Source language: Translate to:

Need help with DB on web

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Need help with DB on web

Postby naxoscg » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:49 pm

Please help. This is probably a simple solution, but I haven't been able to find it.

I have a NeobookDB plugin application that works fine on my computer but will not work on others.

I have used [PubDir] in the DB commands and made sure that the dbf files are in the same directory of the web server as the pkg files. The pkg works fine.

My computer will access the dbf from the website (I deleted the dbf on my hard drive to make sure that it was not somehow reading from my local machine), but other computers will not.

I have also adjusted read/write permissions on my web domain and that is not the problem.

I am new to neobook and the neobook db. Any help is appreciated.

Kieran
naxoscg

Postby HPW » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:44 am

NeobookDB/DBF is not a client-server database-system, so accessing the DBF on the server does not work.
You may download the DBF first and access it local, but this may only work for read-access. (The server copy does not get updated)

Or you can consider to use MySQL on the server.
If interested you should search in the forum for MySQL.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby smartmedia » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:51 am

Hi..

Or you can try DBPro plugin who has ODBC connection. I use this plugin long time now with a MySQL database and is working good.
smartmedia

Postby smartmedia » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:17 am

Gaev wrote
That is nice to know ... wonder if you can share your experience ....

a) What type of Tables are you working with ... number of records, size of each record etc.

b) What kind of performance (response) are you getting ... compared to local databases ?

c) Did you encounter any problems getting your ISP to allow access to the mySQL files from your remote client ? ... or do you run your own Web Server ?

d) Did you ever try and run the Access database in the same environment ? ... i.e. having the .mdb file on a server and accessing it from remote NeoBook App client programs ... wonder if it is even possible ?

e) Talking about Access, have you any experience running it in a LAN ... i.e. mdb on a LAN Server is shared from multiple NeoBook App client programs ?

a) Well, in MySQL 4.1 i use all most 2 years now creating tables with any fields is not an issue. If you know SQL language you can actually build a very complex relationship database. They are some issues witch related when you work with NB and MySQL.
1) When you use dbpExecSQL to insert or update records you must first escape the text from characters ( ’ ) ( ” ) otherwise the record will not be inserted or updated. You can escape those characters simply by putting the \ characters before the ’ or ” character. Example: \” This will escape it. Also you must make sure that those escaped characters are in pairs. Example: (Hello it’s a nice day today) this will return error because there is only one ’ character. This issue is pain in the ass. I think that is fixed in MySQL 5 and later versions. If you use the standard variables DBPro use to save any changes in a record, you don’t have that problem.
2) When dbpSort is enabled in a table and trying to add a record some times you get errors. So it’s better to remove it before add the record.

b) The performance (response) has to do with many things. 1) How many hops are between you and the server. 2) How many users are using the same database. 3) How many data you ask in a query. 4) How often are you request data.
Some issues I notice is:
1) DBPro looses the connectivity if there is not a query in 120 sec or more, I am not remember exactly. I think this has to do with ODBC drivers. Remember that ODBC is not the most accurate is fast connection protocol. There is a lot issues about it. To bad we can’t use NET/Connector.
2) DBPro is not understand before you run a query or try to save a record if there is a active connection. If you lucky you get an error from server after you run the query. That mean simply that you cannot know before you actually run a query what is going on in server side.
3) When DBPro loose it’s connectivity, as far as know, there isn’t any way to reconnect without to close and reopen the database.

c) Using a server is a all issue.
1) They are two alternatives. a) You install a server locally in your LAN using for example xampp b) you use a server in internet. In first case you must tell your server to accept connection from IP’s that are locally. Example 192.168.1.1 – 192.168.1.255 In second case, if the application you deploy is used from people around the world, you must say to your server to accept connections from everywhere using willcards Example %.%.%.% With this one your server will accept connection from everywhere. Some servers that have visual interface like cPanel have an option that you can change.

d) I don’t think that you can run mdb files over internet.

e) Running a Access mdb database from LAN is quite simple process. All you have to do is to share the folder database is and map the folder to user machine.
I prefer using Mapping because is reconnect the database as soon the PC is boot up to Windows. There is some security issues you must think of, such if an idiot user delete the database, or your compiled app must be able to run in multiple instances.

I hope I help. If I remember something else I will added.
smartmedia

THANKS!

Postby naxoscg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:24 am

Thanks...i thought i would need to upgrade to DBPro but was unsure if it would meet my needs. I think this may be the easiest way to go.

Your posts were very helpful.
naxoscg

Postby cp4w » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:12 am

c) Using a server is a all issue.
1) They are two alternatives. a) You install a server locally in your LAN using for example xampp b) you use a server in internet. In first case you must tell your server to accept connection from IP’s that are locally. Example 192.168.1.1 – 192.168.1.255 In second case, if the application you deploy is used from people around the world, you must say to your server to accept connections from everywhere using willcards Example %.%.%.% With this one your server will accept connection from everywhere. Some servers that have visual interface like cPanel have an option that you can change.

smartmedia, my ISP does not allow remote connections to the hosted MYSQL database, your ISP obviously does.
Can you share your who your ISP is and if you're satisfied with them?
Does it provide the Cpanel that you mentioned?

Thanks
cp4w

Postby smartmedia » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:41 am

Hi.

Shx,
You said that your ISP is not allow you to connect the database in your host remotely..??? Or your Database Host witch mean your Server does not allow this...???

If you mean the first, is a little wird to me, your ISP not to let you connect to your database.
If you mean the seocnd, there is a lot of servers that gives you this future.
In any case ISP and Host are two different things.
If you check on the google you can find a lot's of servers who support cPanel and remote connections.
Check this sites. I picked them randomly.
http://www.hostgator.com
http://www.cpanel.net/partners/search.html
http://www.godaddy.com
I use to have a site in godaddy
smartmedia

Postby cp4w » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:06 am

I use 1and1 and they say that it can only be accessed using a website hosted by them.
I tried to access it using an application running on the desktop and was not successful.

I think that the fear is that it is a security risk to have the MySql open to remote connections

Thanks for your help.
cp4w

Postby dpayer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:22 am

shx wrote:I use 1and1 and they say that it can only be accessed using a website hosted by them.
I tried to access it using an application running on the desktop and was not successful.

I think that the fear is that it is a security risk to have the MySql open to remote connections

Thanks for your help.

There are times when it is advantageous to rent a VPS (virtual private server) that will give you complete control over your system. In fact, if you had a VPS and you ran a VPN to connect to it, you could treat all connections as local, as if they were on a lan.

Search for VPS offerings via Google. Get comments on providers at webhostingtalk.com. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use VPSLand.com. I have experience with them that is very unsatisfactory.

D
dpayer

Postby David de Argentina » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 am

Hi Jkieran,

Why do no try NeoSqLite Client - Server ?

It's free, no royalties, no install, no ODBC drivers, pure SQL Ansi 92 statements... Local, net or Intranet support... and incrediblely fast...

Take a look of this:

http://www.neosoftware.com/neobook/modu ... d=2&lid=98

My devaluated cent,
David de Argentina
David de Argentina

Return to NeoBookDBPro