Source language: Translate to:

Maximum Plugin Size

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

What is the maximum size of a plugin i would use?

Any
44%
Under 1 Mb
50%
Under 2 Mb
6%

Total votes : 16

Maximum Plugin Size

Postby adelsysadmin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:06 am

Just Askin ???

Thanks
adelsysadmin

Postby Wrangler » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:30 am

With the power and speed of today's computers, I don't think exe size is quite as critical as it once was. I could be wrong, but I don't think the size a plugin adds to an exe file slows down the program that much. I assume it just takes up space until used within the program, as opposed to packing more code into the scripting itself.

The exe's for my programs range in size from 2mb to 12 or 13mb, and I see little if any difference in code execution. Of course, it would be more evident on very slow computers.

However, it is always a good rule of thumb to keep it all as small as possible in the attempt to cover all users.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby adelsysadmin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks Wrangler

Iam working on a plugin for image transitions, it's about 2mb but after i used a compressing tool (Shrinker) it went down to 1mb (Which i don't think it's a lot). So i was just wondering if NeoBookers care about the size, but as you said :

With the power and speed of today's computers, I don't think exe size is quite as critical as it once was.
adelsysadmin

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:14 pm

I agree. Even more critical is the type of Internet connection you have. With a high speed wireless, cable or DSL connection file size is much less important than it used to be. If you look at commercial applications today, almost all of them are at least several megabytes in size.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby dpayer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 am

Neosoft Support wrote:I agree. Even more critical is the type of Internet connection you have. With a high speed wireless, cable or DSL connection file size is much less important than it used to be. If you look at commercial applications today, almost all of them are at least several megabytes in size.

I have had people try to update service packs from Microsoft on an dialup connection!!!!!!!

When you consider how willing people are to put up with annoyances (time spent online for slower connections) to get what they want/need, I think 2 megs for a plugin as part of an app that fulfills a need, it is not a problem.

David Payer
dpayer

Postby Wrangler » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:33 am

When I had dial-up :shock: I used to download 100 meg files all the time. Just took a few days is all. I used a download manager that would pound away at it for days.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Return to Misc. Questions and Information