

By "Modern UI" do you mean the tiles that appear on the Windows 8 start screen? Microsoft itself seems to be confused about this:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/10/3232921/microsoft-modern-ui-style-metro-style-replacement

NeoBook currently supports the following icon sizes:

16 x 16 x 4bit (16 colors)
32 x 32 x 4bit
48 x 48 x 4bit
16 x 16 x 8bit (256 colors)
32 x 32 x 8bit
48 x 48 x 8bit
16 x 16 x 32bit (16 million colors + alpha channel)
32 x 32 x 32bit
48 x 48 x 32bit
128 x 128 x 32bit *

* This icon may be replaced with a compressed 256 x 256 x 32bit icon provided that the compressed size is 67,624 bytes or less. The 256 x 256 icon must be compressed or it will not be compiled.

What other sizes do you think we need?

Some customers ask why my old software won't display nicely on their start menu and why the apps won't show as native Windows 8 application...

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. NeoBook apps will run under the Windows 8 desktop. In addition to the normal desktop interface where 99.99% of all current Windows software will run, Windows 8 also includes a completely incompatible version called Windows RT, a less powerful Windows OS which is optimized for tablets and phones. RT cannot run standard Windows desktop apps, and NeoBook cannot currently create apps for Windows RT. Windows DLLs, like NeoBook plug-ins, also cannot run under Windows RT. In addition Windows RT is a closed system similar to the iPad. The only way to put software onto a Windows RT device is through the Windows App Store.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby bingo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:34 am

Hello Neosoft Support Member,

I didn't understand too so I installed Win8 for a try.

Icons : my own fault. My icons were ugly on the Windows 8 start menu (some lines in them + colored stripes). I recreated my icons in a better definition only for a Win8 application. Fixed.

About execution : you are right, the software starts on the desktop and not in the Win8 interface. I proposed my Customer to create a full screen app (kiosk mode) and he agreed. I now understand what he thought : application was not with "the look and feel".
The only thing I'll have to fix is how to quit like native Win8 app (drag from the top could be simulated but not return to the start menu (as far I have tested).

Warm regards and thanks for your return.
bingo

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:47 pm

We'll look into what kind of things we can do to improve Windows 8 integration.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBook Suggestions