Source language: Translate to:

Calling tools from action-editors

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Calling tools from action-editors

Postby HPW » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:04 am

In 5.5.3 the tools gets more powerfull.

It would be nice if it would be possible to call the tools from any open modal command-wizard.
(Most of them where enouph place is, for example at the bottom near 'Lock Position').

Using the RightClick/SelectAll would then allow to select an action text, copy it to clipboard and start a external tool to process something
and return back to the editor and paste it back into active selection.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:09 pm

Interesting idea. I will add it to the list.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby HPW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 am

After the release of Ultraedit V18 with great smart templates, I would like to vote for this suggeston again to be able to use it in NB.

Under 'Set preferences/tools' add a new tab for external code editor.
There we could add a link to the external editor with an option to define a commandline parameter.

All action dialogs and the action editor gets a new button for the call of the external editor.
When the button is pressed all code gets selected and copied to the clipboard. Then the configured call is executed.
The paste-button gets activated.

When the user is ready with editing the code gets copied back into clipboard.
Then the paste button is used to paste over the selected code.

Regards

Hans-Peter
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:34 am

That probably would work, but you wouldn't be able to insert actions from a drop down menu. Also, what about syntax highlighting?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby cp4w » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Wow!

This would be something that I would be dying for!

I use an editor called EMeditor, that besides being able to insert code from the drop-down and syntax highlighting I get much much more. I get code completion where I can start an action and will complete it for me and keywords other words in the document code completion and more. I know that this is a little vague but if I have a chance I'd like to make a screen cast so you can see what I mean.

But anyway this would be a great feature for me as well.
cp4w

Postby HPW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:07 pm

That probably would work, but you wouldn't be able to insert actions from a drop down menu.

Yes, good point, but i would not completly replace the action editors.
I would use them for most cases as long it is small and simple.
It should be just another option.
Today I can do it yet with a bit more work with copy and paste.
Also, what about syntax highlighting?

Thats not the problem. I have a syntax highlighting definition for neobook script code for Ultraedit.
It is used in projects where I use external srcipts with playaction.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Ndzn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:54 am

I edit externally as well. A Lot. I use Notepad++ that also has syntax highlighting definitions for NeoBook, thanks to one of our own NeoBookers (not sure who, but Thanks!).

As far "getting to the tools", I never have a problem with that because of the "ToolTray" menu I made for this very reason. It lives in the system tray and lists all the tools in NeoBooks Tools menu. I'm lost without it...

:arrow: Free: ToolTray
(...shameless plug, I know)

What I wonder is if it would be possible to make the NeoBook.exe "aware" of changes made to the Pub file externally? When NeoBook regains focus compare the Pub in memory to the Pub file contents. I've written this kind of thing using NeoBook itself thanks to the Activate/Deactivate actions. "Changes have been made to file XYZ. Do you want to reload this file?"
Ndzn

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:02 am

What I wonder is if it would be possible to make the NeoBook.exe "aware" of changes made to the Pub file externally? When NeoBook regains focus compare the Pub in memory to the Pub file contents. I've written this kind of thing using NeoBook itself thanks to the Activate/Deactivate actions. "Changes have been made to file XYZ. Do you want to reload this file?"

That's a good idea.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBook Suggestions