Source language: Translate to:

About my website ...

Questions or information that don't quite fit anywhere else

Moderator: Neosoft Support

About my website ...

Postby Gaev » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:03 pm

If the Download links in the NeoBook Resource Center ... or the url in my forum signature ... has not clued you in ... this is a shameless plug for my recently created website ... :-)

Earlier today, I uploaded some pages to the NeoBook Related section ... http://www.scriptedlogic.com/servicesnb.htm ... the idea is to have an organized list of my "Tips" and "How To" code snippets, as well as Free and Other applications of interest to NeoBook developers ... this is meant to complement (not compete with) the NeoBook Resource Center or this forum ... I only plan on listing my own stuff.

I expect most of the entries to be in the "How To" section ... as it looks like the size of the forum (i.e. number of posts) has become its own worst enemy ... seems like new members are unable or unwilling to search previous posts ... and end up asking the same questions again and again ... hopefully, an organized set will help.

At this moment, consider it a "work in beta testing" ... as I have not decided whether it will be offered online ... or offline via periodic downloadable upgrades ... and whether to use simple html documents or a Content Management System (like Joomla) ... finally, I am going to see how the ad-sponsored approach works out ... before deciding between it and a subscription model.

In the mean time, feedback is appreciated ... especially your preferences for ...

- online vs. offline (depends on whether the telco in your country charges you by the minute or not)

- ad-sponsored vs. subscription model

- items that would be welcome in such an offering

- items you don't care for

Thanks in advance for your responses.

</promotion>
Gaev

Postby HPW » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Hello Gaev,

Nice addition to your nice site.

- online vs. offline (depends on whether the telco in your country charges you by the minute or not)

With my DSL-flat I have no problem with online.

- ad-sponsored vs. subscription model

When the ad's are not too much they are ok for me.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Wrangler » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:03 am

What you've got so far looks great.

Offline or Online:

How about both? What you post on your site could be compiled into something that can be downloaded and viewed offline.

Ads or Subscription:

Deciding this one will be tricky. Obviously the goal is to make the site support itself (and maybe a little profit). To make money off of ads requires TRAFFIC. Without it, the numbers won't work. Traffic would require advertising costs, as just the search engines nowadays isn't enough. Since advertising can cost more than what an ad will generally pay, this could be a losing proposition. It can work, but you've got to be in it for the long haul, and look at returns over an extended period of time, with no guarantee of being in the black at any point in time.

A subscription system would of course depend on the number of subscribers. How many would be willing to pay for the useful information that you supply. Since your information will most likely be in English, this presents the challenge of translation, where actual meanings can become mixed up and will most likely generate it's own support questions.

A possibility using Joomla would be to offer some information free, and a subscription if you want the good stuff. Joomla is extremely versatile, and will allow many possibilities.

From the point of view of a visitor, ads would be desired, as the information would be free. Someone who was serious about programming with Neobook would be willing to pay a small subscription price. Personally, I would buy your subscription if for no other reason than to try to repay you for the free help you've provided in the past.

The only thing that would worry me is the lack of interest by neobookers in spending money on furthering their capabilities with Neobook, in the form of plugins, related software etc. Some will pay, but it may not be enough to compensate you for your site expenses.

Maybe a poll here on the forum? Maybe you could get a feel for what people will pay for this service, and which type they would prefer, or if they have any interest at all.

I know that once you decide, whatever you do, I will back it. I have sites I can advertise it on for you at no cost. I hope that other Neobookers will jump in and support it as well, as we will all benefit from it, and already have from your posts here on the forum.
Wrangler
--------------
"You never know about a woman. Whether she'll laugh, cry or go for a gun." - Louis L'Amour

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
16GB Ram
Asus GTX 950 OC Strix
Software made with NeoBook
http://highdesertsoftware.com
Wrangler

Return to Misc. Questions and Information