Source language: Translate to:

Check Plugins Updates

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Check Plugins Updates

Postby bunker » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Español ------------------

Hola no estoy seguro si ya fue posteado esta sugerencia... pero creo que seria bueno tener un botón con el cual se pueda comprobar la disponibilidad de nuevas versiones de los plugins instalados. Igual que lo hacen otros programas como firefox con sus extensiones.

Como todos sabemos algunos cambian de servidores, urls, etc. por lo cual la versión actualizada debería estar almacenada de alguna forma en neosoftware. Es lo que yo pienso.

Que les parece?

Saludos

English -------------------

Hello I am not sure if it was already posted ... but I would be good have a button with which to check the availability of new versions of plugins installed. As do other programs like firefox with its extensions.

As we all know some change their servers, urls, etc. so the updated version should be stored in some form in neosoftware. That's what I think.

What do you think?

Greetings
bunker

Postby HPW » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:59 pm

I can only talk for my plugins, so all my plugins supports the about-dialog where you can find a direkt link to the plugin's page with the latest version-info.
And every installed plugin show its version number behind its name and in the file properties.

Changing servers after a plugin-release will always been a problem.
Who knows what happens in the future?
As long as the domain exists the pages would be accessible.

The faked CheckForUpdate button would only work, when neosoft would add a domain-info filed to the plugin header-info fields and would define a name and format for a version-info file on the plugin home server.
Then a plugin author would have to fill this field and provide the info-file together with the installer/zip on his server.
If the info would not be present the CheckForUpdate button would be grayed out.

A alternativ option to the info-field would be a new interface function similar to nbAbout for example nbVersionCheck.
If present it would be called for the update check and the author would be resposible how to store and check version info.
(It would be fine when the neobook SDK would offer then a function to read a file-content from a file on a web-server)
If not present the CheckForUpdate button would be grayed out like the about-button.

Both options would need a extended SDK and a new neobook version.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby bunker » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:47 am

Yes... I forget to say I did this picture for illustrative way...

What about "file version"? No need to extend the SDK to insert. right?.

The second option you say would be for each plugin and would not be ideal, since you should click each time you select a plugin. The button should check all the versions of the plugins. Where to check? Maybe a database. The author access with username and password and insert 2 fields.

Plugin Name: hpwTreeview
Plugin Version: 2.13

Then neobook check (for all plugins) the "file version" and compares with the online database, then notify if exists new updates.

Obviously a new version of NeoBook yes.

Greetings
bunker

Postby Gaev » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:39 am

Perhaps a simpler (to implement) method might be to have ...

a) a facility within NeoBook to extract the version information from each installed plugin into a text file.

b) the Resource Center have a similar facility (perhaps to a page from where you could just copy/paste the text).

... then one could have a simple NeoBook Application to compare and report.

Just need the Plugin Developers to update this information in the Resource Center.
Gaev

Postby HPW » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:52 am

My two suggested option would also work with a CheckForUpdate button which does call it for each installed plugin.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Return to NeoBook Suggestions