Source language: Translate to:

Examples of 'Mission Critical' applications using NB?

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Examples of 'Mission Critical' applications using NB?

Postby dpayer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:37 am

I would appreciate perspective of those here regarding using NB for a 'Mission Critical' application in an enterprise. I would like to know the general type of application and how it is considered essential to the organization for its operation.

Mission Critical means that the application plays a central role in an operation. Without it, the entire operation will have diminished activity. Mission Critical can be for a one-person enterprise or for a multinational corporation. I am curious to know how large of an organization has come to rely on NB based applications for their continued operations.

I myself have created mostly utilities using NB. But I am well aware of the many strengths of the development platform. Could any of you here share how your app plays a fundamental role in the ongoing productivity of a business operation?

Thanks.

David Payer
dpayer

Postby domino » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:12 am

Around 4 years ago I made a simple NB app for a home based startup business. It was little more than a dbf contact databse and somewhere to list a handful of stock items.

The business proved really successful and now has a number of warehouses shipping lots of products + staff etc.

The NB app has grown organically to handle CRM, invoicing, stock control (bar coded) , marketing, many website functions and more.

The key points I'd make here are that it's highly optimised for this business rather than being a generic product for general release. - and with NB's awesome RAD capabilites and superb plugins I can respond instantly to requests for features and updates.

All my NB business comes from highly customised "utilities" with regular clients rather than anything created for general release.
domino

Postby dpayer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:09 am

domino wrote:Around 4 years ago I made a simple NB app for a home based startup business. It was little more than a dbf contact databse and somewhere to list a handful of stock items.

.......All my NB business comes from highly customised "utilities" with regular clients rather than anything created for general release.

Thank you. This is the kind of example I was hoping to hear. It sounds like your customers are satisfied and the platform offers them the expandability they require. Nice.

David P.
dpayer

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:48 am

There are a number of NeoBook users who don't visit the forum who might otherwise have responded to this post. For example, I recently corresponded with researcher (not a forum guy) who wrote a custom NeoBook app to process data collected during in his experiments.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Gaev » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:44 am

Speaking from my "Corporate World" days ... before 1996 ... when corporations look to deploy third party products ... whether mission critical or not ... the number one concern for them is ... "when something goes wrong one, two or even ten years down the road, are we confident that there will be someone to support it ?" ... yes, I have seen applications deployed for over ten years ... and yes, I have seen applications without support ... because the person went AWOL (on a yacht in the Caribbean) or the company decided to persue other interests or the company was relying on a software compiler/package/platform that was no longer being offered/supported.

This is the main reason entrenched companies (especially IBM and Microsoft) thrive in the corporate world.

Remember that a product from "a one man shop" is more of a concern to such corporations than "a product built on a relatively unknown platform" ... the first can be worked around with escrow arrangements ... the latter would require NeoBook to be escrowed as well.

On the other hand, my experience with SOHO/SME organizations has been quite the opposite ... either they were not aware of the dangers ... or (being natural risk takers) they were not concerned about "low probability events some time in the future" ... more often than not, I was more concerned about the risks they were assuming than they were ... let me hasten to add that this class of applications/users were deployed on a platform other than NeoBook.
Gaev

Postby HPW » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:52 am

Besides utilities for smaller internal use, neobook is used for 2 categories in my job:

product configurators
data input bots

They might be not really 'mission critical' but has proven as important tools.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby domino » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Remember that a product from "a one man shop" is more of a concern to such corporations than "a product built on a relatively unknown platform" ... the first can be worked around with escrow arrangements ... the latter would require NeoBook to be escrowed as well.

Point taken, and a smart developer should be honest with their customers about future development issues and know when or if to walk away, but a mission can be just as critical for small business as a large corporation.

I've seen a few businesses that have wasted thousands of pounds on software that either simply doesn`t work or is grossly overspecified.
.. and don`t even get me started on government specified IT projects that literally cost BILLIONS and are scrapped because they don`t work! (not that most of us of otherwise sound mind would think about tendering for)

My main point however is that the experience gained by the SME customer in formulating software requirements at shall we say the "one man band level" will be of great value when they're lucky enough to be looking to upgrade to enterprise level solutions.

That's what RAD's all about isn`t it?? The bonus is that it can work perfectly well in the meantime and development costs are peanuts compared to bespoke software from a software house.
domino

Postby dpayer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:07 pm

This is an important conversation.

I am confident of the utility of NB. I am thinking of how to make a pitch on a project that would be developed in NB. I want to be able to explain the value, utility and functionality of the platform so it won't be a point of concern.

I know most have not heard of NB and the issue of future support will need to be addressed.

Other comments on this thread are welcome.

David P.
dpayer

Postby TechMediaPlugins2010 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 pm

I wrote some very specialized custom plugins for a few guys that i am sure they use in a very specific apps on industry.
Advanced Plugins for NeoBook
www.techmedia-plugins.com.br
TechMediaPlugins2010

Return to Misc. Questions and Information