Source language: Translate to:

Neopaint 4.7c crashes Virtualbox

General questions about using NeoPaint

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Postby beno » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi,

I had to give my Mac user a VM with the old one to get him on his way.

Are you giving away NeoPaint copies?

:?:

beno
beno

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 am

I'm sorry that you're having trouble running NeoPaint under Virtualbox. Not being a Mac user, I'm not familiar with Vitualbox, but my guess is that it's not 100% Windows compatible. If it were, NeoPaint would work.

There are a number of differences between the original NeoPaint 4.0 version and 4.7. Probably one of those changes requires something that Virtualbox doesn't support. You could try contacting the maker of Virtualbox or using a different Mac VM like VMWare, Parallels or Virtual PC.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 pm

So, somewhere between version 4 and 4.7c a change was made that directly references something to do with video card hardware acceleration that Virtualbox don't like...

As far as I know, there's nothing in NeoPaint that directly accesses video card memory or hardware acceleration. I suppose that it could be something in one of the libraries we're using, but since the problem doesn't appear on an actual Windows OS (the environment for which NeoPaint was designed) this still sounds like a problem that Virtualbox needs to address.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby beno » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi,

I am running Win XP on VirtualBox 3.2.6 / ubuntu 10 (Lucid)

After reading this thread installed NP 4.7c on it and runs with no hassles.

Yes, my VBox is not the latest... but does a pretty job with windows XP.

My cent,

beno
beno

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Just FYI that I think you mean to say the problem does not appear on a "bare metal" install

Yes - a native, non VM installation.

Since VirtualBox's shares the same virtual disk file format as VMWare, I may quickly try downloading the trial of VMWare Fusion for Mac, pull it over there and give it a shot to see if there is any difference. Then that should truly rule ya'll out.

It would be interesting to see if any of the other VMs have similar problems. Let us know what you find out.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to General NeoPaint Discussion