Source language: Translate to:

NeoPaint 5 issues

General questions about using NeoPaint

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 am

Not all file formats are shown when browsing files. For example, when I browse a directory that contains JPG, PNG and JP2 files, only JPG files are shown. Of course I have "All formats" selected. I have to type *.* to show all files because such option is not listed.

I cannot reproduce this problem here. Does this happen with the open or save dialog? If it's just the save dialog, take a look at the "Save" tab on NeoPaint's Preferences screen.

There is a "Label0" text visible in the "Save As" dialog.

I don't know what that would be. It doesn't show up on any of the Windows PCs we have here. It may be something unique to Windows Server 2003 which isn't actually in our list of supported operating systems.

The available colours for palette colour images seem to limited somehow. When I open a palette colour image that has been saved using another application, convert it to 24-bit colour and back to palette colour in NeoPaint, I have less colours left

When editing a 24bit color image, NeoPaint will provide the full 16 million color palette. There should be no missing colors. Obviously, when converting a 24 bit (16m colors) image down to 8bit (256 colors) some compromises must be made. If the 24bit image actually uses fewer than 256 colors, the NeoPaint won't need to use the entire palette so you may end up with fewer colors in the palette than the original image, which probably had some unused palette entries to begin with. NeoPaint won't save unused colors from the old palette. Image quality, rather than the size of the palette, is the main goal when reducing an image from 16m colors down to 256 or 16 colors. I think from that perspective NeoPaint does a good job.

Typically, most editing can be done in 24 or 32bit modes where the full range of colors is available. Then when editing is complete the finished image can be reduced down to 8 or 4bit before saving.

When completely selecting a transparent image (Select All/Control+A) the selection indicator rectangle is one pixel off to the lower right. This is only visually though, when moving the selection or copying it, the result is correct.

That was a problem with the beta versions, but was fixed before the final release. I can't reproduce this problem with the final release version.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:05 am

About the palette colour issue, the image below is a 4-bit image with all 16 colours used. When converting this to 8 or 24-bits (or just copying it to the clipboard using Firefox) and back to 4-bits with NeoPaint, you will have only 8 colours left. You can already see it in the double pane comparision window before application.

OK, I understand what you're talking about. It's too bad this wasn't reported during beta testing, but we'll try to address it when we release a maintenance update shortly.

You are wrong about the selection issue being fixed, it remains in version 5.0.0 of 15 August 2012 but it is only visible when zoomed in 3x, 5x or more.

I haven't been able to reproduce this here. Is the problem limited to a specific Windows version, image size, etc.?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:13 am

Not all file formats are shown when browsing files. For example, when I browse a directory that contains JPG, PNG and JP2 files, only JPG files are shown. Of course I have "All formats" selected. I have to type *.* to show all files because such option is not listed.

Apparently, this is caused by a limit on the size of the file extension filter imposed by XP and lower versions of Windows. Evidently, NeoPaint supports too many file formats to fit within the filter size limit. (This is not a problem under Vista and Win7.) In the next update we will resolve this problem by changing the order of the extensions so that more often used ones (JPG, PNG, JP2, etc.) appear earlier in the filter list. Less often used extensions (some rare RAW formats) will be moved to the end to lessen the impact when XP truncates the filter list.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to General NeoPaint Discussion