Source language: Translate to:

New npTalk NeoPlugin for NeoBook

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

New npTalk NeoPlugin for NeoBook

Postby dec » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:28 am

Hi to all!

This plugin can turn your publications into simple and easy to use TCP/IP servers and clients. You can prepare your publication to act like a server, a client or both at the same time, allowing you to send ASCII text from servers to clients and viceversa.

The plugin is based on the native and well tested Windows Winsock(tm) and don't require any thirdty party file or DLL. Follow the philosophy of my other npMsgs plugin, but in this case you can communicate publications situated on differents computers around the world.

You can download the npTalk from here.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Re: New npTalk NeoPlugin for NeoBook

Postby dpayer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:30 pm

dec wrote:Hi to all!

This plugin can turn your publications into simple and easy to use TCP/IP servers and clients. You can prepare your publication to act like a server, a client or both at the same time, allowing you to send ASCII text from servers to clients and viceversa.

The plugin is based on the native and well tested Windows Winsock(tm) and don't require any thirdty party file or DLL. Follow the philosophy of my other npMsgs plugin, but in this case you can communicate publications situated on differents computers around the world.

You can download the npTalk from here.

Intriguing David. I will look into this. I have often wanted to create simple representations of the fundamental tools of the internet (DNS, SMTP, FTP) by starting from scratch with tool that provided socket connections. Mostly for the sake of understanding RFCs for these protocols.

I'll see what is possible with your plugin.

David P.
dpayer

Postby dec » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Hello,

dpayer wrote:Intriguing David. I will look into this. I have often wanted to create simple representations of the fundamental tools of the internet (DNS, SMTP, FTP) by starting from scratch with tool that provided socket connections. Mostly for the sake of understanding RFCs for these protocols.

I'll see what is possible with your plugin.

David P.

Thanks for your comment. In fact the plugin is quite simple, designed to be and maintain simple. "Only" allow you to connect servers with clients and viceversa, and send ASCII text. No files. No streaming. No other thing than just text. But hey, I never found a couple of components that work like a charm (and believe me, I test several of them), I mean like the components that I use in the plugin.

This plugin is very similar and the intention is similar too that my npMsgs plugin (a little better, since npMsgs put a limitation of 255 chars for every message, but again, this is sufficient for the plugin intended use) in terms of funtionallity, but npMsgs allow you to communicate publications in the same computer, and npTalk allow you to communicate from differents computers.

This plugin maybe are not useful for everyone, for example, if you need to send files this is not your plugin. Even when, maybe, in the future, I can add the needed actions to do this, in principle I decline this feature, but maintain the send and receive ASCII in the simple, easy and effective way that this plugin allow. And hoping this can be useful in certain NeoBook publications.
dec

Postby dpayer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:26 pm

dec wrote:Thanks for your comment. In fact the plugin is quite simple, designed to be and maintain simple. "Only" allow you to connect servers with clients and viceversa, and send ASCII text.

Understood.

Did you know that SMTP servers send/receive only text? They mime encode binary files (attachments) into streams of text as do POP servers.

The DNS service is done via predominantly with text. Telnet is text. HTTP is text, graphics in webpages are encoded and then decoded by the browser.

So much of the core of Internet services are done in text. The original protocols were built that way and then expanded upon.

David
dpayer

Postby dec » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Hello,

This plugin is not intended to be use as a base of any internet protocol David. However, I'am sure that maintain communicated publications on differentes computers can be useful, even when we can "only" use text for this. You can say "hello" from a client to a server, and server can maintain informed to the client (or clients) about certain things. Also the text can contain some formated information, conforming a some "new language" (which only your publication understand) or just using JSON, for example. But I think that talk about HTTP, POP, SMTP, Telnet, etc., in my honest opinion, is talking about "big words". ;)
dec

Postby dpayer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:28 pm

dec wrote:Hello,

This plugin is not intended to be use as a base of any internet protocol David. However, I'am sure that maintain communicated publications on differentes computers can be useful, even when we can "only" use text for this. You can say "hello" from a client to a server, and server can maintain informed to the client (or clients) about certain things. Also the text can contain some formated information, conforming a some "new language" (which only your publication understand) or just using JSON, for example. But I think that talk about HTTP, POP, SMTP, Telnet, etc., in my honest opinion, is talking about "big words". ;)

No prob. I have no expectation of creating server software.

I am interested in prototyping processes, in essence 'creating' protocols (by implementing the original RFC as I understand it). Example: the SMTP protocol is very verbose. The client opens a connection with the server and says "helo" and then the server responds with "OK 220" and then (if there is no encryption/authentication happening) the client identifies itself with "mail from: address@domain.com" then "rcpt to: otheraddress@domain.com" each time the server responds "ok" when it recieves the client command. Then the client says "data" and sends a CRLF and starts to send the content of the message.

When done with the data, the client puts a single dot on a line by itself and the server responds with "OK". Then the client ends the session with "quit" and the server says "OK"

That is the (original) SMTP protocol. It has been enhanced greatly since then.

so these 'protocols' are simply an exchange of text messages in a certain order. Of course there is error control involved as well.

David
dpayer

Postby dec » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Hello,

dpayer wrote:

No prob. I have no expectation of creating server software.

I am interested in prototyping processes, in essence 'creating' protocols (by implementing the original RFC as I understand it). Example: the SMTP protocol is very verbose. The client opens a connection with the server and says "helo" and then the server responds with "OK 220" and then (if there is no encryption/authentication happening) the client identifies itself with "mail from: address@domain.com" then "rcpt to: otheraddress@domain.com" each time the server responds "ok" when it recieves the client command. Then the client says "data" and sends a CRLF and starts to send the content of the message.

When done with the data, the client puts a single dot on a line by itself and the server responds with "OK". Then the client ends the session with "quit" and the server says "OK"

That is the (original) SMTP protocol. It has been enhanced greatly since then.

so these 'protocols' are simply an exchange of text messages in a certain order. Of course there is error control involved as well.

David

Follow your words, everything appear too easy... but I don't know if really we can implement something an SMTP client or server as easy as appear. ;) On the other hand, you are right with possible use of this plugin: maintain certain client and server communication to make something useful, on the server, on the client, or in both places. ;)
dec

Postby schmutly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:42 pm

That's what i like about the plugin David :)
I created a set of "text" commands embedded in the server side, and issue those to popup
messages,take a screenshot and upload to dropbox.com and even to run a dos
command to restart a service (i use a vnc program from echogent.com (sadly he stopped dev but his
echoserver and instantvnc still work perfect even now with Win7/8) and use that to update things
remotely if i need to (send a stop/start command because sometimes it will loose plot).
So i think the basic 'core' is there...i love it :D
I run my client,and if no connection after 1minute it'll redial & is minimized...once connected
if my mate types it will bring client to front etc...
Its fun...hope someone can workout a UPNP plugin soon to auto config a router (most have Upnp enabled)
and i think David de Argentina is working on one?? Hurry up mate lol.

Robbie
schmutly

Postby dec » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:13 am

Hello,

schmutly wrote:That's what i like about the plugin David :)
I created a set of "text" commands embedded in the server side, and issue those to popup
messages,take a screenshot and upload to dropbox.com and even to run a dos
command to restart a service (i use a vnc program from echogent.com (sadly he stopped dev but his
echoserver and instantvnc still work perfect even now with Win7/8) and use that to update things
remotely if i need to (send a stop/start command because sometimes it will loose plot).
So i think the basic 'core' is there...i love it :D
I run my client,and if no connection after 1minute it'll redial & is minimized...once connected
if my mate types it will bring client to front etc...
Its fun...hope someone can workout a UPNP plugin soon to auto config a router (most have Upnp enabled)

Robbie

Thanks Rob. ;)
dec

Postby dpayer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:16 am

schmutly wrote:That's what i like about the plugin David :)

Robbie

You may want to look at this page describing some concerns about UPNP:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe ... rity-bugs/
David Payer
Des Moines, Iowa
USA
dpayer

Postby schmutly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Hmm, that was a good "eye opening" read, thanks.
Did the tests on my system,no probs.
But seems like might be a bad option
until the manufactures bring out firmware fixes as
its still a convenient option to have,if not vulnerable.
Anyway, ta. ;)
Rob
schmutly

Postby stu » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:31 pm

I would like to see a video of how to make 2 pubs comunicate with this plugin... I cant manage to make it work and the help file is not really helpful, If someone have a guide on how to correctly use this plugins that will be great, for now I will keep the demo.
stu

Postby dec » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello,

stu wrote:I would like to see a video of how to make 2 pubs comunicate with this plugin... I cant manage to make it work and the help file is not really helpful, If someone have a guide on how to correctly use this plugins that will be great, for now I will keep the demo.

Are you tried with the included samples? You can found it in your "My Documents" folder once install the plugin.
dec

Postby stu » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:27 am

stu wrote:I would like to see a video of how to make 2 pubs comunicate with this plugin... I cant manage to make it work and the help file is not really helpful, If someone have a guide on how to correctly use this plugins that will be great, for now I will keep the demo.

Are you tried with the included samples? You can found it in your "My Documents" folder once install the plugin.

Sure, they work ok. But I mean communicate 2 apps that dont share network, and spetially that dont run in the same machine.
stu

Postby dec » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:37 am

Hello,

But you try with the samples in such scenario? Using the provided publications samples basically you need to run the Server publication in the machine you wanted to act like the server. Then you need to run the Client publication in the other machine, specify your server machine IP address and then try to connect. If you do this and can't connect, please, refer here the error message that you get.
dec

Next

Return to PlugIn Discussions