Source language: Translate to:

Forum Response Time Really Slow

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Postby Gaev » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:17 pm

The forum performance seems to be acceptable (+/-2 sec) right now (10:00 am PDT).

Yes, there was a brief period of improved performance after I posted ... but slowed down again during the rest of the day.
It comes and goes for me.

Yes, more slow periods than not during business hours (Eastern Time)
I think it could be due to network congestion in certain areas. Gaev is in Canada. There could be a lot of detours or problems accessing this server, where other web sites Gaev goes to may be accessible on a cleaner connection ... ... It explains why it is faster during the off hours. Then add to the fact that 1000's a day are getting online, and the networks are getting plugged.

a) My morning ritual includes a visit to websites in the US, Canada and Europe ... only this forum is slow to respond

b) The fact that NeoSoft's regular web pages (Home Page etc.) respond quickly ... and the fact that the initial pages for secondary forum functions (FAQ, Search, Memberlist and Profile) also respond quickly ... definitely excludes the possibility of network congestion ... it is somewhere between the time the .php script receives a request (to display the main index page or subsequent ones) and the time it sends the results back to my machine ... which all points to "problems handling the large database of posts" ... I don't have first hand experience with mySQL but with other databases, if the alloted memory (real or virtual) is insufficient, a lot of time is unnecessarily spent moving blocks of data to/from external storage (like hard disk).
Gaev

Postby Wrangler » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:03 pm

You make good points. I guess it's one of the downfalls of shared hosting. You also share the machine with others. The Neosoft site loads quickly because there is nothing to it but html, and and http request is one of the easiest functions for a server to handle. That's why Neobook's download internet file action is so fast. The search and faq pages don't make heavy calls, until you click the search button. But, like you said, mysql calls are more intensive, and given the fact that a couple hundred sites share the same box as Dave, there would probably be periods during the day that the ram is maxed, forcing read write to the HD.

I think the only answer in this case would be to upgrade the current account, or renting a dedicated server, which I had to do because I got carried away building my "empire". Many of my sites are php driven, using mysql. I've now got 1.5gb ram in my box, and while watching the log roll by in telnet, I see I rarely use more than a third of that. I've got 27 sites, 2 of which get hit pretty good. But I'm not sharing the box with a hundred other guys running forums. :)
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Postby HPW » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:41 pm

Forum response is getting even more slower.
The last days were bad, but today it is near to unusable.
It shows not much users. Does it share the server with other high volume sites or what is going on?
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Gaev » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:58 pm

Yep ... bad all weekend ... 20 seconds to get the main page ... 12 plus seconds for subsequent pages ... now even the secondary section pages (FAQ, Search, Profile etc.) are taking 12 plus seconds
Gaev

Postby Jay-Bird » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:37 am

Traceroute and other shows good, so I am inclined to think mySQL also...

35+ seconds this morning (25 June @ 7:30 Central Time US)

JayBird
Jay-Bird

Postby Neosoft Support » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:16 pm

I apologize again for the slowness of the forum. We're working to resolve the problem, but if it isn't corrected soon we will move to another server.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby HPW » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:14 am

Today it seems much better. I had to re-login but then it works as before.
Seems that someone has taken actions.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Horst Helfen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:09 am

I can confirm this.
Horst Helfen

Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.
Horst Helfen

Postby HPW » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:05 am

But now back to slowmotion as before!
:cry:
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Gaev » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:14 am

Performance improved as of late last night ... and is quite good right now ... one second for initial response ... another second or two to render the page.

Oops ... spoke too soon ... that was 7:14 a.m. ... now (7:45 a.m.) it is back to about 20 to 30 second response time ... :-(
Gaev

Postby HPW » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:14 am

Now, better again.
I hope it will stay like this.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Gaev » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:05 am

After a couple of weeks of acceptable response times, starting yesterday afternoon, the response times have degraded again ...

yesterday >>> 10 to 15 seconds
this morning (10:00 a.m.) >>> 30 to 60 seconds
now (mid-day) >>> 45 to 90 seconds :x

... by comparison, other sites I visit >>> 2 to 4 seconds.
Gaev

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:40 am

Forum speed seems OK now (10:30 pdt).

We can look into moving everything to a new server next month. Does anyone know the what service those forums that never have problems are using?
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby TechMedia » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:04 am

Try JaguarPC. I have 2 VPS with them and they never oversold. Service is extremely reliable.

Best regards
TechMedia

Postby HPW » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:09 am

Forum and neosoft-mainsite was sometimes not available the last 2 days.
Also speed is not really good.
Any new problems?
Hans-Peter
HPW

PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Questions and Information