Source language: Translate to:

New npTool NeoPlugin for NeoBook

Questions about NeoBook PlugIns

Moderator: Neosoft Support

New npTool NeoPlugin for NeoBook

Postby dec » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:37 am

Hi to all!

This plugin is designed to be useful for you at designtime, that is, not when your publications run, but when you work on your publications under the NeoBook IDE. The plugin put a tray icon and menu visible when you run the NeoBook program. Enjoy it!

Favorite folders, Characters map, Search engines, Clipboard viewer, Compilation BAT, Screen color picker, NeoBook code vault,... this utilities are availables to you not only from the NeoBook Window, but in a system wide way, using the customizables hotkeys.

You can download the npTool from here.
Enhance your NeoBook applications!
58 plugins, 1131 actions and 233 samples
NeoPlugins website: www.neoplugins.com
dec

Postby Tony Kroos » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:14 am

That's really cool.
Neobook IDE should be "upgraded" long time ago

p.s: "Compilation BAT" option not enough clear for me, can you bring some light how it may be of help )

pps: can you make an option to show search results for this forum (or maybe any forum) as threads (not as messages, now it gives me 775 pages of messages which are not very useful)
Last edited by Tony Kroos on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Kroos

Postby dec » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:28 am

Hi there,

Tony Kroos wrote:That's really cool.

Thanks Tony.

Tony Kroos wrote:p.s: "Compilation BAT" option not enough clear for me, can you bring some light how it may be of help )

Just an small utility that can be used in order to prepare the appropiate BAT file to compile, run and then open with NeoBook the current opened publication. Just click the Compilation BAT menu item or press the established hotkey in order to choose the place in which the plugin put the BAT file.

Here is a sample of such BAT file:

Code: Select all
@ECHO OFF
CLS

REM Run NeoBook to compile the publication
"C:\Program Files\NeoBook 5\NeoBook.exe" /C "C:\Users\dec\Desktop\My Publication.pub"

REM Run the compiled publication
"C:\Users\dec\Desktop\My Publication.exe"

REM Run NeoBook with the publication opened
"C:\Program Files\NeoBook 5\NeoBook.exe" "C:\Users\dec\Desktop\My Publication.pub"

If you have any other doubt don't hesitate to place it here and I try to help you as quickly as possible.

Thanks again.
dec

Postby cp4w » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:14 am

I don't know if this is possible but of what I would like is having a way to store and use templates.

So if I make a few different types of buttons sized and looked differently I should be able to paste it directly into neobook. or if I have different templates for a pub page, I would like to be able to store and use it through this tool. Also I have some common subroutines that I would like to include in a pub would be nice if this tool would allow me.
cp4w

Postby dec » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 am

shx wrote:I don't know if this is possible but of what I would like is having a way to store and use templates.

So if I make a few different types of buttons sized and looked differently I should be able to paste it directly into neobook. or if I have different templates for a pub page, I would like to be able to store and use it through this tool. Also I have some common subroutines that I would like to include in a pub would be nice if this tool would allow me.

I also unknow at this time if is possible, but I appreciate the suggestions and assert that can be good and that I considerer to add to the plugin if after all we can found a good way in order to implement it. Let me sometime; maybe I have some questions, Steven, but, I back later to these ideas. Thanks!
dec

Postby dec » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Ok. Let's go!

shx wrote:I don't know if this is possible but of what I would like is having a way to store and use templates.

Define templates. ;) The plugin have right now which I name "NeoBook code vault", allowing you to maintain certain files that can contain NeoBook code. You can add any new "code template" that you want, and, edit it using the native NeoBook editor. This utility is similar to the "templates" that you wanted?

shx wrote:So if I make a few different types of buttons sized and looked differently I should be able to paste it directly into neobook. or if I have different templates for a pub page, I would like to be able to store and use it through this tool. Also I have some common subroutines that I would like to include in a pub would be nice if this tool would allow me.

I ask this because to me a template also can be certain code that contain some "tokens", so, in the appropiate momment, the "tokens" are replaced to the associated values. I can imaging a new plugin dialog that allow you to maintain a list of template names/template files.

Then (following that I imagine at this time) we maybe can use the currently available NeoBook code vault, expanded this utility dialog for something like "Open as a template". So, before I present the NeoBook code on the NeoBook editor, I can search for possible template names, and replace this with the associated template content.

What do you thing about Steven?
dec

Postby cp4w » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:42 pm

hello David,
I understood what you mean with the code snippet vault and tokens and it is a useful feature.

What I'm talking about is the ability to paste predefined objects. So if I have three types of buttons that I have standardized with a certain look, size, font etc, I should be able to keep this in a centralized place and paste it into the pub. Instead, I have to either manually change screen objects or copy objects from one pub to the next.

This is true with other types of objects, as well as page layouts containing standardized screen objects.

I hope I was able to clarify what I'm really looking for and what I think would be a great tool if possible.
cp4w

Postby dec » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi Steven,

Now I got the idea. In principle we can save the appropiate "clipboard" content into some template/files, so, we can retrieve later, copy from the clipboard, and paste to NeoBook. The only thing that can complicate this can be the objects representation.

In other words, NeoBook recognize the Clipboard content as objects definitions and then create the appropiate stuff in order to put into a publication page. But this may can be too difficult to do from scratch. A possible solution can be forget the visual presentation and deal with objects templates using certain file/name.

In fact this can be acchieved using some similar utility that the currently available NeoBook code vault, but storing the objects templates in another place, in order to be deal with it separatelly. Any way I got the idea and I promise that take a look and try some possible implementations.

For the other "templates", I think after that we can have some "perfomation" problems, depend of the number of templates/replaces, but maybe this are not a real problem, or also I can found another possible way to do it without consuming the possible to much resources. I need to do some tests.

Thanks again for the ideas. I'am sure that at least I will try with this possible new features.

Thanks again Steven. ;)
dec

Postby dec » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Steven,

I think that finally we found a reasonably way to implement your desired feature. I add a new utility dialog to the plugin which is similar to the NeoBook code vault, but act in some different way. For example, the dialog recognized when the clipboard contain NeoBook objects definitions, and allow you to save it with your preferred name. Also edit or delete the previously saved objects definition, refresh the list, open the folder, etc.

Then, when you have some NeoBook objects definition saved, the only thing you need is to open this utility dialog, select from the list your desired objects definition, and press ENTER or double click the list, so the plugin copy to the clipboard the associated objects definition and automatically close the dialog, in order to free your hands to paste the objects on the publication. Certainly I think that can be a good feature in order to reuse some kind of objects and objects groups.

Update your npTool plugin copy and take a look.

http://neoplugins.com/?plugin/nptool

http://neoplugins.com/?help/nptool#NeoBookObjectsVault

Hope you can consider this utility useful Steven. ;)
dec

Postby cp4w » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:23 pm

O.K. looking good.

A wish list of improvements

- directly pasting into Neobook

- A field indicating object type - button, container, listbox etc

- some way to categorize the objects and not just have one long list

- a notes field on the objects so a user could write some sort of a description

- Multiple object selection so multiple objects can be pasted at one time
cp4w

Postby dec » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:45 am

Hi Steven,

shx wrote:O.K. looking good.

Thanks!

shx wrote:A wish list of improvements

Go ahead!

shx wrote:- directly pasting into Neobook

Where? Remember you need to stay on a publication page in order to paste the objects, so, in principle this task appear to difficult or may impossible, but it's not a problem, do you? Ok, the plugin don't paste the code directly on a publication page, but, the appropiate information are placed onto the clipboard ready to use! ;)

On the other hand, maybe I can remove the "info messages" when the code are copied to the clipboard. Not a disturb message, but, maybe this can save a key press.

shx wrote:- A field indicating object type - button, container, listbox etc

This question can be related with this other:

shx wrote:- Multiple object selection so multiple objects can be pasted at one time

In fact this is know possible, as the included sample show. This is a NeoBook feature, in other words, you can copy to the clipboard more than one objects at a time, separatelly or grouped. And for this can be difficult to show the type of an object, since we can have more than one objects into the clipboard.

Remember when I say above something of a possible "visual" representation of the objects? However, after implement the utility I found that may can be a good idea, but with the "objects definitions" (or templates) names can be sufficient and usefull. It's not easy to make a visual representation, since we need to do something like NeoBook do when paste the information onto a publication.

shx wrote:- some way to categorize the objects and not just have one long list

This can be good. Maybe using folders/subfolders structures. A bit complicated, but not imposible (in principle) so wee need to considerer, not only to this utility, but also for the code vault utility, which is similar.

shx wrote:- a notes field on the objects so a user could write some sort of a description

If we use a database maybe can have more opportunities adding related information, but since we use "simple" text files... the name of the file is the "key" for us. However, I think this can be good or not to bad, because, since we are not use database, we are no need possible database dependencies or particularities. In other words, talking about text files can be easy to copy, move, delete, backup, etc. this files.

Anyway the plugin is in their first version, so, I'am sure that a lot of details, fixed and additions can be done. Thanks for your suggestions, commentes and ideas Steven. ;)
dec

Postby dec » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:21 am

Hi there,

me wrote:On the other hand, maybe I can remove the "info messages" when the code are copied to the clipboard. Not a disturb message, but, maybe this can save a key press.

I replace the message box for a more practical tray icon ballon hint, so this key press is now saved now. ;)
dec

Postby cp4w » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:38 am

hello David, thanks for trying to accommodate my requests.

Where? Remember you need to stay on a publication page in order to paste the objects, so, in principle this task appear to difficult or may impossible, but it's not a problem, do you?

yes I realize it has to be pasted into a specific window but I was hoping that somehow gotten wind of the identified the pasted directly. Not a deal breaker but something useful

In fact this is know possible, as the included sample show. This is a NeoBook feature, in other words, you can copy to the clipboard more than one objects at a time, separatelly or grouped. And for this can be difficult to show the type of an object, since we can have more than one objects into the clipboard.

This question can be related with this other:

both being able to categorize code snippets and screen objects with more than just a naming convention makes the product robust and much more usable. Notes on an item the searchable fields with filters to me are very important. If I use a tool and having lots of items in any easy way of getting to it. This is one of my problems with the book Functions. I don't know if it's something that you would like to do. I know it means it is in a database but I really think that's a plus.

also I know that it is difficult to have a visual representation object but was you could determine the object type from the same object code display corresponding icon of that object.

anyway just some thoughts but will that would be usable for me and I appreciate your attention as always
cp4w

Postby dec » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Steven,

shx wrote:yes I realize it has to be pasted into a specific window but I was hoping that somehow gotten wind of the identified the pasted directly. Not a deal breaker but something useful

I think that cannot understand what you mean. Two escenarios:

1º The plugin must to recognize if the ClipBoard have NeoBook objects and show the NeoBook objects vault automatically? But this can complicate the things and lots of questions appear in my mind.

2º The plugin must to recognize if the Clipboard contain NeoBook objects and then paste this objects to a publication page? Again this appear to complicated and again lots of questions appear.

So I don't know what exactly what do you mean. I understand that you can wanted to save certain objects definition, and, for the other hand, wanted to use certain objects definition. But I can't imagine how this tasks can be automatized, since you decide where to do one thing or other. Or what?

both being able to categorize code snippets and screen objects with more than just a naming convention makes the product robust and much more usable.

Maybe, but, remember that this "names" are refered to files. In other words, from the appropiate dialogs I can maintain a group of files, and manage it from the dialogs: adding, editing and deleting. Other tasks, like for example search on these files, in my opinion, can be doing using another tools, like a text editor.

Of course at this time you can say, hey, but why the plugin don't incorporate a complete text search over this files? Maybe because this is not a trivial task, that can be doing with an external tool... and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. But not only because this need lot of work: also because it's difficult to implement a search engine like NotePad++ yet implement.

Of course, I repeat, this is my honest opinion, and maybe counting with a robust search engine can be a good addition. But this need to much time and resources in order to implement it.

Notes on an item the searchable fields with filters to me are very important. If I use a tool and having lots of items in any easy way of getting to it. This is one of my problems with the book Functions. I don't know if it's something that you would like to do. I know it means it is in a database but I really think that's a plus.

Databases... my fault! First of all I have not to much experience with this. On the other hand, the use of databases implied the use of certain licenses, installation issues, drivers, etc. And on the other hand, the use of the file system is more simple, but not too much poor in my opinion. Anyway I want to try with a couple of enhancements, for example, the possibility to show the items in a treeview, using folders and subfolders. This can help to at least categorize the items.

also I know that it is difficult to have a visual representation object but was you could determine the object type from the same object code display corresponding icon of that object.

In my opinion the "name" of the objects template can be sufficient. In fact I think that the mayor times you don't save only one object definition, but a group of objects at least. In this last case, for example, we can add an icon that represent "various objects". Maybe, when finally I add the "treeview representation", this also can help in order to got an idea of the saved objects: "Buttons", "Edits", "Groups", etc.

anyway just some thoughts but will that would be usable for me and I appreciate your attention as always

I also appreciate your suggestions Steven. At the least I add a new utility to the plugin: Objects templates, with maybe I can't imagine if you don't suggested. Maybe If I have more experience with databases I use it for this cases (we are talking about), but databases (out of MySQL and some simple web applications) are out of my knowledge at this time.

Thanks again for all Steven.
dec

Postby dec » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi there,

I make some fixes, changes, refactorings and enhancements, for example, finally I added the appropiate icon to the NeoBook objects code vault dialog list and a "live search" on both code and objects vault dialogs lists:

Last edited by dec on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dec

Next

Return to PlugIn Discussions