Source language: Translate to:

StickyNote, Balloon, PopupImage

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

StickyNote, Balloon, PopupImage

Postby dpayer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:59 am

Many times we have a process that takes a bit of time to complete. Example: parsing a very long string into an array or importing it into a table.

It is good to notify the user this is happening so they can be patient with the process. I like the look of the StickyNote for this but I realize that it does not do what I thought it should do :)

If I have the stickynote display a wait message for X seconds (the amount of time needed for my process) it does so faithfully but only after doing so does the process take place. This defeats my purpose for using it.

I would like to make a suggested change for these notices. In the dialogue box that allows us to enter, time/click, content, placement, I would also like to have a checkbox that allows us to decide if we want the display to be simultaneous to our further actions or a precursor to it.

In other words, these items currently work just like the "DELAY" command. I would prefer they do their display while the script continues. If I know the script takes 5 seconds, I will give it a 5 second display time.

David P.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Re: StickyNote, Balloon, PopupImage

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:00 am

You can use a custom window for this. For example:

Code: Select all
CustomWindow "" "-1" "-1" "WaitMessage" "FixedPos"

...do something

CloseCustomWindow "WaitMessage"

The custom window can contain anything you like.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby dpayer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:52 am

Neosoft Support wrote:You can use a custom window for this. For example:
CustomWindow "" "-1" "-1" "WaitMessage" "FixedPos"
...do something
CloseCustomWindow "WaitMessage"

The custom window can contain anything you like.

I do see how I can do what I want by creating a text object and a timer object and then open the custom window to display the text object. I can do other things while that timer is counting so that is an advantage. It is interesting to see how my custom window is replaced by an object like an alertbox when that is called during the time the custom window is displaying.

Back to the initial point, is the intended purpose of Stickynotes to combine "display AND delay" ?

David P.
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby David de Argentina » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi DavidP

I know this is not the solution of your question,

but, for a while, you can display a NeoMSG AlertBox with a a programmable delay.

Take a look of this;

http://www.neosoftware.com/neobook/modu ... =5&lid=140

My more devaluated cent,

David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:49 am

Back to the initial point, is the intended purpose of Stickynotes to combine "display AND delay" ?

Yes, that's how it was designed. Now, having something to look at while actions continue in the background is a different objective. For that to really work, you need two actions - one to show the message, image, whatever and one to hide it when the work is done. Setting a fixed delay for the message really isn't reliable since actions can and do run faster or slower on different PCs.

What I've typically done is create an image or text object (or a container with several objects) to use as my busy message. Then I create two subroutines - one to show the busy message (CustomWindow) and one to hide it (CloseCustomWindow). I can then call these subs whenever I need to let the user know that they need to wait. For example:

GoSub "ShowBusyMsg"
..do something
GoSub "HideBusyMsg"

That's very easy and it gives me lots of flexibility to make the message look exactly the way I want it to.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBook Suggestions