Source language: Translate to:

NirCmd: Users with experience of this product

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

NirCmd: Users with experience of this product

Postby forkinpm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:57 am

Hallo!
I have just joined and am also not an IT-person. I have begun to try and use the Command-line tool from NirSoft called NirCmd.

I would like to hear from any members using this product to start the execution of other programs.

I do no seem to be able to grasp the command arguments to trigger the execution of a program.

I would be happy to hear from anyone with experience in using the utility.

Regards, Patrick
I am not an IT person but write and have a need to understand particular tools to make use of my PC easier.
forkinpm

Postby Gaev » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:37 am

Patrick:
I would like to hear from any members using this product to start the execution of other programs.

You can do this without deploying NirCmd ... check out the section in the Help file (of NeoBook) for the Run command.

I have begun to try and use the Command-line tool from NirSoft called NirCmd.

I visited http://www.nirsoft.net/ ... but I can not get to the pages relating to this utility ... keep getting an error message ... You don't have permission to access /utils/index.html on this server ... when I click on the associated link on the home page of this website.

I do no seem to be able to grasp the command arguments to trigger the execution of a program.

If there are other NirCmd functions you would like to trigger from your NeoBook pub, post the actual command you would normally type (at the DOS prompt ?) ... and someone here can then advise on how to do the same within the Run command of NeoBook.
Gaev

Symantec now considers a virus

Postby dpayer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:05 am

As of today, it appears that Symantec (Norton Antivirus) considers this utility a Backdoor Trojan and removes it from the c:\windows directory.

Be forewarned if you built this into a project.

David P
dpayer

Postby Wrangler » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:59 am

I use nircmd in a couple of my projects. I just downloaded the latest version, checked it with 4 antivirus programs, and checked it online at virscan.org with 40 different programs, and THERE IS NO TROJAN IN IT.

Please, unless you can verify using scanners more reliable than Norton that there is a virus, don't post that it has one. It is not fair to the author of nircmd, or anyone on this forum. It just freaks people out, when they don't need to be.

See my comment in this post:
http://neosoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17065
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby dpayer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 am

Wrangler wrote:I use nircmd in a couple of my projects. I just downloaded the latest version, checked it with 4 antivirus programs, and checked it online at virscan.org with 40 different programs, and THERE IS NO TROJAN IN IT.

Please, unless you can verify using scanners more reliable than Norton that there is a virus, don't post that it has one. It is not fair to the author of nircmd, or anyone on this forum. It just freaks people out, when they don't need to be.

See my comment in this post:
http://neosoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17065

Wrangler,

It is not my position to advocate that this *IS* a virus. I wanted people to be aware that norton THINKS it is.

Here is how I found out. I am doing work in a government office. They use Norton Enterprise. They also use a system to patch the computers with various software. THAT PATCHING SYSTEM USES nircmd.exe for functions. It turns out that Norton quarantines nircmd and now the patching system won't be able to use it.

I am not saying this is a good thing. I am saying 'beware' of Norton doing this to nircmd. If you have used it in your application, it may not be there after the next scan of Norton. Then of course people call YOU and say "hey, why doesn't your app work anymore?"

Don't shoot the messenger :wink:

D
dpayer

Postby Wrangler » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:04 am

I understand, David. I misinterpeted what you were saying. But maybe others did too. :wink:

G-man, eh? :) Scares me knowing the government uses Norton. But, then, they ARE the US government. Maybe someone will have the ingenuity to contact symantec and have them fix their definitions. I feel sorry for the author of nircmd, because HE is the one that will be getting "hey, why doesn't your app work anymore?".

I'm not sure, but you might be able to tell Norton to override it's conclusion, so it doesn't delete things without approval. It should be that if a potential virus is found, you have the option of telling it to let it go.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Return to Misc. Questions and Information