Source language: Translate to:

Minor suggestions

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Minor suggestions

Postby Just4Fun » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Forgive me it something here is already present. I just can't seem to see it.

Not sure if these are possible or if it would be worth the extra work:

1. Some way to reorder the objects in the object list. That is, sort the object list by ascending file object names: obj1,obj2,obj3,...

2. Double click on an object list name and have the object's property box open automatically.

3. Add an alignment feature that will space objects equally apart on the screen.

4. Add object effects and give us more effects--a page curl would be nice. ;-)

5. Most controversial and biggest: redesign the menu to simulate a ribbon bar similar to MS Office 2007. Hated it at first and now I really miss the easy of use.

Back with more later. Bet you can hardly wait. LOL

-Rachel
May I never be cured of my curiosity! ;-)
Just4Fun

Postby beno » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi,

4. Add object effects and give us more effects--a page curl would be nice.

Have you tried Billenium Transitions for NeoBook?

Search for this in the Resource Center. Billenium Transitions Rocks!

beno
beno

Postby domino » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Most controversial and biggest: redesign the menu to simulate a ribbon bar similar to MS Office 2007. Hated it at first and now I really miss the easy of use.

Aaaaaaaaargh... (Sorry Just4Fun) but please please please NO.

I hate it with a passion.
domino

Postby Just4Fun » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:05 pm

Domino:

I LOVE a good discussion. I know that many don't like the ribbon so I figured it was a bit of a leap to post the idea. Of course, Neosoft is so talented that, who knows, maybe he will find a way to suit both of us! LOL

I'm glad that you posted and I enjoy other points of view so your post was certainly no problem for me. :-)

If this was a windows forum, I'd be interested in your experiences using the ribbon bar and what makes you dislike it so much, but that would be way off topic so I'll leave that question unanswered.

beno:
Yes. I tried the FX plugin and it is nice, but I guess that I think that Neobook needs to offer more built in effects and features without the use of the plugins.

As a user, I've come to expect built in bells and whistles in authoring systems. Of course, I come at things more from the art angle than the programming angle, and I like to throw things out for discussion. I really don't expect that all or any of my suggestions will make it onto the list for Neobook additions.I just have fun posting this stuff. ;-)

Another couple of suggestions for Neosoft:

1. When the user hovers the mouse over an object, show the object file size and name(KBs or whatever). At least show it somewhere. That would make optimizing easier.

2. More gradient possibilites. ie radial, diagonal from corners, etc.

Hey, I can't resist adding a little something more to spice things up around here.

Everyone have a wonderful day or night depending on your part of the world.

-Rachel
Just4Fun

Postby domino » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 am

Just4Fun said

I LOVE a good discussion. I know that many don't like the ribbon so I figured it was a bit of a leap to post the idea. Of course, Neosoft is so talented that, who knows, maybe he will find a way to suit both of us! LOL

I fear this dreadful ribbon thing will breed and "infect" most commercial software applications in due course... and you'll get your way in time...

(I'll still hate it though :D )
domino

Postby Wrangler » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:14 am

Here's the way I look at it. If Dave added bells and whistles like the Bellenium plugin, 2 things would happen: the size of the neobook.exe would increase; and the price would go up.

I don't mind paying for features that I use, but what if I never have a need for transitions? Now I've been forced to pay for something I don't use. With the plugin architecture in place, I can purchase the feature should I need it, without bloating neobook.

The NeoDB plug is a good example. You can play in Neobook for a year straight and never have a use for a database. A lot of what databases do can be done with flat files, and much faster. Now if neodb was included natively in neobook, I would be paying for something I rarely use (not my actual case, as I use databases a lot). And neobook.exe would be a little fatter and slower.

I think this is why the plugin arch. was added in the first place. Mind you, there are a few features I would like see made native, but I would hate to see anything added that slows down my production.

What we need are more quality commercial plugins, priced reasonably, and backed by documentation and support. And not just sample pubs that you can spend hours right clicking in to discover how it is implemented. I mean an actual document that describes in detail how to use it, with sample code and examples of use. Maybe even a video tutorial. Make it a complete package that one can use, instead of a heap of files in a zip file, waiting to be meticulously dissassembled and analyzed so one can benefit from them.

No need to point fingers. Those who now offer the above know who they are. And those that don't shouldn't wonder why no one buys their plug.

Domino:

Not to worry, mate. Dave just improved the interface in neobook. Safe to say it won't be updated again for a while. Well, it doesn't NEED to be.

My vote on ribbon bar is: Use the time spent on that instead on those items at the TOP of Dave's famous list. If it doesn't improve the end result of my programs, I don't need it. Eye candy and ease of use only contain so much value. Back in the DOS days, (remember DOS?) before Windows, I use to program in Batch File Programming Language. What a pain in the butt. But it didn't slow me down any. I took the only environment presented to me and made the best of it. And I had no ribbon bar. Or mouse. Or graphics. Or...... And I used to create 500k bat files!

And don't forget to send Dave money once in a while just for giggles. We need to keep him around to implement his list. :)
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby Just4Fun » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:51 am

Hey Wrangler:

Off topic, but couldn't resist:

Yes. I remember the Dos days and... Intellivision, Atari 400/800, Vic 20, C+64, Amiga, yada, yada, yada. First Authoring system was CanDo for the Amiga. Sure wish the magazines still gave type in programs. ;-)

The first software program that I ever saw and really captured my interest in computers was Sierra Online's Wizard and Princess for the Atari. Just try to find that title these days. I finally did! I'm framing it. It is almost impossible to get that one now. LOL

-Rachel
Just4Fun

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Wow! Lots of suggestions over the weekend. Must be the lack of peanut butter* has unstuck every-one's brains. :wink:

Anyway, we do appreciate the suggestions and input, and there really is a list! As always, this topic will be printed and added to the pile for consideration.

*The US is in the middle of a massive recall of peanut-based products.

NOTE: NeoBook may contain nuts.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby Odd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:59 am

:)
Odd

Return to NeoBook Suggestions