Source language: Translate to:

Looking for host

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Looking for host

Postby smartmedia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:32 am

Hi..

I am looking for host that have Remote connection for MySQL database enabled.
If anyone knows anything i will appreciated...
smartmedia

Postby Neosoft Support » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:14 am

Look for a Virtual Private Server VPS account. With this you can configure the server however you like.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby smartmedia » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:07 am

Hi..

Nice suggestion but there is a big difference in cost between a normal server having this ability and a Virtual Private Server VPS account 40$ - 60$ /month.
smartmedia

Postby Boo (Gulf Breeze) » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:14 am

Hi Smartmedia,

Try www.justhost.com. Great pricing and very liberal. I think the sharing accounts offer remote MySQL access--although your settings must be correct... ;-)

Cheers,

- Boo
Boo (Gulf Breeze)

Postby bunker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:53 am

bunker

Postby smartmedia » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:03 am

Hi..

Thanks everybody, finally i came up sign on www.justhost.com
Before sign up i chat with somebody and ask him if justhost has enabled the Remote connection in databases. He told me yes. and also gave me a 20% discount. During sign up some problems came up and finally i got a 50% discount and a free more year of hosting.
Totally, justhost i believe is one of the best hoster's i deal with so far...
If someone want to sign up with 50% discount put 50OFF in coupon box.

Thanks again...
smartmedia

Postby beno » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:49 am

Hi,

I had a project that needed a online database with 100,000 records and hired hosting services with a company that offered a "developer plan". Its advertising did not mentioned restrictions, everything seemed Ok.

Once I setup the database and tried to start my customer project, bahm! the server just sent error messages. Finally the company said their service does not allowed databases like this one (!!!).

Yes, the "developer plan" had a special prize for the first 3 months... but I had to pay 12 months of a useless service until I could cancel it.

Just to share this with you. Be careful. Reality and advertising are different things.

Saludos,

beno
beno

Postby Gaev » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Perhaps smartmedia can keep us informed of his experiences ... I would be interested not only about the availability/performance of the hosting experience but also whether/how remote (MySQL) Database Access was achieved ... because NeoBookDBPro could be made many times more beneficial if it can be deployed in instances of shared Databases on the web.
Gaev

Postby smartmedia » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:39 am

Hi..
Continuing my last report..
After totally 4 hours, i got an email with all my login credentials. My new free domain www.rapidfinder.net was ready and accessible. I got login into CPanel, create a new database and user and gave into Remote connection %.%.%.% After that i was able to connect successfully from my NB application. It supports the latest 5.1 MySQL and that gives you more power to control your database with extra procedures and fixes.
There is not limit on bandwidth or on the number of databases you can create. Also you can assign any number of domains to your account. Has the latest CPanel, you can access your CPanel with multiple ways, by writing your domain and :2082 port or by login into your account from justhost.
Totally my impression for justhost.com so far is the best and i do like the fact that was very friendly and ready to offer me more for the time i was "lost" during sign up. I don't think that you can find those kind of services anywhere...

If i have more news about it, i will tell you...
I recommend http://www.justhost.com without a doubt.
smartmedia

Postby Gaev » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:22 am

smartmedia:

Can you provide an update of your experiences with this Host ? ... particularly any attempts to "access MySQL databases from NeoBookDBPro" ... thanks in advance.
Gaev

Postby smartmedia » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 am

Hi..

Gaev,
If you read my previous post, i am talking about that. MySQL Remote connection is fully supported and i was able to connect with DBPro right away. Since that i don't have any problem. I don't know if you want some specific details about it.

smartmedia

Postby beno » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:31 am

Hi,

I guess Gaev's question is about your remote database connections and NeoBookDBPro: this is: are you using a permanent connection? does this has a nice time response? connection gets lost?

I am just wondering...

Some time ago I did a project with NeoBookDBPro and tried to do a permanent connection to a remote MySQL database and had bad performance, my app response was real slow. Perhaps the problem was my code...

beno
beno

Postby smartmedia » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi..

So far i haven't saw any delay in data or lost connections with MySQL 5. Before 2 years when i was working with MySQL 4 i had some problems, now everything going smoothly.
Also, we must have at knowledge when we working directly with MySQL in server client model to optimize the code in order to be more accurate and run fast. For example you can search for data in a table of 10.MB and get a response in milliseconds or with bad code you can even get DOS (Denial of service) And above all when you work like this, you need to consider enough the security issues. Depend of your host and te freedom he gives you, you can adjust the connection timeout, or even you can set it on your own when you connecting with DBPro.

RapidFinder is an example of NB and NBPro with MySQL 5. Check it out.
smartmedia

Postby Gaev » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 am

smartmedia:

Thank you for the follow up indformation ... like beno said, I was asking if your impression of the web host was still the same after a few months of usage (sometimes hosts will bend over backwards to get a client but then fail to keep promises or the service levels drop later on).

I was enquiring because my web host (of over 4 years) has gone through some ownership changes in the last year ... and this has caused some problems that has made me consider a change (my contract is due for renewal in March) ... and I had long wanted to use NeoBookDBPro in my Applications to access databases shared over the Internet (web) ... so if your host has provided satisfactory service levels (response times, uptime, support) and allows Remote Access to MySQL Databases, I would consider switching to them.

Thanks again.
Gaev

Postby David de Argentina » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 am

Don't forget Robert services !

He provides webservices to NeoBook developers.

http://www.neosoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13625

In fact, I use his webspace, and SQL databases works like a charm.

I think this could be a good "payment" for his free services...

My devaluated cent,
David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Return to Misc. Questions and Information