Source language: Translate to:

How to select colors in hex

General questions about using NeoPaint

Moderator: Neosoft Support

How to select colors in hex

Postby TechMediaPlugins2010 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:48 pm

When assembling web pages, colors are mostly matched and selected using hex notation, eg: #1f7fb0 instead of R=31 G=127 B=176. Either method is difficult to use in NeoPaint because of the limitations of the color-picking tools.

Is there an easy way to pick a hex color ("#1f7fb0", for example)? The tools given are too coarse. I can get a close match after fiddling for a while, but it's still only a rough match :?:
TechMediaPlugins2010

Postby HPW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:04 am

Neopaint seems to not support HTML color input.
So you need a way to convert the HTML color to RGB

If you own a copy of neobook you could use it and my hpwColorConvert from hpwUtility-plugin to make your own little tool.

So your #1f7fb0 gets 31,127,176.

You could also try online services like:

http://www.drpeterjones.com/colorcalc/

Or google for 'HTMLcolor to RGB' and you will find various converters.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Selecting colors

Postby TechMediaPlugins2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 am

HPW wrote:Neopaint seems to not support HTML color input.
So you need a way to convert the HTML color to RGB

Neither works. Neopaint selects colors with the mouse only, AFAIK, and the mouse is not accurate enough to pick an exact color. The result is close, but not exact. The mouse increments each value by about 8 units per pixel, so a color can be selected only within 8 units, e.g. 0,8,16,24, etc. In hex I can select only C5FFFF, CBFFFF, etc. I can't pick C6FFFF.

I'm seeking a way to select by hex or RGB input, instead of by mouse input, but hex is much preferred since I can copy-and-paste hex values instead of typing RGB values.
TechMediaPlugins2010

Postby HPW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:41 am

Neither works. Neopaint selects colors with the mouse only....

That is not correct.
When you click on the color square right of the color sliders in the left bottom corner, a color selection window open where you can type RGB values.

So with a HTML color converter you can set an exact color.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 am

A future version of NeoPaint will provide an option to enter colors in HTML/Hex format. In the mean time, entering colors in RGB or using a conversion utility (as HPW suggests) is your best option.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

RGB inputs

Postby TechMediaPlugins2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:39 am

HPW wrote:When you click on the color square right of the color sliders in the left bottom corner, a color selection window open where you can type RGB values.

Thanks! That is most helpful. But it wasn't obvious to me :oops: Typing RGB values is a useful workaround. And I look forward to being able to copy-&-paste hex values, in the near future I hope.

It looks to me like there's some significant differences between how some of us do print graphics and others do web graphics, this being one of the different methods. We web types only use hex color selection, and we don't need all the elaborate high-end tools of Photo-Paint or Photo-Shop. NeoPaint is just about perfect - or soon will be with a hex color picker :-)
TechMediaPlugins2010

Return to General NeoPaint Discussion