Source language: Translate to:

Storage without drive letter

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Storage without drive letter

Postby dpayer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:10 pm

I was working on an MP3 player and the whole device shows as an icon in My Computer but not as a drive.

You could click on the icon and it would show all the content in (a version of ) Windows explorer. When right clicked, it allowed you to FORMAT (but not the standard format of the OS) which removed all files but after formatting, it reinstalled a series of folders and files.

So, this is a drive with a name, not a letter.

My question is: how is this done? It would be nice to have access to a storage system that was not part of the normal file system (like TrueCrypt does for USB thumb drives). But even such encrypted thumb drives have a letter.

Is there a way to make a drive have a name but not a letter? Can you have a drive/store with no name/letter that is visible? (I know you can hide a letter from explorer but it is still accessible).

I'd appreciate any leads/info anyone has on this.

David P
dpayer

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:27 am

It may have something to do with the driver. You could try going to Device Manager, selecting the MP3 device and updating the driver. I think Windows will assign most storage devices drive letters when it understands how to communicate with them.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to Misc. Questions and Information