Source language: Translate to:

Database Type Overview, please!

Questions about our Advanced Database plug-in

Moderator: Neosoft Support

Database Type Overview, please!

Postby netsurfn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:36 pm

I'm fairly new to the whole database stuff and was curious about which database type is best (Access, SQL, Dbase, etc.) Could someone write a brief overview of each type with pro's and cons.

I'm anxiously waiting to get home tonight to test the beta.
netsurfn

Re: Database Type Overview, please!

Postby dpayer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:07 pm

netsurfn wrote:I'm fairly new to the whole database stuff and was curious about which database type is best (Access, SQL, Dbase, etc.) Could someone write a brief overview of each type with pro's and cons.

I'm anxiously waiting to get home tonight to test the beta.

Dbase is the format used by the current NB plugin. The difference with this plugin is that you can now do "select" statements and other ordering instructions via SQL.

Access is good for many things. Typically it can accept 10 open connections to it at once without problems. It is used in many ASP applications and is easy to start with.

SQL - there are several examples of this: MySQL is free, as is the limited/personal edition of MS SQL. There are no limits on the MySQL, the personal edition of MS SQL is limited to 4 gigs of data (if I am remembering right). It is very easy to upgrade from Access to MsSQL.

The full version of Microsoft's SQL server is very expensive. In fact the license to put an unrestricted SQL server on the net costs thousands of dollars. Most people use the free/limited version.

There are other SQLs: SQLite, good for embedding in apps, can make very large/fast databases, Postgre on many Linux servers, and more.

ODBC is a standard to talk to all these databases. Typically you need a specific connection string or defined DSN to access them. There are other ways to talk directly to MySQL or MS SQL but ODBC is convenient and that is the main mechanism that NB's database offers.

One big difference is the typing of data. Your field has to be defined as to the type of data you want to use: text/data/integer/large integer/ blob, etc.

David P
dpayer

Postby Neosoft Support » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks David.

For standalone applications, I think most people will want to use the MS Access format because it's powerful and highly portable. Most other types of databases require special software and drivers to be installed on your computer. The Microsoft Data Access Drivers (MDAC) required for MS Access databases are included with Windows starting with 98. Therefore publications that deploy Access databases should be viewable on all but the very oldest Windows 95 computers. (Windows 95 users can download MDAC free from Microsoft's web site if needed.)

Support for dBase in NeoBookDBPro is somewhat limited, because all database processing is done through special drivers. This allows the plug-in to easily work with many different types of data files. The dBase driver included with Windows is a little slow and doesn't support memo or blob (picture) fields. It's mainly used for backward compatibility. There may be other dBase ODBC drivers available, but I haven't looked into it.
NeoSoft Support
Neosoft Support
NeoSoft Team

Postby netsurfn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I think I'm starting to understand it a little bit better now :wink:
netsurfn

Return to NeoBookDBPro