Source language: Translate to:

Network Ping and tracert

Post your suggestions for future versions of NeoBook

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Network Ping and tracert

Postby RickOShay » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Basically I would like a function that does exactly what ping does.

* It must support domain name resolution (very important since the target IP may not be known).

* Measure ping times with an average over say 3 pings etc.

* This tool would help in the monitoring of sites/server. etc.

The default MS ping tool is not ideal since it may not operate the same on all target machines due to security issues etc.

* The ideal NB ping tool would accept an IP or URL as input and would return low average and high ping times in ms.

* An alternative to tracert would also be great if it was a built in function. :idea:
RickOShay

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:38 am

That's an interesting idea. It kind of sounds like something that might be more appropriate as a plug-in rather than built-into NeoBook itself.

The default MS ping tool is not ideal since it may not operate the same on all target machines due to security issues etc.

Anything that access the Internet will have to deal with security issues, firewalls, etc. It doesn't matter if it's NeoBook, a plug-in or MS ping.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

ICMP and Port

Postby RickOShay » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:18 am

Having now spent the best part of 3 months researching the whole ping thing - I would like to add the following.

As you know the default ping utility from MS uses internet control messaging protocol (ICMP) which is blocked for security reasons by many servers. ICMP is not port based.
For this reason a TCP/IP (port based) ping that uses an echo response is in my opinion a better solution. All servers have some ports open in particular port 80.

For this reason a port based TCP/IP 'echo' ping is almost always successful if the server is up.
So having a ping tool that can monitor an echo response from a configurable port would be a better solution in my opinion.
RickOShay

Postby Neosoft Support » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:38 am

You might be able to do something like this with a VBScript function.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Return to NeoBook Suggestions