Source language: Translate to:

Neobook Mac compiler

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Neobook Mac compiler

Postby RickOShay » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:02 am

With Mac gaining rapid world wide market share and many business environments having PC and Mac shared environments a Mac compiler for Leopard and Snow Leopard would be a real plus.

The other ideal requirement for hybrid web apps would be to unbind reliance on IE - given that IE is losing market share to FF and other browsers. I understand the underlying requirement is MS Active X. But this limits NB apps to the MS /IE platform/ environment.

There are some compilers that can convert or wrap NB/windows apps so that they can run on the Mac OS but they do not guarantee 100% compatibility particualrly where plugins are used.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.farenheit451.net
RickOShay

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:44 am

With Mac gaining rapid world wide market share and many business environments having PC and Mac shared environments a Mac compiler for Leopard and Snow Leopard would be a real plus.

Despite Apple's propaganda, the Mac's market share has been relatively stable over the years:

Image Source: Wikipedia

We currently do not have any plans to create a Macintosh compiler for NeoBook. Some NeoBook features (mainly plug-ins) would not work on a Mac. Currently, the Mac makes up less than 10% of the total computer market, which is quite small. Of course, if the Mac's popularity continues to grow, we may need to re-evaluate our position.

The other ideal requirement for hybrid web apps would be to unbind reliance on IE - given that IE is losing market share to FF and other browsers. I understand the underlying requirement is MS Active X. But this limits NB apps to the MS /IE platform/ environment.

The current version of NeoBook is not intended to be used to create websites or web apps. We are looking into alternative methods of integrating NeoBook more closely with the Internet for future versions.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:25 am

The current version of NeoBook is not intended to be used to create websites or web apps. We are looking into alternative methods of integrating NeoBook more closely with the Internet for future versions.

I like to see that happening. Unfortunately web applications are more and more popular than a desktop onces. Perhaps a new framework that will allow to build a Neobook server and install in user side the appropriate dll's in order to work. Just an idea.
smartmedia

Postby Tony Kroos » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Software market is becoming more and more focused on net and mobile solutions (windows mobile, symbian etc). And there is something to think about for neobook developers, net/mobile solutions are needed right now and will become even more necessary in the future (and there must be no doubts about it). Will it become possible for neobook (someday maybe)?
Tony Kroos

Re: Neobook Mac compiler

Postby NeoScripter » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:53 pm

RickOShay wrote:There are some compilers that can convert or wrap NB/windows apps so that they can run on the Mac OS but they do not guarantee 100% compatibility particualrly where plugins are used.
WineBottler works great with my applications, I can even use quite a bit of my Plug-ins. Even if a NeoBook for Mac were to be made, plug-ins would have to be re-programmed since Mac OS X does not use Windows dynamic-link libraries.
NeoScripter

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:14 am

We're looking into web and mobile options for the future. However, the current NeoBook is very Windows-centric so there are numerous features (plug-ins, etc.) that simply won't transfer to a web/mobile platform. This may mean that a web/mobile version of NeoBook will look significantly different from what you're using now.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby TinTin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:14 pm

talking of apple.. are there any plans on maybe support a build for iphone / ipad ios apps? I know it would mean a lot of work for you guys porting to the platform, but you could even charge for the feature on top of the core Neobook license... and only a handful of people are trying to make the RAD development work with iOS, one being Illumination software, which isn't that powerful as yet...

Just my thoughts...
TinTin

Postby HPW » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:59 am

We all can have many wishes.
But under the aspect of limited resources, there have to be a priority list.
We know that a next major release of neobook is in the works.
There are tons of wishes on the wish list. (unicode support etc.)

So what do the majority want?
Ongoing development on the major platform?

And the bad thing on platform like apple IOS is the bad license policy together with the bad distribution modell
and the need to use apple developent tools. Under this aspect android maybe a better choice.

But either android nor IOS are supported by the delphi compiler,
so every development is a complete new development.

:wink:
Hans-Peter
HPW

Return to NeoBook Suggestions