Source language: Translate to:

Basic Animation Software?

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Basic Animation Software?

Postby TMcD » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:14 am

I'm needing to create some basic animations to put inside my NeoBook app. the software is being created to train people.

What I have found is very complicated animation software and nothing for beginners, well, what I should say is that I have found very crude beginner software and very high end software, anything in the middle?

The kinds of animations I need to create are not photorealistic, but show how say data flows through a cable and then goes into a box (a computer) and then out to another cable, then splits to two other cables, etc.

To me very basic stuff. ???

I'd like to be able to keyframe some of the animation, so as to not do each frame myself. Easy object/drawing tools is a must.

Export as AVI would be great.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Troy
TMcD

Postby TechMedia » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:01 pm

:D I have a plugin that do this stuff. Save as SWF, GIF, AVI. Why not release it? It will sell 1 or 2 copies, as usual.

I suggest some kind of Flash variation, like SOTHINK products.

Cheers
TechMedia

Postby Gaev » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:27 pm

Troy:
... create some basic animations ... to train people ... show how say data flows through a cable and then goes into a box (a computer) and then out to another cable, then splits to two other cables, etc. ... Any ideas/suggestions?
If the cables are going to be horizontal or vertical only (not at an angle), you might consider use of NeoBook's Rectangle (and Ellipse) objects ... and a Timer object whose Interval section would change the width/height of such objects to mimic animation ... a generic routine could be developed such that it could be repeatedly deployed from Functions like ...
Code: Select all
Call "gkFlow" "Timer3" "intervalPeriod" "numberIntervals" "Rectangle2" "startLeft,startTop,startWidth,startHeight" "changeParam" "changeAmount"

Additional features (like borders and colors of Rectangle objects) could be added to this concept.
I'd like to be able to keyframe some of the animation, so as to not do each frame myself. Easy object/drawing tools is a must.
Suggested technique does not come with a GUI Design facility ... but can be combined with Text and Picture objects offered within NeoBook
Gaev

Postby TMcD » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:31 pm

Gaev,

Good suggestions and I will keep those in mind for an option, but yeah, a GUI would make it easier than coding. (Coding is just about as tedious as using one of the big "professional" animation packages. :)

Troy
TMcD

Postby Gaev » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:21 pm

Troy:
Coding is just about as tedious as using one of the big "professional" animation packages.

Unlike a static canvas, animation adds a fourth dimension (time) to your visual output ... which (exponentially) increases the amount of information required to define your needs to the computer (program) ... the flash platform makes this process somewhat manageable by asking you to only define "key frames" (snapshots in times) ... and does the tedious work of filling in the "other frames" (the in beTWEENs) via extrapolation techniques ... my suggestion does a similar thing ... only via a command instead of mouse clicks over objects for time frames and canvas locations ... either way, you will need to supply more information than for a static canvas.

Having said that, you might consider this product ...

http://www.cadkas.de/downengwww10.php

.. that is inexpensive ($19), and looks (from the demo) like it does a few things very well.
Gaev

Postby HPW » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Did you consider good old neotoon?
:wink:
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby TMcD » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:49 pm

Hans,

Wow, you know, I have never really touched NeoToon, but from what I remember, it's a little too basic for what I need.

Remember, I am trying to find something between basic and advanced. :)

Thanks,
Troy
TMcD

Return to Misc. Questions and Information