Source language: Translate to:

Send Email and a file

Questions and information about creating Internet aware NeoBook applications. Including PHP, HTML, FTP, HTTP, Email, etc.

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Send Email and a file

Postby Trainman » Mon May 17, 2010 12:57 pm

I have been looking to send an email with an attached file, but can not find a way. I have look at Internet link, this will open an email.

My question is it possible to tell the system to attach a file to the email this creates.

Yours

Trainman
Trainman

Postby HPW » Mon May 17, 2010 1:25 pm

From the help for command SendMail:

SendMail

attachments (optional)

The name of an external file to be attached to the message. Multiple files can be separated with the pipe character “|”.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Trainman » Tue May 18, 2010 3:48 am

I have look at that but every time it asks for the email server.

If I use "SendMail" is their a way for the pub to find this information without the user needing to know his/her settings, so it will work on any system.

Yours

Trainman
Trainman

Postby Gaev » Tue May 18, 2010 4:52 am

Trainman:

From the Help file ...
Note: The behavior of the SendMail Action can be modified by using the global [MailServer], [MailUserID] and [MailUserPassword] variables. See Understanding Actions and Variables for details.
... and in the Understanding Actions and Variables section ...
[MailServer]
The name of the user’s SMTP email server. Used for sending messages via the SendMail Action. If left blank, readers must enter the server address manually before sending email since it can be different on each computer system.

The [MailServer] variable can be used to manually set the name of the reader's SMTP email server. By default, NeoBook will attempt to detect the name of the server before sending an email message, and then ask the reader to confirm if the detected server name is correct. Setting [MailServer] variable to "Detect" prior to executing SendMail will skip the user confirmation if NeoBook was able to detect the server name. For example:

SetVar "[MailServer]" "Detect"
SendMail...

However, if NeoBook is unable to detect the server name, the user will still be prompted to enter it manually.
Gaev

Postby Trainman » Tue May 18, 2010 6:19 am

Gaev

Thank you for the information, but that leaves me thinking that you are unable to setup a system that will attached a file and sent, without the possibility of needing to configuring your system.

Thanks

Trainman
Trainman

Postby Gaev » Tue May 18, 2010 7:54 am

Trainman:
... unable to setup a system that will attached a file and sent, without the possibility of needing to configuring your system

... only if ...
NeoBook is unable to detect the server name, the user will still be prompted to enter it manually.

In such cases, what other option is there ?
Gaev

Postby Neosoft Support » Tue May 18, 2010 9:51 am

NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Trainman » Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Gaev

You are right but look at in my way, if you want to have 30 to 40 peolpe using the program and only 20% understand how to setup the program. With this, each uses a different survice provider, so has different setup needs, then are all over England ( Yes England is small ) This problem is know getting large and will make the project unworkable.

So the people that would be using the system have a basic understanding of the computer that is being used, so to add a setup or asking for the Server Name, most would ask you to explain what are you talking about.

All I want to do is sent a database file to one email address, so one person to compile the data.

Neosoft Support

I have print the topic to read and look at. Thank you for the information.

Once again
Thank you for the Help.

Trainman
Trainman

Postby Gaev » Tue May 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Trainman:

This is NOT a NeoBook issue ... but with any (windows desktop) program that needs to use the PC owner's email.

Even when setting up Outlook Express to send/receive messages, your ISP has to provide details of the smtp/pop mail servers that the mail client (Outlook Express) must use.

Also, I am not sure how the command works in those computers where the user ONLY deploys Browser based Email Servers (like Hotmail, Yahoo and GMail).

As well, the Firewalls in some computers might have to be setup to allow messaging from your NeoBook Application.

As has been discussed in the post mentioned by Dave, this is not an easy thing to do "universally".
Gaev

Postby Trainman » Tue May 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Gaev

Sorry for wasting your time with this question / problem.

Yours

Trainman
Trainman

Postby Wrangler » Wed May 19, 2010 8:13 am

I have several pubs that use email. What I do is create a preferences screen where the user need enter the information only once. On this screen is a link to a help file, which can be a chm or even just a popup or seperate page that gives examples of setting up the most popular email clients, such as Outlook Express. There are many nice Outlook configuration tutorials available online you can copy.

Some online email clients are more difficult to set up. Gmail, for example, uses a secured port (TLS/STARTTLS or SSL), for which Neobook can't handle, and you must enable pop through their online config. Other online services aren't capable of pop3 retrieval through a local client. Online mail services are subject to abuse, so this is why this is done.

Since most folks use Outlook Express as their email client, config help for it is all that is usually needed. Those who still can't get it I help through email or online support, which should be in place anytime you offer a program that those besides yourself use.

It would be ideal to code a program that doesn't require any kind of support, but I haven't found one yet. Too many variables out there. There's always something. A well written, comprehensive help file included is the best way to go.

I know. I hate writing them too. But I also hate having to drop what I'm doing to help newbies unless I have to.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Trainman » Wed May 19, 2010 9:58 am

Wrangler

Thank you for the information, this is the first time I have attempted to use email. On most other projects, I have worked with USB keys and not needed to have people over a large area. So this is a new thing for me.

If I can get this to work well the number of users could be 200 to 300 people.

Once again thank you for the help, and sorry for taking you away from your work.

Yours

Trainman
Trainman

Postby Wrangler » Wed May 19, 2010 10:26 am

No problem Trainman. If you need help with any other parts of the program, drop a post. We'll be glad to help.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Postby dpayer » Wed May 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Trainman wrote:Wrangler

Thank you for the information, this is the first time I have attempted to use email. On most other projects, I have worked with USB keys and not needed to have people over a large area. So this is a new thing for me.

If I can get this to work well the number of users could be 200 to 300 people.

Once again thank you for the help, and sorry for taking you away from your work.

Yours

Trainman

You may be able to configure your own mail server and use it for this purpose. Many places allow you to rent a website with email services. They give you a SMTP server and you can create usernames for it.

You could have your application send via YOUR server. You would be able to put the configurations in the app for YOUR server and then the mail would be able to send out (providing all ISPs use the same port - typically 25 and even allow you you to send out with that port).

Anymore, SMTP will not work in a generic manner. You need to provide the service (meaning you rent and operate the server) and then you can program with certainty the way to send mail.

David P
dpayer

Postby Wrangler » Wed May 19, 2010 6:54 pm

David,

If the pub is to be made available to the public, your idea might come back and bite you in the butt. If someone reverse engineered it, they would have unlimited access to said server. Or at least until it was shut down for spamming. I try to avoid embedding any kind of sensitive information in the exe. Best to let the user use theirs and encrypt it in a config file, which would be much more difficult to gain access to. Even if we were able to use a secured port with Neobook, the access info would still need to be stored safely.
Wrangler
--------------

16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Wrangler

Next

Return to NeoBook and the Internet