Source language: Translate to:

File Paths

General questions about using NeoPaint

Moderator: Neosoft Support

File Paths

Postby wimpy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 am

I'm running 4.7b. Neopaint seems to be unable to handle filepaths which contain spaces e.g a jpg file in C:\Documents and Settings\... returns "Can't find Documents" followed by "Can't find and" and so on. If I put the jpg in the root directory and click on it, Neopaint loads with the jpg inside quite happily. Is there an easy fix for this behaviour?
wimpy

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:36 am

I assume that you're talking about opening an image by double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer. It sounds like there is a small mistake in file associations you have assigned to NeoPaint. Below are the steps to add or edit a file association. Step #7 is where I think the problem lies.

1. Double click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop.

2. Select "Folder Options" from the "View" menu.

3. Click on the "File Types" tab.

4. Under "Registered File Types", highlight the type of file you want to associate with NeoPaint. "Bitmap Images" (BMP) for example.

5. Click on the "Edit" button to the right of the file types box.

6. Under "Actions" double click on "Open".

7. In the "Application used to perform action" field, enter:

"C:\Program Files\NeoPaint for Windows\NeoPaint.exe" "%1"

It's very important that the program name and %1 at the end be surrounded by double quotes. Without the quotes, you will receive error messages as you have discovered.

8. Click "OK"

9. Repeat steps 4 through 8 for each file type you want to associate with NeoPaint.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby wimpy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:31 am

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm running XP home. The window you refer to does not have the Edit button. It is already set to Neopaint and only has 2 buttons - a "Change" button and below it a "Restore" button. I seem to remember an "Actions" button in Win98 but there doesn't seem to be one in XP. I can't see any way to upload that image of the filetypes windows to show you what I'm seeing.
wimpy

Postby wimpy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:01 am

I clicked on the Restore button and the Neopaint changed to a windows program and the "Restore" button changed to "Advanced". I clicked on the Advanced button which gave rise to the open command. I changed this to Neopaint.exe (using its filepath) with the "%1" on the end as you suggested. Pressing OK now produces a Jpeg filetype with Neopaint as its opener but with an "Advanced" button instead of a "Restore" button. Unfortunately the behaviour of Neopaint did not change :cry:
wimpy

Solved

Postby wimpy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 am

Hooray. It works. I think I may have had an extra space in the "filename " "%1". I went through and altered all the JPGish filetypes to Neopaint and it now works. Thanks again for your help - your diagnosis was obviously correct. :D
wimpy

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:20 am

I'm glad you were able to solve the problem.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby wimpy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:03 am

Hiwever, if I just click on the Neopaint desktop icon I get " %1 does not exist"
wimpy

Postby Neosoft Support » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:25 am

Hiwever, if I just click on the Neopaint desktop icon I get " %1 does not exist"

It sounds like the command line for your desktop shortcut is corrupted. It should not contain "%1". Right click on your NeoPaint shortcut icon and choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu. Edit the target field so that it contains only the following (including the quotes):

"C:\Program Files\NeoPaint\NeoPaint.exe"

If you installed NeoPaint in a different folder then you will need to change the path above.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby wimpy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:07 am

Thank you.
wimpy

Return to General NeoPaint Discussion