Source language: Translate to:

How do I access multiple sound cards?

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

How do I access multiple sound cards?

Postby djpilot » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi All,
Hope I have posted this question in the correct place.

I want to make an audio player that can play different tracks at the same time through different sound cards.
I wish to create an application that plays 2 music tracks at the same time with 1 track playing from sound card 1 and the other track playing from sound card 2.
This software would preferably run on XP/2000/Vista/Win7.

I can't see any plugin available that can do this and a search of the forum has not returned any ideas. Can anyone make a suggestion that could help me locate a solution?

Thanks in advance.
djpilot

Postby dec » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:29 am

Hello,

Are you tried npWave? I cannot test the wave player with various sound cards (since I have no more than one) but, in principle, you can play wave files any of the availables output devices, so, maybe is possible to do what you wanted. Take a look if you like.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
57 plugins, 1113 actions and 230 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby djpilot » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi Dec, thanks for the suggestion. I have had a look and created a sample pub using the npWave demo plugin. It seems that if it supported files other than just wave files it would do the job I need.

None of the files I use are in wave format and they never will be (due to file sizes). npWave would need to support more commonly used compressed formats such as mp3, wma, etc for it to be useful to me. (Yes I know I didn't mention that in my original post - so you actually answered my question perfectly).

Thanks again.
djpilot

Postby dec » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:56 am

Hello,

Sorry for that. Maybe you can convert other files to WAVE, since "npWave" did not support other kind of files. This plugin can work with WAVE files, recording and playing it, but no other files can be supported, since the components in which the plugin is based did not work with other files. Maybe I can incorporate some routines in order to convert from other formats to WAVE but I think this task is out of the plugin scope. Or we need to rename the plugin to "npWaveAndOthers". ;)

Anyway, hope you can found another possible solution. Maybe other mate can help here on your question.
dec

Postby Ndzn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:32 am

djpilot and dec,

NeoSoft's NeoBookDX is probably what you're looking for...

http://www.neosoftware.com/neobook/modules/plugins/singlefile.php?cid=13&lid=4

It's very flexible and with it you can create independent players, each capable of playing separate media files.
Ndzn

Postby dec » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:25 am

Hello,

Ndzn, of course NeoBookDX is a great plugin and can reproduce various sounds at a time, but I'm not sure if they can reproduce sounds using differents sound cards, which apparently is the question of this thread. Maybe I'm wrong and NeoBookDX can do the job. Anyway djpilot can take a look at NeoBookDX and may found that can be useful. ;)
dec

Postby Ndzn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:16 am

My suggestion was based up on the assumption that perhaps it was not known that it is quite possible to play more than one media file at the same time without requiring separate sound cards.
Ndzn

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:28 am

NeoBookDX can play multiple sound files at the same time, but it will use the default sound card. It does not have the ability to choose from multiple sound cards. (I'm not sure how many people have multiple sound cards installed.)

You might be able to create a VBScript function to set different sound cards as the default, before playing each sound if using different sound cards is really necessary.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby djpilot » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the comments and thoughts, they are all appreciated.

I have been using NeoBookDX for many years now and it is a fantastic plugin. I actually wrote a commercial nightclub video DJ application with it many years ago that is still in use today. It works with and plays multiple files at the same time when mixing songs and outputs to a single sound card. One feature this program is missing is the ability to 'listen' to another track through headphones while the program plays the music to the crowd (most DJ applications do this) using a second sound card.

The ideal solution for me would be for NeoBookDX to be able to specify what sound card to use for each player object created.

What I want to create now is a application for music distribution. i.e. remotely controlling a NeoBook app to play various music tracks out different sound cards at the same time for distributing music in a building. As an example, one playlist goes to the elevator, another to the foyer, another into the lunchroom etc etc.

I am happy to shell out some money for a plugin that can do this, and would love to stay with NeoBook as I know it quite well.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
djpilot

Return to PlugIn Discussions